Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Let the wife drive my car?
Let her drive it 35 45.45%
Change the subject 42 54.55%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
The more my wife enjoys the car the easier it is for me to justify spending more money on it. Also, she makes more money than me so it's in the best interest of the car and I that she likes it. J/K kinda
Right there with you man. My wife drives all of our cars, and autocrosses them too. She enjoys them as much if not more than I do. Not only is it easier to justify the cost of parts, upgrades, ect.... it makes it more interesting and enjoyable. I know everyone does not have a wife that's into this stuff as much as mine, but she grew up around cars and racing and we don't have any kids to worry about either.
If the wife shows interest, by all means I would let her get involved. If she decides it's not for her, that's fine too. I wouldn't force it either way. I would highly recommend some type of driving school to take the edge off driving one of our cars. I know my wife's ability behind the wheel has been greatly improved by taking a class with our local SCCA autocross group as well as the Evolution school. Even if they never compete at an event they will learn more about car control in one day at the EVO school than they have in their whole life. I plan on going myself next year if I can.

Special Thanks to:
D&Z Customs, Roadster Shop, Weld Racing Wheels, Wilwood, BF Goodrich, Dynatech, and C&R Radiators
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Some guys have wives/familes that enjoy this together and I think that's great! ^ I think you have to own a 66/67 Chevelle to get into that club though...

I've never had a wife or GF drive one of my Camaros. Too hard core for them I guess?

They don't ride my softtail Harleys either (I barely do these days!). Ex wife used to drive our weekend car - Porsche, but I wasn't too happy about that on many levels. I did teach her to go get the truck/trailer when we were taking the boat off the lake, but that's a threadjack...

Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66SuperSport View Post
Right there with you man. My wife drives all of our cars, and autocrosses them too. She enjoys them as much if not more than I do. Not only is it easier to justify the cost of parts, upgrades, ect.... it makes it more interesting and enjoyable. I know everyone does not have a wife that's into this stuff as much as mine, but she grew up around cars and racing and we don't have any kids to worry about either.
If the wife shows interest, by all means I would let her get involved. If she decides it's not for her, that's fine too. I wouldn't force it either way. I would highly recommend some type of driving school to take the edge off driving one of our cars. I know my wife's ability behind the wheel has been greatly improved by taking a class with our local SCCA autocross group as well as the Evolution school. Even if they never compete at an event they will learn more about car control in one day at the EVO school than they have in their whole life. I plan on going myself next year if I can.
My wife did the autocross school, autocross, and drag strip at RTTH's. We both had a blast. To the point where once the 68 Camaro is "done" will start looking for a second classic car. Surprisingly she had more trouble at the dragstrip than the autocross. She did great at the autocross, but she was either short shifting or bouncing off the rev limiter at the strip. I guess I need a brighter shift light??

Like Josh said " it's insured" and to be honest with what these cars seem to be selling for lately it's probably over insured. As long as no one is hurt I'm not worried about what happens to the car. I know she's scared of messing the car up, but I'm not worried. She can't beat on the car any harder than I do, and if something happens that's not covered by insurance I just gives my a reason to make it better than it was.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project
Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

All I could think about at Thunderhill this weekend... is buying (as Charley chided me about all weekend) a Renegade Stacker -- and having a car for Gwen so she could track at her own level (spec Miata etc). She'd love it - but would never admit to it... LOL

I think I'll send her to Bondurant and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM

I converted mine to a stick.

Wife can't drive a manual car (thinks it's a waste of time).

Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM

I can't believe all these wives/gf's that can't drive a stick. I think everyone should be able to drive a stick. My wife daily drives a new 6 speed turbo Regel. My vote was for the coffee sipper automatic. She was the one that wanted the manual trans.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project
Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM

my wife used to daily drive the camaro and i would drive the TA(4th gen) lol
plus she would always been extra carefull when driving since she knew how i felt she has never curbed either of the f-bodys, me on the other hand...

my wife is the same way about sticks, she learned how to drive with one and has always preferred one ever since, even in her car she pay attention when parking (she drive a lowered jetta 6 speed) you get to close to a parking block and the front bumper is done!

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarky View Post
On one hand I was somewhat excited, thinking it might get her more involved in my hobby.
This would be a plus. Especially when buying parts, parts and more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarky View Post
On the other hand, I'm wondering if this will lead to her wanting to take the car without me in it! Don't think my stomach could handle that one.
This would be the negative.
I voted on change the subject.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
I can't believe all these wives/gf's that can't drive a stick. I think everyone should be able to drive a stick. My wife daily drives a new 6 speed turbo Regal. My vote was for the coffee sipper automatic. She was the one that wanted the manual trans.
My used to be able to drive a stick, but MS has pretty much taken that away. Otherwise, she would be more than welcome to drive any car we own/build.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

i don't have a problem with my wife driving my car. heck she can drive better than most guys i know. lucky to have one that tolerates my hobby.