Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 07-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Looks great!

I used to build 1:24 models, but I find that I don't have that much patience anymore. Maybe I'll get back into it.

It would be cool to find a 1:12 and do it up like you are. Where do you get your materials for scratch building?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Glues, plastic stock, and metal stuff I get at www.hobbylinc.com most reasonably price place I've found. The other bits, machined bolts and such, just whoever is willing to machine them for me

Artwork Page
Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Have you ever considered using parts from 1/12 diecast cars? It would be expensive BUT...maybe not as expensive as machining/scratchbuilding some pieces. I think the Kyosho Ferrari or Autoart Lamborghinis would be nice starting points. If not anything else the tires and maybe seats would be good things to kitbash.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Forgot to mention the brake calipers and rotors depending on what you got IF you were to go that route. Also forgot the Tamiya Porsche Carrera GT...has some really nice Baer 6P style calipers.

Here's a YouTube video that highlights an F40. You can also find an Enzo and the Porsche in the links over on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVGRY8TBEbY
Old 07-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Kit bashing is really too expensive an option. The limited usability of the parts as well as there not being a guarantee that they would work with the rest of the parts. I have found a 1/12th F1 kit that I'm going to pick up for $15 for the turbos. Short of that, its best to try and find someone to machine the bits and pieces for me, or to find someone with 1/12th kits that will allow me to borrow parts and cast them. I am hoping that my new business venture pans out and I can purchase a mill and lathe.

Artwork Page
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Well a small little update for tonight. Only one picture, but its taken me about 3 hours worth of work to get this one little part done. I've got the passenger side lower 4 link arm done. Well its mocked up. Teh part that mounts to the housing is done. And, as I type this I realize that I've made a mistake. The adjustable end should go on the housing side, and the stationary end goes on the chassis side of things. Well looks like thats going to require some correction. Anyway, this is the way all 4 4-link arms will look. The uppers will be shorter. They are constructed of brass, aluminum, and styrene. Painted flat black, followed by testors dull cote, and finished off with machined aluminum bolt heads and nuts from Hiroboy.

Artwork Page
Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Got some major work done on this guy. The rear 4-link is pretty well finished up as far as fab work. I may have to break apart the inner bars and adjust them a little bit, it looks as though the pinion angle is going to be a bit out of whack. I'm still unsure as to how I'm going to secure the outer bars as everything else is drilled and pinned with styrene rod so that it will actually articulate. There may be enough for me to build a box to attach them with and insert it into the front leaf spring mounts after everything is detailed. the only thing not painted as far as the 4-link goes is the panhard bar. It may need some adjustments as it looks as though right now it may be in the way of the coil overs. They aren't complete yet so I haven't been able to check. Enjoy...

Artwork Page
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Just a quick photo update. I cut some styrene circles to help me mock up the rear end and get the lengths fo rthe 4-link set correctly. I also used these to get an idea of what this beast is going to look like at ride height. I noticed that I'm going to have to re-work the front sub frame, yet again. The cross member that spans the length between the a-arms is hanging too low I think. There is a possibility it may be about right. I'll need to get the front suspension just about worked out to know for sure. Enjoy...

Artwork Page
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Also, I'm looking for someone who can machine some wheel sleeves for me. If you could imagine the outer hoop of the wheel, I basically need for of those in 2 different sizes, 2 front and 2 rear. Any volunteers?!?

Artwork Page
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM

Coming along nicely.