Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Default I feel your pain brother

I took a running driving car and was going to drop a big block in it over the weekend. I pulled out the instructions on my vintage air that I am about to put in last weekend...the date was Aug 2001.

So a motor swap turned into a huge re-do on the entire car and have made many changes along the way. I am so close that I can taste it...but damn, it has still been 5.5 years
Old 02-15-2007, 03:03 PM

It all began for me at 17 in Sept. 2002. I bought my first classic car, the 68 camaro and I truly thought at the time that I would be driving her in about 2 months! Boy I really didn't know what I was doing. I am just going on my 5th year, but I never thought it would take this long. I am in college, and truly don't have the time and the funds!! I am seeing the end of the project, but I am just waiting on time! and....money!

I do have those dreams though Trapin! It just stinks when reality sets in or I wake up and realize I am still a ways away. Your old 68 looks great!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM

i dont know HOW you guys do that.. all those years youre just dreaming about driving it..

i dunno whats worse.. that, or paint prison.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King
I took a running driving car and was going to drop a big block in it over the weekend. I pulled out the instructions on my vintage air that I am about to put in last weekend...the date was Aug 2001.

So a motor swap turned into a huge re-do on the entire car and have made many changes along the way. I am so close that I can taste it...but damn, it has still been 5.5 years

OK!!!Thats it for me, i'm unscribing from this thread!!! LOL!!!Thats exactly what i'm afraid of as i KNOW thats what's gonna happen.

Great posts guy's...we should sticky this thing for future use when we need some boost....

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Type
I dont know HOW you guys do that...
It's easy....we're broke.

Seriously though, I have my wheels and tires, the suspension's done, the paint is done, I got my motor and trans, and according to my list of "Things To Buy And Do" it's like I'm half way between base camp and the summit. I mean just to get the damn thing running and able to drive around the block (this is minus interior, trim, and windows) is going to cost a mountain of money.

Good grief!!! Gotta stay positive though, I guess.

Last edited by trapin; 02-15-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM

This entire thread is We have all been there including myself. I have you all beat in double fiqures. 30 years.

R.P.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM

jeebus..
Old 02-16-2007, 07:46 AM

Default All of my parts are bought and stashed all over the

house and garage. Life is just getting in the way. Kids, job, wife are keeping me out of the garage. I need 40 hours and I could cruise the neighborhood.

Ok that's it! I am calling a few friends up and I am going to do a thrash this weekend.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:48 AM

I bought mine...started to "fix it up a bit" and that took me about 4 years...then I drove it daily for about a year and a half and had some damage (the last one that did it was a big dent in the door)

I was so sick of it I put it away in the garage and didn't look at it for a year.

I could have had it repainted and drive it again since it worked fine...but during that year I gathered a lot more goodies....that I now am bolting on.

So since I parked it I am allready 2 1/2 years further down the road.

I am seriously trying hard to get it back on the road this year......
www.pro-touring.nl for the full story.
Martin
Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapin
I'm starting year 6 of my build. I can confidentally say that I'm about 70 percent there but some days it feels like I'm no where near to getting this damn car finished. I try to imagine what it's going to be like to drive this thing and for some reason...I can't, like it's an impossible dream or something. I never imagined it would take this long. I haven't driven this car in 13 years and I can hardly remember what it was like.

I guess you can call this the 6 year itch. LOL!!!

Anyone else feeling dragged down by their projects.

Please tell me it gets better.
Keep your focus. Scope creep will bury your project. Don't ask me how I know.