Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 AM

I was never able to get mine to work properly. I added an extended neck to increase the reservoir size and it was better but still never worked well. I spent $800 trying to get it to work with no luck(different pumps inside the body, changing the plumbing around, adding more than enough reservoir capacity, etc.). I really think that the design is flawed and this shows when used with hydroboost, the housing was allowing air into the pump causing most of the problems I had. I didn't try the remote reservoir since I was trying to simplify my engine bay. Switched it back to a OEM pump and it worked like a charm.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM

Help!

I was told that I need a "vented" remote reservoir to run with the Hyrdratech system I'll be installing this weekend.

I plan to make my own, but what exactly does vented mean? Is it just open to allow air flow, or do I need some form of check valve or something?

Thanks-
Nelson V.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:51 PM

Intresting topic guys.Please report how your brakes has worked with hydraboost. Is there anybody with stock LS1 / fbody pump reservoir ???
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonV
Help!

I was told that I need a "vented" remote reservoir to run with the Hyrdratech system I'll be installing this weekend.

I plan to make my own, but what exactly does vented mean? Is it just open to allow air flow, or do I need some form of check valve or something?

Thanks-
Nelson V.
Well, I got my own answer, and then some. Here’s my lessons learned…
> I made my own remote reservoir from a solid billet of aluminum. According to Paul (at Hydratech), all that is required is a small vent hole to atmosphere. I placed a small hole around .100” through the “collar” that the cap threads into, and into the cap threads, as well. This allowed me to adjust the vent by “misaligning” the two holes.

> The instructions imply that although the kit includes a tee fitting for the return lines, ideally separate lines should be run so that “feedback” is not induced to the booster. When I first plumbed everything, I ran the hydroboost’s return line directly to the PS pump, and I ran the steering gearbox return line to the remote reservoir. The remote reservoir in turn feeds the PS pump.
As it turned out, the steering gearbox returned fluid to the reservoir faster than it could deliver to the PS pump. Likewise, the hydroboost did not return fluid to the PS pump quick enough to keep it full. What resulted was an overflowing reservoir and an empty pump that sang. Reversing the return lines did the trick and fixed everything (i.e. steering box return runs directly to the pump; hydroboost return runs to the reservoir). No more overflowing; no more singing PS pump.

> At Paul’s recommendation Lubeguard Power Steering fluid additive helped to de-aerate the PS fluid and quiet things down. It’s available at Napa, and according to Paul, don’t let the counter clerk talk you into using the ATF additive if they don’t have the PS additive available.

> I used -6 AN lines and fittings throughout. The kit includes a rubber hose and clamps (and the aforementioned tee fitting) for the returns. But for aesthetics, I used AN fittings for the returns, as well.

> Kudos to the following for excellent sales and technical support:
Marcus at SC&C (http://scandc.com/)
Paul at Hydratech (http://www.hydratechbraking.com/)
Tom at Earl’s Store #1, Lawndale, CA (http://www.anplumbing.com/)
Rich at Smokey’ Speed Shop, Oceanside, CA (http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=20830252)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieracing
Intresting topic guys.Please report how your brakes has worked with hydraboost.
My brakes now work phenomenally. Of course, compared to my original stock front discs and marginally-to-not-functioning rear drums, with little engine vacuum, it’s hard to say exactly how much better the entire new setup would be compared to say a properly functioning factory system. For the record, I am now running 13” Baer brakes for the SC&C SC-AFX package up front (Corvette C5/C6 sized with thicker rotors); out back I am running Baer Iron sports with 11.625” rotors; and obviously the Hydratech hydroboost.

Here's some pics:

Nelson V.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 AM

John, who do I contact for this resivour?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Lightbulb hydrobost set-up 69 camaro

what's up everyone

i have a 69 camaro with willwood brakes all around with 4 piston cal.
i'm planning to install a hydro-boost with this set up. all so,i'm running a dse power steering box. i have a march serpentine system with an external resv. . i'm useing a billet specialty remote resv. i read some of the form notes and everyone seems very happy with the hydrboost, dispite some small problems. any heads up with this set up in my car?

Tony69
Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM

I have some shots of this same problem, I will post some pictures in the morning on how we did ours and can help with any questions you might have. There are a few different ways to solve this problem.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM

I can get you the set up we used, I will post a pic tomorrow so you can see it. it looks sweek and works perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtyme1 View Post
John, who do I contact for this resivour?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

This is the same problem I had with mine, but the backpressure was a result of trying to combine the returns from the steering box and HB into a "T". The return from the box and HB were on the same run (the "T" mounted on the box) and the return to the reservoir on the leg. The fluid shooting out of the box resulted in the HB seeing a backpressure that would apply the brakes. The faster the engine rev'ed, the more the brakes would apply.

Lesson learned? Run a separate return line for each and try to have them end separately into the reservoir.

The stock reservoir, with the available airspace and proper venting system, is very good. High-rpm road coarse use will require a non-reservoir'ed pump (P), remote reservoir, and cooler. Every attempt I've seen to use some type of integrated reservoir with a P-pump has resulted in failure when used on a high-RPM road coarse application.