Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 AM

Scott, it sounds like the geometry is altered in a bad way to achieve the desired ride height. Wow, I've never heard of that happening before. LOL

If it were me, I'd put big block springs in the car to get the correct geometry, and suspension travel. Then run drop spindles to achieve the ride height your looking for. That is what I had to do on my AMX chassis. Even with an aftermarket frame stub. Geometry and travel, trump everything else.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM

I was going to go kind of the same route, on my car I spent countless hours cycling the front suspension with the springs removed trying to gain as much travel as I could. The more it traveled, the more stuff hit. Once I had everything clearanced and all of the travel I could get, I then measured for shock length and calculated which springs to use.

I started with about a half inch between my bump stops and the frame as well, I now have almost 2" of bump travel up front and the car only sits about a half inch higher at ride height than before.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Just ditch the wubba stops.... problem solved.

The thing to have done was to run the suspension/travel with wheel/tire mounted -- sans spring - and see what clearance issues you'd have - and then weld a stop where it needed to be for "protection" purposes.... or find/modify a wubba stop to work.

So now you can disassemble the suspension on one side and do that.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57hemicuda View Post
Scott, it sounds like the geometry is altered in a bad way to achieve the desired ride height. Wow, I've never heard of that happening before. LOL

If it were me, I'd put big block springs in the car to get the correct geometry, and suspension travel. Then run drop spindles to achieve the ride height your looking for. That is what I had to do on my AMX chassis. Even with an aftermarket frame stub. Geometry and travel, trump everything else.
You mean mine isn't the first one?

Agreed on longer springs and drop spindles as the proper cure. With the current pro-tinkering budget altered wubba stops and spacers will probably prevail.......technically it 'should' will be an 'improvement' from where it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I was going to go kind of the same route, on my car I spent countless hours cycling the front suspension with the springs removed trying to gain as much travel as I could. The more it traveled, the more stuff hit. Once I had everything clearanced and all of the travel I could get, I then measured for shock length and calculated which springs to use.

I started with about a half inch between my bump stops and the frame as well, I now have almost 2" of bump travel up front and the car only sits about a half inch higher at ride height than before.
2" eh............Bragger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Just ditch the wubba stops.... problem solved.

The thing to have done was to run the suspension/travel with wheel/tire mounted -- sans spring - and see what clearance issues you'd have - and then weld a stop where it needed to be for "protection" purposes.... or find/modify a wubba stop to work.

So now you can disassemble the suspension on one side and do that.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I did cycle it w/o springs, but with the stops. I optimistically put it back together to know where everything sits at ride height knowing it would most likely be disassembled.........again.

I'll have disassembly and assembly of these archaic front ends down pat when it's all said and done........whoopie.

I will say that using the flexible cutting boards for turn plates was really slick, pun intended. Though I did need one last night for dicing asparagus.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Norwood

Reminds me of the 800lb springs I had put on
the Firebird years ago... when I got it back from
the suspension guy ( a Norcal Shelby Otec guy) I
told him it sat too high.. he said the geometry was
perfect and go run it to see how it does... next event
I won and the car was on rails..

I went back and said it ran great but looks like crap
he said Dropped spindles would fix it... no one made
them at that time so I left it... now we have new arms, spindles,coilovers,
taller ball joints, different size bump stops,etc, etc.. where does it stop

Bob
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

Just so you know we're all white men Lance. Mine has 3" of compression, and 2" of rebound.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

On my last set-up, i left the bump stops but cut them down to 3/4 to 1" at LCA (i had cut the snot outa my hotchkis springs to get desired ride height) once cut, no bump (well, when i wasn't dukes of hazzard'in it), i tend to drive the car like my Katoom, perhaps i should stop doing that.....
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 PM

Judging by your control arms and bump stops, you have way more rebound than compresson available in your suspension. Is your shock in the same place in the stroke? Let's pretend you have 1.5 inches of compression left at the wheel. That will likely result in half that at the grease zerk?

Taking some measurements and then running the suspension through its range without the springs will allow you to dial it all in. Raising the car will need to happen either way if you want to be anywhere close to your shock sweet spot and greatest handling capabilities.

This is why people buy subframes.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 PM

As long as you don't drop it too fast off the floor jack....I don't see any issues.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Judging by your control arms and bump stops, you have way more rebound than compression available in your suspension. Is your shock in the same place in the stroke? Let's pretend you have 1.5 inches of compression left at the wheel. That will likely result in half that at the grease zerk?

Taking some measurements and then running the suspension through its range without the springs will allow you to dial it all in. Raising the car will need to happen either way if you want to be anywhere close to your shock sweet spot and greatest handling capabilities.
Now that I've removed MY speculation by putting it on it's own weight and seen the clearance issues first hand, the spring spacers and shorter bump stops are in transit. That's certainly not going to make it ideal but it may be an improvement from the original setup and where it sits currently. Far from ideal, but with the firmer springs and spacers it could deliver twice the compression travel of the original setup and be in the softer valving range of the shock depending on how the Koni's stacks are setup. Won't know until it's on the ground and driven a bit......hopefully the springs don't dramatically settle into the pockets even though I've tried to put them in their 'sweet' spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
This is why people buy subframes.
.......and adjustable coil overs
.......or C5 Z06's
.......or Miata's in my situation.