Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-27-2020, 05:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,690 Posts

Finally, we are no longer #shadowbanned...

Skip
Old 12-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Thanked 1,763 Times in 953 Posts
Default 2020 10-19 Holley Clipped Corner Tank

So I pulled the trigger and ordered the Holley Clipped Corner tanks and it was the right decision. It has solved my clearance issue with the tailpipe which will also allow me to have extra room if I ever decided to install wider tires on the rear and if I do will at least have the room to make new tailpipes.

Here we go again.

You can see how much deeper the new tank is by looking at the pump assembly.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-27-2020, 06:05 PM

Default Preparing for the Power Tour - Fuel Pump Access Door (( 10-21-20 ))

I know this is overkill but I really don't want to ever have to drop the tank when it has fuel in it.

One of the benefits of the blue tape is I can write notes right on the tank.

Talk about a tight fit.

I needed to open these up just a little bit so I could slide them in place.

So this is how I tightened them back up. Anyone do this a different way as I would love to know if there is a better way.

I put tape on the straps temporarily and once the tank is in for the final time I will install the rubber strips.

Had to call the wife out to help me put the tank in for the first time. Once the straps are bent I can easily remove and install the tank by myself.

Tank is in and it looks so much better.

I had to shorten the lines just a little bit and I was even smart enough to lay the wiring on the top of the tank. This will allow me to terminate the wire at the sending unit and the fuel pump. I will also need to run ground wire which I forgot to install.

I quickly installed the tailpipes just to see how much of a difference the new tank would make.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 12-27-2020 at 06:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
streetbird (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:09 PM

look great, I wish they will make those tanks narrow real soon.
I dont want to spend money for a dse unit
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Default Planning the Atomic 4L60E Transmission Coolant Lines (( 10-24-20 ))

Time to start planning the soft lines for the transmission.

I will need to order a few more fitting from Summit so I run soft lines from the transmission to the hard lines under the core support.

Having soft lines at the transmission will make it easier to remove the trans and i won't have to worry about trying to figure out how I would get a wrench on the fittings if i did a hard line.

Did I mention I have some of the best kids a father could ask for. Not only did my daughter go pick up lunch she stayed out in the garage and had lunch with me and we talked about her day.

Last edited by syborg tt; 12-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-28-2020), fleetus macmullitz (12-27-2020), jarhead (05-20-2021)
Old 12-27-2020, 07:18 PM

Default Tanks Ink Fuel Pump Access Door Install (( 10-24-20 ))

In order for me to be able to install the access door I am going to have to remove all of the parts in the trunk. The good news is most of the parts have already left the trunk and have been installed on the car. So I am feeling like the car is getting closer to getting back together.

Don't hate me as I went to Harbor Freight and bout a disposable panels saw.

and here is why I love the blue tape as all of my measurements are right there.

In order for the panel to follow the shape of the floor I slid the panel up into the curve and slowly pushed it into shape.

Tanks is back out.

You know if it wasn't my car I am sure it wouldn't bother me to cut a giant hole in the trunk floor.

Houston we have a hole.

Next step it to make the floor opening match the access door.

I installed the tank back in to make sure I actually cut the hole in the correct place.

Tanks is back in and I made sure I installed the lines. I wanted to make sure I could get to all of the fittings.

Once I trim up all of the excess I will be able to service the pump, float & fittings.

Holy crud am I making a mess.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:48 PM

Default Panel Bonding the Access Door (( 10-25-20 ))

Time to put the Access panel in for the last time. I applied panel bond on the floor and screwed the panel in for the last time.

Applied some paint & primer in one on the bare metal area's

At some point I will clean off all of the finger prints.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:10 PM

Default 4l60e - 700R4 Case Compare (( 10-27-20 ))

When we built version 1.0 of the car it had a 700R4. Version 2.0 is getting 4L60e built by Atomic Transmission in Villa Park, IL. What I have learned is that the mounting position on the tailshaft is further back and the top of the case is a little fatter. Which means there is a a whole lot less room on the sides for you to reach up and install the wiring and tighten the coolant line fittings.

For now the empty 700r4 case is going back in as I can't seem to find one. You can see I had to drill new holes in the G-Force Crossmember for the 4L60e which are currently hidden under the tape.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:29 PM

Default 5th Gen Edelbrock Shorty Headers (( 10-31-20 ))

So Mike called me to ask what I was doing and I told him I was about to install the headers in the car and that I would call him back in 5 minutes. Every step of the way on this build I wanted to make a car that was easy to work on and fun to drive. Since I a very content with 468hp I didn't see a need for long tube headers and a 3" exhaust. So we took a set of Edelbrock shorty headers and the guys at High Speed Welding made a down tube to connect to the exhaust.

The Following User Says Thank You to syborg tt For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:32 AM

Nice work, as usual, Marty! I always enjoy reveling in your use of blue tape, lol. I’m interested in some info on your trans....I’ve gotta pull the trigger on one for my Nova build and with so many going T56, there’s not a lot of info out there for auto’s, not to mention it’s my first go around with an automatic outside of my daily driver. So interested in why you chose Atomic and if you have any experience? I’ve seen a lot of bad reviews on Monster and my body shop said they’ve not had good luck lately with TCI so I’ve been putting it off and looking around but they all start looking the same. Also love your use of the short flexible coolant lines that connect to the hard lines...I’m probably gonna plagiarize that but I’ll definitely give you the credit! Thanks

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769