Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
well i sure hope they continue on that growth pattern... LOL.

they're up 6% for me since I bought $1k worth last month.

I buy and hold AT&T (T) for a "steady eddy" and because it pays a larger dividend than many stocks. Ditto this with Verizon (VZ) which I don't own but have from time to time (use these to park money if you're not sure where you want to put it - they don't go down much and don't go up much either).

AT&T etc are the kinds of stocks that you hold really long term because over time they will save your butt when things go south -- and you can count on 'em to not rattle your cage. Stocks like this aren't very exciting when things are going WELL... but they are very nice to own when things aren't and we will all go thru periods when the steady eddies are the only thing "working".

Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
well i sure hope they continue on that growth pattern... LOL.

they're up 6% for me since I bought $1k worth last month.
They are up 18% for me and that was just 3 months ago when I took my 401k and put it into a self directed IRA
Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
They are up 18% for me and that was just 3 months ago when I took my 401k and put it into a self directed IRA
damn!! nice!!

Im trying to get my work to allow us to do self directed 401ks, instead of mutual funds... we'll see.. its an "option" according to the 401k company, but my work has to sign up for it or something like that.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Getting ripped off on my 401K

Looking at the 401K options available to me by my employer, I believe I am getting a bit of the short end of the stick. Basically NONE of the funds available to me in my plan have a decent expense ratio. Even the "Index mirror" funds are over .1 thats $100 every 10K in Management fees ??? !!!! Total BS.... So my question is can I move money from my jobs plan to any kind of retirement account that I can manage myself? For example through Vanguard? Are their tax issues or penalties that make this a bad idea? I assume maybe only the money I contributed is eligible?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Looking at the 401K options available to me by my employer, I believe I am getting a bit of the short end of the stick. Basically NONE of the funds available to me in my plan have a decent expense ratio. Even the "Index mirror" funds are over .1 thats $100 every 10K in Management fees ??? !!!! Total BS.... So my question is can I move money from my jobs plan to any kind of retirement account that I can manage myself? For example through Vanguard? Are their tax issues or penalties that make this a bad idea? I assume maybe only the money I contributed is eligible?

Look into setting up a Personal Brokerage Account through Vanguard. I've seen someone else on here talk about doing that. I'm trying to do the same thing at my work, but we use John Hancock Pensions, and the "company" needs to be setup to allow it (its an "option, JHP said, that my work must approve")... This will allow you to invest in whatever, just like a normal brokerage account. Worth it to check.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Even the "Index mirror" funds are over .1 thats $100 every 10K in Management fees ??? !!!! Total BS....

So here's a "bigger picture" thing to look at IMHO. The fees are "nothing" IF -- BIG IF -- the funds are making your money grow. That, after all, is what you're supposed to be paying the bozos to do!

I would take a harder look at your money growth - dividends, if any, etc and see if - while the fee is annoying - if they're making you a grand for every $100 you're paying them...

Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 AM

A couple "observations" in my Schwab account... when I look at a red letter day like today. I noticed a couple holdings are green. I'm the kind of guy that always looks for "what is different". So on a day when everything is green - I check up on the one or two that are red... and vice versa. I'm looking to make sure I haven't missed some important news event that would affect my holding.

Today -- Mickey D's is up... okay - nice but nothing happening there...

But I also noticed Annaly (NLY) and Blackrock Duration Income (BLW) are UP on a red day... again no particular news... BUT in looking at the chart - I click on the YEAR TO DATE charts of these two...and here's what I love:

BOTH have nice share price gains ON TOP OF outsized dividend payouts. NLY is up 6+% YTD and BLW is up 4% YTD. While that doesn't sound like much (and may or may not hold) those are nice returns if they were all by themselves -- add the dividend and bingo... I'm a happy man.

AGAIN -- This is NOT A RECOMMENDATION -- These are NOT -- read that right -- NOT buy and hold names. We have an adverse rise in interest rates etc - and these get CRUSHED in a stampede for the door. So if you're not watching, and reading the news, and paying attention -- DO NOT buy these kinds of shares. Stick to the MCD - KO - PM - JNJ - KMB - KMP type names.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
So here's a "bigger picture" thing to look at IMHO. The fees are "nothing" IF -- BIG IF -- the funds are making your money grow. That, after all, is what you're supposed to be paying the bozos to do!

I would take a harder look at your money growth - dividends, if any, etc and see if - while the fee is annoying - if they're making you a grand for every $100 you're paying them...

Not really.. speaking exclusivity if the INDEX funds I have... they are making more on fees than I am in growth.... total scam... total BS... the unnamed company managing my $$ has better options.. just not in my plan.. Coincidencely they are my Co. Customer... huuuummmm
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM

You guys know what I love about dividend stocks??

Today the DOW was down 124 points and I finished the day in the GREEN.... Gotta love 'em!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Not really.. speaking exclusivity if the INDEX funds I have... they are making more on fees than I am in growth.... total scam... total BS... the unnamed company managing my $$ has better options.. just not in my plan.. Coincidencely they are my Co. Customer... huuuummmm

Ah ha -- you have a bit of a conundrum there....