Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2020, 08:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,766 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I'm surprised you left the fuel tank silver. It's a Tanks Inc tank which is what I have on my TA. I have it coated in a satin black to hide it away.

You'll need to make sure you ground the sender to the car if it's not mentioned in the directions.

Doing great work, Marty. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't coat my cork gaskets in anything. Should I have?

Don’t worry the tank is getting painted as the silver looks awful in my opinion. Not sure why the paint then silver.

From everything I’ve read and heard yes you need to coat the gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 12-19-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechy View Post
Well Nuts are good but painful to hold the rubber from turning, gripping with MULTIGRIPS will tear the brass insert from the rubber. Lube the thread and don't over tighten.

My suggestion would be wiring grommets and fender washers in top holes with nylon nuts barely tight...... and a rubber support pad in a bottom channel.
Since I can easily install a Nylock nut on the back side of the well nut it will be very easy to install and remove if needed. All I would need to do is remove the grill.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:

You'll need to make sure you ground the sender to the car if it's not mentioned in the directions.

Doing great work, Marty. Thanks for sharing!

?
Thank you for the tip on the ground wire. I will make sure I add a note on the tank so I don’t forget.

And thanks for the kind words.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Default Drilling Holes in my Floor (( 09-30-20 ))

I am sure I am not the only one that doesn't like drilling a hole in the floor.

But since it has to be done in order to mount the filter/regulator so here we go.

I was able to drill 3 out of 4 from the underside of the car. However, one of them I had to drill from inside the trunk.

This is simple the best punch on the market (( Thank You Jimmy ))

I wish someone was at home to help me hold the bolts

Found a substitute for my Chunky Bars.

Mounted !!

The Following User Says Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (12-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 05:43 PM

Default Fast Forward Two Weeks Later and I am not really happy (( 10-11-20 ))

I took a couple days off the car and finally was able to get a few rides in on the one of my Fat Bikes. I upgraded the fork & tires and man what a difference it has made.

Looking back I should have installed the exhaust and the fuel tank before I mounted the Filter/Regulator. I am not really happy with how close the line is to the tailpipe. Either way I plan to install the DEI heat shield over the line and the fitting but I am still going to see if I can figure out a better way to run the fuel line.

I slid the Filter/Regulator over about 2" and it looks much better. Not sure if this is going to be the final location but I may move it over a little be more.

I also added a 90 Degree fitting and according to Holley tech's this is perfectly fine.

and then this happened !!!

This is the area of the tank that the tailpipe would be within an inch of.

Ugh !!

So I have a couple choices in front of me and they both involve spending more money.

Choice #1 - Have High Speed Welding make me two new Tailpipes.

Choice # 2 - Order the Holley DSE Clipped Corner Fuel Tank

Calling it a night and going into the house and to watch Kindig It Design on Motor-Trend TV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (12-24-2020), WILWAXU (12-25-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Are you worried about heat getting into the tank? I'd think with the exhaust being that far from the engine and it being wrapped that it shouldn't be a concern. You're just driving the car, correct?

I believe I showed in my thread how I got my fuel lines from the tank to the chassis. Basically, I mounted hard lines on the tank and ran them to the front and around to the side where they jumped to the frame rail via flex hose. This put the fuel lines right above the split in the tank so a few inches lower than you are now. I welded a tab to the side of the tank to act as a bulkhead for mounting the tubing.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 12-23-2020 at 08:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Great progress Marty. You'll be ready to fire it up soon! Merry Christmas.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
Old 12-27-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Great progress Marty. You'll be ready to fire it up soon! Merry Christmas.

Andrew
Thank you and I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Quote:
Are you worried about heat getting into the tank? I'd think with the exhaust being that far from the engine and it being wrapped that it shouldn't be a concern. You're just driving the car, correct?
You are correct I am literally building this car just drive around have fun. Will never see a track and will see any trailheads.

Quote:
I believe I showed in my thread how I got my fuel lines from the tank to the chassis. Basically, I mounted hard lines on the tank and ran them to the front and around to the side where they jumped to the frame rail via flex hose. This put the fuel lines right above the split in the tank so a few inches lower than you are now. I welded a tab to the side of the tank to act as a bulkhead for mounting the tubing.

You did i just went back and looked. I pretty much copied your idea using the Holley PFT lines.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Holley EFI Plumbing Final Location (( 10-18-20 ))

I am enjoying my time off of work and spending time with my girls. My goal is to finally get this thread all caught up.

The final location of the Filter/Regulator has been decided so I will have four holes to fill in the floor. Insert sad face

While I am here I am going to fix a couple things. The exhaust was rubbing on the passenger side tailpipe. The good news is it a simple fix and all I need to do is flip the bracket and change the angle of the bracket.

My Grandfather gave me this vice when I was you and it was his fathers vice. I am happy to say it still works great and I love having it in my garage on my rolling cart.

I clamped the bracket in the vise and gently tapped till it was aiming the other direction. I like using the dead blow hammer as it doesn't damage the bracket and you don't have to hit it as hard as a regular hammer.

Worked out perfect and now all I have to do is have it powder coated.

I am also happy with the new location as it moves the fuel line a good distance away from the tailpipes.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:21 PM

Default It's always nice to have a friend in the Garage (( 10-18-20 ))

I love this little man

Next up make up the fuel lines heading to the Filter/Regulator.

I also headed to the Powder Coater to pick up the driveshaft. I am very happy with how it turned out.

I probably should have put the universal joints in while it was taped up.

Last edited by syborg tt; 12-27-2020 at 05:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (12-27-2020)