Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Blake, I knew I liked you!

OK, let me try to expand on this a bit. And I might offend someone in the process, sorry. Before I get started, I need to preface this with the fact I am only high school educated myself. I want to get this out of the way before I get killed for linking this to education, BUT.........................

The reality is most people who do this type of work, do it because they were not educated to do other jobs like doctors, attorney, or any other occupation that requires higher education. The reason most of these people did not go to continuation school is because most were not good students. Most of these people were not good students because they had ****ty work ethics and did not apply themselves as students. Now as adults, not much has changed for most of the work pool available to Blake, Tyler, myself and others in the bus. The lack of work ethics and priorities in most of the people that do this work is amazing. There are very few professionals. By professionals I mean in all respects, not just quality of work. the problems and drama in the lives of most of these people is laughable. In 27 years, I have hired and fired 100s of guys. I have dealt with more probation officers, lost driver licenses, DUIs, custody battles, Garnishments, crazy ex wives and girlfriends, present crazy wives and girlfriends, sometimes all stopping by at the same time. I have had 2 guys I had to fire because I was concerned myself or my staff may get caught in the line of fire when the nutty ex started shooting! And that is no exaggeration!

We also are hiring just one person, a paint and body person. I will gladly pay top dollar for a professional. But I do have a few requirements.

No drugs, (OK, I know that is a lot to ask, how about no drugs or dealing from work?). No drinking (Ok, OK, no drinking at work or no drinking that will affect your showing up the day after), I really would prefer you be over your probation, your garnishments I will deal with. A drivers license is not required, but you won't be allowed to operate the forklift without one. If your ex wife is out of state, or dead, this would be great. If your present wife takes anti depressants, please be sure you personally administer her medication to her each day! Also, please do not have any guns in the house! Lastly, please budget to pay you own utilities bills, it really is a accounting nightmare to pay your bills and deduct the advance from your next check!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
Blake, I knew I liked you!

OK, let me try to expand on this a bit. And I might offend someone in the process, sorry. Before I get started, I need to preface this with the fact I am only high school educated myself. I want to get this out of the way before I get killed for linking this to education, BUT.........................

The reality is most people who do this type of work, do it because they were not educated to do other jobs like doctors, attorney, or any other occupation that requires higher education. The reason most of these people did not go to continuation school is because most were not good students. Most of these people were not good students because they had ****ty work ethics and did not apply themselves as students. Now as adults, not much has changed for most of the work pool available to Blake, Tyler, myself and others in the bus. The lack of work ethics and priorities in most of the people that do this work is amazing. There are very few professionals. By professionals I mean in all respects, not just quality of work. the problems and drama in the lives of most of these people is laughable. In 27 years, I have hired and fired 100s of guys. I have dealt with more probation officers, lost driver licenses, DUIs, custody battles, Garnishments, crazy ex wives and girlfriends, present crazy wives and girlfriends, sometimes all stopping by at the same time. I have had 2 guys I had to fire because I was concerned myself or my staff may get caught in the line of fire when the nutty ex started shooting! And that is no exaggeration!

We also are hiring just one person, a paint and body person. I will gladly pay top dollar for a professional. But I do have a few requirements.

No drugs, (OK, I know that is a lot to ask, how about no drugs or dealing from work?). No drinking (Ok, OK, no drinking at work or no drinking that will affect your showing up the day after), I really would prefer you be over your probation, your garnishments I will deal with. A drivers license is not required, but you won't be allowed to operate the forklift without one. If your ex wife is out of state, or dead, this would be great. If your present wife takes anti depressants, please be sure you personally administer her medication to her each day! Also, please do not have any guns in the house! Lastly, please budget to pay you own utilities bills, it really is a accounting nightmare to pay your bills and deduct the advance from your next check!

I had been out of town for 2 weeks..walked in the shop...everything was screwed up...cut the whole crowd loose...my big old shops sits empty..farmed out the last few customer projects and my stuff sits unfinished. I'm not playing their game anymore. I always sent my personal good stuff to Alan anyway. There are very few guys that do good work and especially fast enough that you can make a buck on them and charge a decent price. Most of them have their own shop...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:41 AM

Dang, I had no idea it was so hard for you guys to get quality people. I thought the best of the best would be knocking the door down to work at a good shop like any of yours. If that is the quality of employees available I semi retract my previous statements. Sounds like they need babysitters.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Nova
Dang, I had no idea it was so hard for you guys to get quality people. I thought the best of the best would be knocking the door down to work at a good shop like any of yours. If that is the quality of employees available I semi retract my previous statements. Sounds like they need babysitters.
that was my shop..not Alan Johnson's (who builds my personal stuff)..but his main problem is also finding and then keeping good help..even though most of what he has have been there for awhile..he would like to have 4 or 5 more quality guys
Old 12-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Tyler, I'm in a different business, but what works for me most of the time is hire someone that is good person, very personable, responsible, and honest. Then you can mold them in many directions and teach them the way YOU want it done and not the way someone else trained them. Most people with training, not all, are not as capable as they say they are. And if they have bad core qualities they will never fit.

Also consider a retired person with background and good core qualities that doesn't need alot of money and is doing it for fun and comradery a few days a week.

Good luck, its not easy.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams
Tyler, I'm in a different business, but what works for me most of the time is hire someone that is good person, very personable, responsible, and honest. Then you can mold them in many directions and teach them the way YOU want it done and not the way someone else trained them. Most people with training, not all, are not as capable as they say they are. And if they have bad core qualities they will never fit.
Exactly why I hired the good kids
Old 12-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams
Exactly why I hired the good kids
Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Nova
The best of the best have their own shop. Why work for someone else for some of the money when they can have it all, or so they think? Look at who Trepanier hires, fresh meat out of UTI that have a desire to work in the industry and are moldable.

Mike
Old 12-31-2006, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz
Why work for someone else for some of the money when they can have it all, or so they think?

after being self employed/having my own shop for 12 years, then moving on to "workin for the man", i would rather work for somebody else and let them deal with the headaches of running the business...so i can do what i do.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM

Frank
i think i will use your Hiring Qualities in my next Ad.
what is it about Paint and body guys.......is it trully the fumes??

Honestly if ANYONE is out there and has read this and thinks they can actually do the JOB my cheque book is on the counter.
i Just got back from Holidays and met a guy who is in the Canadain Forces, ( i know all the jokes will fly now) actually i was quite enlightened to waht they do, anyway he is a mechanic and has been to Bosina TWICE!! and is set to retire (at 38) and says he is able to write his own deal to work where ever he wants simply because of his DISIPLINE. Employers know he will show up and do his job, like he said " when we are in theater ktake a guess what happes if i dont fix something correctly.............. people DIE gaurenteed, i aske if he wanted a JOB, then he told me he made 90,000.00 TAX FREE last year oh wait thats cuz he was being shot at.