Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarguy View Post
i mean lets face it based on shear numbers there is far far more mustangs out there to start with for a restomod

and its alot cheaper to get one.

yet you see probly 20 camaros for each mustang that you see restomoded

I have often wondered the same thing, and I have a theory that may or may not hold water. I have been going to T-Bird and Mustang shows since I was about 5, and there have always been rows and rows of restored Mustangs. It seems to me that the restoration and "let's keep it stock for the value" thing hit those cars before the g-machine style came about. You can go to Mustang Round-up in Washington and see literally hundreds of stock, restored, boring (opinion, sorry!) Mustangs. More plain stockers than you will ever see (again, opinion, not based on anything other than a hunch) at a Chevy show. The Camaros had a racier image from the word go, and seem to have been modified more readily than Mustangs. They built the millionth Mustang by the middle of '66, so there are plenty out there, but it seems to me that the overwhelming majority of nice ones are restored, or very mildly modified.
Tim
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM

Default ya im working on mine

ya ill be making more progress with mine soon

im most likely ditching the gt-500 motor for a 05-06 viper v-10 with a custom turbo kit.

Since i can get a complete viper engine and t-56 for less then a gt-500 motor alone

nothing crazy power wise just around 700 rwhp maybee 10-12 pounds of boost.

Last edited by sacarguy; 04-17-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Weird, my feeling is the exact opposite-- around my area the Camaros are usually on the mild side while most of the classic mustang guys have plenty of suspension and brake goodies and a good percentage of them actually track their cars... heck, the club (Nor-Cal SAAC) puts on multiple track days per year and the turnout is always great! No such organization for the F-body crowd.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM

I have a 67 Fastback and ive been on the fence for years whether to mod it from stock suspension..but the biggest problem is options. The camaro camp seems to have a long list of suspension upgrades...as far as the Mustang goes Ive only seen 3 popular choices.

1. Mustang II (which means chopping up the front unibody and removing the factory shocktowers...but which then gives you elbow room to shoehorn in a Modular Ford motor )

2. Use a Coil-over redesign using the existing shocktowers (example Total Control or Global West products)...can also swap the coils for Shockwaves for air adjustability

3. Use the same old technology but with tubulars A-arms

At the moment im leaning with a simple coil-over system and hope that actually makes it fun to drive again
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 PM

The reason is try finding a 67 or 68 Mustang fastback shell that's in need of a restoration for under 12k.There not out there.You can find Camaro shells all day long for 2500.00.Even the 65,66,69 and 70 Mustang shells are becoming very difficult to find whereas Camaros are all over the place.You've seen one restomod Camaro you've seen them all.

The Mustang crowd generally restores them to original condition.I'm building a 67 fastback restomod with Heidts front susp,IRS out of a 2005 Rouch Mustang, supercharged Carroll Shelby aluminum 427SO,6 sp trans.It will be finished next month.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 PM

I have done six viper conversions and I can tell you I prefer the new Ford engine over the viper engines. Both will give you challenges to install in an engine compartment but I can tell you I believe the Shelby motor will be beter received than the viper engine and you need to consider the engine management system to run your turbo viper deal. It might get pricey... The V-10 has it own sound most people do not care for it. Good luck with whatever you decide. I have an extra shelby motor and two viper motors at my shop right now.

Mike

Quote:
ya ill be making more progress with mine soon

im most likely ditching the gt-500 motor for a 05-06 viper v-10 with a custom turbo kit.

Since i can get a complete viper engine and t-56 for less then a gt-500 motor alone

nothing crazy power wise just around 700 rwhp maybee 10-12 pounds of boost.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Supporting Member

What's a Mustang?

W
Old 04-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427gt500E View Post
The reason is try finding a 67 or 68 Mustang fastback shell that's in need of a restoration for under 12k.There not out there.You can find Camaro shells all day long for 2500.00.Even the 65,66,69 and 70 Mustang shells are becoming very difficult to find whereas Camaros are all over the place.You've seen one restomod Camaro you've seen them all.

The Mustang crowd generally restores them to original condition.I'm building a 67 fastback restomod with Heidts front susp,IRS out of a 2005 Rouch Mustang, supercharged Carroll Shelby aluminum 427SO,6 sp trans.It will be finished next month.
theres a lot of wrong statements there.

1. i can buy fast back shells for far under 10 k in decent shape yes needing a ton of work but i can do it easily i just saw one for 5200 no glass trashed interior and no drive train but complete whole body and not a rusted out clunker.

2. who says it has to be a fast back the coupes are good looking cars and theres probley ten times as many of them out there available in good shape CHEAP then camaros you can buy a clean RUNING driver 66-68 mustang for under 5000 dollars.. I know i bought my 66 for 4500 and it had a complete reproduction interior in it ran perfect with a 302 c-4 combo in it.

3. there IS NO independant suspension in the 2005 roushe its a three link with panhard bar.

as for the viper engine there are four different stand alones i know that will run the viper engien and at 13.5 k for the gt-500 vs 7500 for a complete viper motor and trany its a big savings to go viper engine.

yes there are mustang projects out there but you just dont see any many as the chebys
Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM

My twin 14 year old son and I are building a 67 coupe for his first car. It will be a FI 347 5 spd, Cobra front brakes and a 9" rear with explorer rear discs. My other twin son has a 78 T/A we are building.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
theres a lot of wrong statements there.

1. i can buy fast back shells for far under 10 k in decent shape yes needing a ton of work but i can do it easily i just saw one for 5200 no glass trashed interior and no drive train but complete whole body and not a rusted out clunker.

2. who says it has to be a fast back the coupes are good looking cars and theres probley ten times as many of them out there available in good shape CHEAP then camaros you can buy a clean RUNING driver 66-68 mustang for under 5000 dollars.. I know i bought my 66 for 4500 and it had a complete reproduction interior in it ran perfect with a 302 c-4 combo in it.

3. there IS NO independant suspension in the 2005 roushe its a three link with panhard bar.

as for the viper engine there are four different stand alones i know that will run the viper engien and at 13.5 k for the gt-500 vs 7500 for a complete viper motor and trany its a big savings to go viper engine.

yes there are mustang projects out there but you just dont see any many as the chebys

1.If you can buy a 67/68 fastback shell for 5200.00 I'd jump on that deal because it wont be there tomorrow.These are becoming more rare as I write this post.

2.Nobody said it has to be a fastback and neither did I.The reality of it though is people would rather make a clone or replica with a fastback over a coupe.

3.Your right,my bad.A typo.See pics of the 2004 Cobra IRS being installed in my car.

4.There are more Camaro projects due to sheer numbers.The mustang fastback is highly sought after body style,much more than a Camaro.
Attached Images

Closed Thread