Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Default 68 Garage Built

It has taken a while to get to here. Made motor plates to clear 670 ATS box without cutting up the driver header. Notched frame and made A/C brackets. Made trans crossmember from Th400 mount. Made the rotisserie to hang the body. I have most of the parts to finish just need help with bodywork and decide on wheels. Also a cool shot before I started, 70 FJ40 Cruiser SOLD, 69 El Camino on the side yard all to make room for the 68 camaro.
Attached Images

Last edited by DEIGuy38; 11-04-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
I think the whole owner built concept is commendable, but at some point no one can do it all. I would give a check writer hot rodder more props than a guy who builds a piece of junk in his garage and paints it with brush because he can do all by hmself.

One of my favorite cars of all time is a red 64 falcon sprint convertible with a side oiler 427 that the owner built the whole thing except headers, exhaust and rollbar. He built his own mustang II style front end and rear suspension before everyone made kits. He painted it and did the stiching also. He did so well that Super rod gave him a top 100 like 7 years ago. It took him 12 years to build the car, but it is bad ass.

At some point if you build a nice enough car in your garage, people are going to ask you to build something for them in a shop not your garage. That is how I got started. I out grew the garage and driveway and rented a small shop and 7 years later I have a shop bigger than I ever imagined. I could never fit all the tools I have in my little 2 car garage.
Thanks for calling my cars junk you arrogant asshole, No offense, but if it wasn't for us poor boys -white trash,, that got this ball rolling years ago, there wouldn't be shops like yours,,I was running a Mustang II front end in my 66 Nova in 89, before there was kits,69 camaro with 4" ride hgt, already done that, no bags,, body channeled on frame,
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM

I know Roger, you were doin it years ago in the Hills of Alabama. It was sure nice meeting you when I was there is December, your Kid is pretty nice too. I had good time with Kevin at PRI.

When are you going to post pics of the pickup your working on?

Rodger
Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Here's where mine is now, In process of running brake and fuel lines.

Built the entire frame in house and did all the rotiserie work in my tiny 1 car garage. Painted the bottom outside and it turned out good, will most likely have to farm out the final paint to a shop, but I can do all the prep work.

took the car to my alingnment shop before final welding on the frame and it came out within 1/16 of being perfectly square, it's all adjustable in almost every dimension too...

Rodger, saw your previous post, and you posted it right after my first post in this thread, I have to give you credit, you had the shock mounts cut out for me... Don't knock us DIY'ers, See my Sig

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
Here's where mine is now, In process of running brake and fuel lines.

Built the entire frame in house and did all the rotiserie work in my tiny 1 car garage. Painted the bottom outside and it turned out good, will most likely have to farm out the final paint to a shop, but I can do all the prep work.

took the car to my alingnment shop before final welding on the frame and it came out within 1/16 of being perfectly square, it's all adjustable in almost every dimension too...

Rodger, saw your previous post, and you posted it right after my first post in this thread, I have to give you credit, you had the shock mounts cut out for me... Don't knock us DIY'ers, See my Sig

Hey do'nt worry about the 1/16 ! Next time move the camera to the right about 36 inches Its lookin good (THE CAR)!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69c4x11 View Post
Thanks for calling my cars junk you arrogant asshole, No offense, but if it wasn't for us poor boys -white trash,, that got this ball rolling years ago, there wouldn't be shops like yours,,I was running a Mustang II front end in my 66 Nova in 89, before there was kits,69 camaro with 4" ride hgt, already done that, no bags,, body channeled on frame,
Rodger I take it you know this man?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

We are all do it your selfers in one way or another. Just for some of us it used to be a hobby and now we do it for a living. I don't see difference between any guy listed in this post and Chip Foose. They all are just doing what they can, Chip just has way bigger resources.

Rodger
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Rodger I take it you know this man?
I, (Being Rodger) met Roger in December when I flew to Alabama to go to PRI with Neil Lea or Rods and Resto's and Roger's, son, Kevin. Roger has a bad ass split window corvette. I believe it is listed on the main page. Roger, Neil and Kevin are some really good folks.

http://www.lateral-g.org/members/jennings66vette/

Last edited by ironworks; 02-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM

That split window is nice! One of the best I have seen.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM

great cars guys! you guys should be very proud of the car you build at home.I was blow away by the work from your home. I'm closing shop and going home to finish my cars.