Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -George- View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I know I want 10.5:1 compression. We have 98 Octane fuel here at every pump. May as well get the compression up. I know it will produce more efficiency.

My car is basically a street car but I want it to hammer through the RPM's. If light goes green, I want those 600 HP ferrari's behind not in front. THose cars hit 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.

I know Torque is good there, but My purpose to car is to make it handle so it can keep up to those cars on a track to in corners. So I wondered what is the happy middle here.

Im happy with how ferraris drive on the road, no drama with them, but the RPMS fly up when they start to kick the power. I can see a big cube (small or big block) leaving them dead right there. How would more cubes effect a cars road course speed though and why would it be bad (if at all) when it has more to get out of the corners... or is that the actual problem as the car would spin out.
EFI or carbureted? What is your budget for cylinder heads? A set of Kaase heads, for example, will excise all of the Windsor platforms shortcomings (which re mostly related to chamber design and valve spacing). The best part of the Windsor platform is its symmetrical ports. (as opposed to siamesed ports like a Gen 1 small block)

Can you spring for coated everything? pistons, bearings, etc? The right combination will get you to 1.4 HP per cube, EFI. Then it's simply a matter of having enough cubes. 347 x 1.4 = 486 HP Aw....

Cubes:
http://www.dartheads.com/products/ir...man-block.html

Ridetech.com
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Looking at EFI for reliability.

Everyone mentions the Windsor blocks. What about Clevelands?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Horsepower is like that hot looking, busty gal in a bikini that we can't help but look at when she walks by. Torque is the fair looking girl with a nice smile and a good sense of humor that we take home to meet the parents.

Torque is where its happening. More torque at lower levels will make a car more enjoyable on the street. Torque production is also a better measure of efficiency than horsepower, IMO.

It also is fair to say that more cubic inches will always produce more torque or horsepower than less cubic inches. It also will produce that power at lower rpm levels with less effort. However, it also will require more fuel to feed those cubic inches. You can improve the efficiency of the larger displacement by squeezing the charge tighter or introducing better atomization of the charge so it burns the fuel more completely (thus needing less fuel for the same power). This is where the engine build gets tricky because there are multiple factors involved that can help or hurt you and it is never as simple as saying I want X compression producing Y power. It becomes a balancing act of compromises. Also keep in mind that 600 horses from 500 inches requires a whole different level of components than 600 horses from 360 cubic inches because of the rpm levels involved. That can become a huge factor in the cost to achieve the repsective power levels.

Additionally, when looking at the weight you're carrying and how it relates to the handling, with your mustang, you will have a greater range of spring options that can be used to offset the additional weight you would carry with a big block over the small block. You may wear out tires faster, but, that may actually equalize the overall wear of the fronts as they carry more weight to match the burnouts you'll produce with the rears as a result of massive torque under your foot.

One issue of concern with a mustang is that they do not fit big blocks very well. Sure, some were put there by the factory, but their sheer size means service can become more of an issue than an equivilent small block. Ford engine bays, and mustangs in particular, are unfortunatly small. In this regard, your 351 small block stroked to 427 would be an easy answer.

If you don't track the car regularly, I wouldn't get too hung up on racer based perfomance. Race cars are very tempermental, require lots of upkeep, and regular maintanance and need to be inspected regularly (remember the bikini girl above). A street car with lots of torque is more fun to drive within a moderate rpm range and it won't require as much meticulous maintanence procedures as often.

Enjoy what you have for a while before jumping into big future plans. You may be surprised by what your mustang has to offer you. Once you get to the point that you are bored with its power levels, then see where you want to go with it.