Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM

The plastic cover looks like what I'm looking for honestly. I don't plan on keeping a cover on the car for more than a week or two at one time, and I don't see the plastic harming the paint as I pull it off/put it on. I wouldn't want to leave a plastic cover on my car long term, due to breathability issues. And if it gets too dusty to reuse, just throw it away. The $20 price sounds good also..
What do you guys do with the fabric type covers once dust saturates the fabric after a year or two? Washing machine? I have a truck in my shop that belongs to my brother with a cloth cover on it, and it will have to be cleaned or thrown away, because the dust is so thick on it. It's probably ruined.
Eager to see where to purchase the plastic covers...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
The plastic cover looks like what I'm looking for honestly. I don't plan on keeping a cover on the car for more than a week or two at one time, and I don't see the plastic harming the paint as I pull it off/put it on. I wouldn't want to leave a plastic cover on my car long term, due to breathability issues. And if it gets too dusty to reuse, just throw it away. The $20 price sounds good also..
What do you guys do with the fabric type covers once dust saturates the fabric after a year or two? Washing machine? I have a truck in my shop that belongs to my brother with a cloth cover on it, and it will have to be cleaned or thrown away, because the dust is so thick on it. It's probably ruined.

Breathability is only an issue on a super fresh paint job. We cover cars after 2 weeks of being painted and have had zero issues. The covers don't lock down that tight. Just tight enough to not let dust underneath. We typically use the microfiber cover for bump or dent protection and the plastic cover to keep dust off the soft cover for long term storage. Short term we just use the plastic cover.

My wife said she placed a quantity order for the covers last week to put them on our website. She should have them on there later today. We sell quite a few to customers we built cars for and for local guys who see the covers we have instock to replace them when needed in the shop.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
Breathability is only an issue on a super fresh paint job. We cover cars after 2 weeks of being painted and have had zero issues. The covers don't lock down that tight. Just tight enough to not let dust underneath. We typically use the microfiber cover for bump or dent protection and the plastic cover to keep dust off the soft cover for long term storage. Short term we just use the plastic cover.

My wife said she placed a quantity order for the covers last week to put them on our website. She should have them on there later today. We sell quite a few to customers we built cars for and for local guys who see the covers we have instock to replace them when needed in the shop.
Thank you! I will watch your website, and place an order.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 PM

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.c...434/prd434.htm
Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM

i have used and bought many different types. For inside storage, I had bought a wolf for $40 that is thin like a bed sheet. i don't think they make it any longer. The last time I looked I couldn't find it. So now I have made some out of bed sheets that were sewn together. The thinner the better. They are the perfect solution for me. They fold away in a small package and can be thrown in the wash. The other thing, when I come home from a cruise I don't feel guilty throwing on a light cover to protect it from more dust getting on the car if I am not going to drive it for a week. With a plastic sheet if the car has dust from a recent cruise (even though it's "clean") once you put that plastic on it static may cause the dirt to stick to it, the next time you wash your car and put that thing on i bet it will transfer. Anyway.. way too much info just rambling. good luck.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RSRAG View Post
i have used and bought many different types. For inside storage, I had bought a wolf for $40 that is thin like a bed sheet. i don't think they make it any longer. The last time I looked I couldn't find it. So now I have made some out of bed sheets that were sewn together. The thinner the better. They are the perfect solution for me. They fold away in a small package and can be thrown in the wash. The other thing, when I come home from a cruise I don't feel guilty throwing on a light cover to protect it from more dust getting on the car if I am not going to drive it for a week. With a plastic sheet if the car has dust from a recent cruise (even though it's "clean") once you put that plastic on it static may cause the dirt to stick to it, the next time you wash your car and put that thing on i bet it will transfer. Anyway.. way too much info just rambling. good luck.
Good point, but if you keep the dirty side up and the clean side down it lasts quite a while.
This weekend the del mar car show I will use a new cover over the cloth one as the dew will get the car all wet and with a cloth one it would soak right thru. I can use the plastic one for 3 nights and not feel to bad tossing it away for a clean one when I get home. But dirt will go thru any kind of cloth cover. Plastic is a solid barrier. But not washable. And I would wait for the car to cool down before you put the plastic cover over a hot car. Nver had one melt but heat rises and make a big bubble underneath the cover.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
That's why I like the Superweave cover. Just throw it in a standard size washing machine and you're done. You don't even have to dry it.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 AM

I have a Dusttop from California Car Cover but I hardly ever use it. I really like the idea of using the dusttop with the plastic cover over the top of it, that solves several issues (mainly dew and dust going thru the cover).
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Thanks Dad!!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 PM

Wally world has a cheap fabric cover for $20 maybe a little less or more depending what size you buy.

I bought a "small" and it fit my car really well. Just using it to keep the dust off while it sits in the garage.

For $20 I am pleased with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Semi-Custom-Car-Cover/883183