Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM

Yep, I'm in the old Able Engineering building. I can't find out any information about Cruisin' in the Grove for June 5th and I believe I will be in Mexico for the Baja 500 race around that time. So I don't think I can make it, but post a link to more information about that show if you have one, just in case I don't end up going down to Mex.

A 71? I'm jealous! ...and a 69 Firebird to boot! I've taken pictures of everything I've done so far, I just need to get them on the computer. This is my only automotive project, but I've got so many hobbies that sometimes it's hard to dedicate time to it.

thanks,
Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM

I've taken the axles and 3rd member out for upgrades. Going to a 3.55 R&P with a True Trac diff. Also replacing all bearings and seals in the rear end and upgrading to disc brakes. Here's a crappy pic of the old diff coming apart.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 PM

3rd Member rebuilt. 3.55 truetrac, crush sleeve eliminator, new bearings, seals, new axles, new axle bearings, rebuilt drive shaft u-joint, cleaned up drive shaft, drilled and tapped the axle housing for a drain plug.

Everythings all back together, I just need 10 lug nuts and another Qt of gear oil and I can test it out.

Hoping to cruise up to the Bay Area tomorrow via Hwy 1. Wish me luck!

-Dave
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the update!

Was the pic taken at work or at home??!!!???!!

Hopefully Hwy 1 isn't too foggy..... It sure is nice today.

--Eric
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM

Pictures are from work...my second home. I wish I had all those tools and room for myself. Fortunately my boss's and coworkers are interested in anything automotive related and are very helpful.

For those who don't know I work for an off road racing transaxle company.

-Dave
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM

I put about 2,000 miles on the car this summer. Drove HWY 1 up to the Bay Area and down to LA twice (Venice and Newport Beach). Just last week on my way to work I broke a lower shock mount because the shock was bottoming before the bump stop. I've got a new mount but need to go through and figure out how to get clean travel (probably shorter shocks).

I've also picked up a set of four polished Cobra R 17x9's. They were cheap and I'll be able to get some better tires, although I'm not sure I'm gonna like how they look on the car. Hoping to fit 275 wide rubber all the way around. I haven't mounted them yet and will need to figure out spacing to get them to fit right. I think I'd like them better if they were satin black and just kinda disappeared on the car.

I'm going to Willow Springs Raceway tomorrow to ride along in my friends 68 Camaro. It's an all out track car that he just started racing in VARA. He also races Lemons with some guys so we'll have that car out there too.

I've attached two pictures from the drive north on HWY1 through Big Sur, one picture from driving South on HWY1 across from Neptune's Net in Malibu and the last picture is from working at the Vegas to Reno desert race. I got to ride in this Class 1 race car.

-Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Dave, might want to check out this new Small Block Mopar road race pan Milodon just came out with. Extra capacity, full oil control, stock height under K-member.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=28803

Fall Fling XV
October 30, 2010 Saturday
Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
350+ Mopars, 175+ swap, midways.

Spring Fling Speed Festival April 2011
5th annual, Willow Springs CA, 40+ Mopars,
Event Video 1 Event Video 2
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM

I saw your post on c-c.com. I'll keep that pan in mind, but I'm a ways off from engine work.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM

I bought a used mid 1970's Dodge 360 complete with "RV" cam for cheap a couple months ago. Disassembled it and dropped off the block at a local speed shop this morning. My thoughts are to build a 408ci stroker. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'm planning on having the speed shop do all the machining and balancing and I'll do the final assembly myself. Haven't done it before but I'd like to learn.

Still can't decide on a transmission. I've had two TKO's come up for sale but this being a Mopar complicated the issue and both fell through. Now there's the new RS600 and there is another mopar specific 5 speed coming out. So hopefully those are released and get good reviews in the next couple months so I can pick one to go with the new engine.

Here are three crappy pictures, first of the engine, second is of a friend of mine with a Camaro dirt dragster I saw down in Loreto, Baja Mexico and the third is of my dream car if I lived in that town. Are bad pictures better than no pictures? I was in Loreto during the SCORE Baja 1000 back in November... I just wanted to add more pictures than just the engine. haha

-Dave
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Well it's been a few years since I finished the engine/trans swap. Here's a quick run down of the specs.

-408" small block stroker custom built (K1 crank, JE pistons, Edelbrock heads reworked with solid roller lifters and rockers, Voodoo cam, Edelbrock intake, Holley double pumper carb) about 10.5:1 compression
-TTI headers to a single 3.5" pipe back to a Flowmaster race muffler
-old school mopar 4 speed re-geared w/ 0.80 4th gear and pistol grip shifter
-3.55 rear end with true trac
-upgraded torsion bars/leaf springs/sway bars/Hotchkis(Fox) shocks
-American autowire kit
-Sparco Pro 2000 front seats
-Wilwood front discs (12" rotors), rear disc kit
-VTO 16x8" wheels with 255/50R16 Toyo R888R's
-Borgeson quick ratio power steering

A little different build than most on here but the idea was to make an old school trans-am style race car for the streets. I do road rallies (back roads drives) around Sonoma/Napa and around San Luis Obispo.

I'm glad you guys have kept this website going all these years! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

PS The sideways photo is upright on both my phone and computer and when I tried rotating it and re-uploading it on the computer its still sideways. I guess I'm officially an old guy now. lol
Attached Images

Last edited by SBDave; Yesterday at 08:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBDave For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (Yesterday)