Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grambo90 View Post
hey everyone, i have a 69 firebird with a pontiac 350 with a 3 speed slushbox... no fun, especially at the pump. I want to drive it everyday, so im going to rebuild the engine back to original specs except for a mild cam because i want decent mileage. So my question is... what transmissions out there will fit the poncho block and the trans tunnel (i dont want to cut the car up) i was thinking the cheapest route would be a 460L-E, but what about a t-56 or a tko-500. any help is greatly appreciated.

At such a young age with a nice vehicle. Here is a link http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html that will aide you in your quest.

Also it is best to search classified site such as www.ls1tech.com where is there is always someone who wrecked there car and is parting it out. You will also find www.car-parts.com a good resource for 93-02 Camaro/Firebirds and 04-06 GTOs parts, but the most economical way would be using the classifieds.

Do expect to pay anywhere from 700 - 1500 for a T56 not to include shipping and handling. For this conversion the T56 should fit right in without any problems but you will require the crossmember which can be obtained from here. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/gf..._.htm#Raptor-X

Personally for me I purchased a complete donor car with 70K miles in a 1997 Camaro Z28 this way I have any and everything I desire for my other projects as well at the reasonabe price of 2500.

Best of luck to you in your quest...
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks kagtech... I still have a lot to learn so this should be fun.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Again thanks for the help everyone... this was my first thread so I didn't know what to expect. Also, I'm still unsure of the difference between the lt1 t56 and the ls1 t56, could someone explain??
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM

The LT1 style uses a mechanical throwout bearing, and the LS1 style uses a hydraulic throwout.

I've always heard that the starter interferes with the mechanical linkage on Pontiacs, but I've got no experience with that myself. It may be possible to build your way around that...???

There are a couple different bellhousings you can buy that adapt the T56 to a BOP. McLeod's modular one is SFI approved and quite versitle, but costs about $500. Someone casts one out of aluminum, but I can't remember the name... Keisler has complete bolt in kits that supposedly fit your Firebird. Those are a few places to look, anyway. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM

bolt pattern is also different as well as the input shaft.. all could be changed, but its costly..