Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Seeing some hits in Divvy stocks today.. down near 1% (averaged) for all mine.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.

Last edited by toy71camaro; 05-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Seeing some hits in Divvy stocks today.. down near 1% (averaged) for all mine.

Think of buying stocks as a set of stairs.... sometimes up -- sometimes flat... and they go up and down.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Well..... so much for sell in May and go away! <a very old truism/saying>

SO you newbs ---- this is something that I've talked about before, i.e., just when you THINK you know what's going to happen in the market.... it will do something else. Generally - against whatever you thought was going to happen.

The lesson from this is (should be).... quit trying to figure it out --- and just trust that you're going to have a lot more money down the road than you have right now. PERIOD. Stop stressing over all the news - the day to day - the world problems <of which few have any control>.... and just buy that good old company that you know and trust to do a good job... and PAYS YOU... for being an investor in them.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Well..... so much for sell in May and go away! <a very old truism/saying>

SO you newbs ---- this is something that I've talked about before, i.e., just when you THINK you know what's going to happen in the market.... it will do something else. Generally - against whatever you thought was going to happen.

The lesson from this is (should be).... quit trying to figure it out --- and just trust that you're going to have a lot more money down the road than you have right now. PERIOD. Stop stressing over all the news - the day to day - the world problems <of which few have any control>.... and just buy that good old company that you know and trust to do a good job... and PAYS YOU... for being an investor in them.
Yup.. I try not and worry about it. Not trying to time anything anyway.

I am workin with Dad to try and get his 401k moved over to a Trad IRA so we can get some more control over it. Just trying to make sure it doesnt have any negative impact on his disability/insurance, etc.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Yup.. I try not and worry about it. Not trying to time anything anyway.

I am workin with Dad to try and get his 401k moved over to a Trad IRA so we can get some more control over it. Just trying to make sure it doesnt have any negative impact on his disability/insurance, etc.

You might want to include a TAX professional in this discussion BEFORE actually taking any action. One slip up and you get killed. The IRS is not very forgiving.

I once had a check sent to me --- and deposited it into my account --- to transfer into the IRA..... BIG MISTAKE -- paid taxes and a PENALTY for that little slip. Even though it was an honest mistake --- they could care less.

Last edited by GregWeld; 05-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM

This is why I love Peter Schiff! It's one of the more entertaining video's I've seen in a long time. Plus, I think Maria is drunk. Haha.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Tony -- Another old truism in the stock market --- DON'T FIGHT THE FED.

What does that mean? Well --- it means that the FED is in control... and as long as you can make money on it -- who cares what the reason is. Right or wrong really doesn't count. Making money counts. When the FED changes course -- then you don't fight the FED then either -- then you move to what's going to work in a rising interest rate market.

People get all caught up in trying to "pick sides" and decide who's right and who's wrong. What you'll learn is that it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong -- just concern yourself with making money -- then that will make you right. It makes everything all right!

Those that have been saying the market is too high (for like the last 2 or 3 years) --- and that what the FED is doing is all wrong -- and on and on.... they've been losing money while grousing about their "ideas". To me.... they're wrong -- because they don't get how to make money... they only get how to grouse about what they think is wrong. Eventually if they grouse long enough - they'll be right... but in the meantime -- they've lost their ass. The market is UP 100%..... I don't care if that's right or wrong.... as long as I've been able to profit from it.

Put another way --- people can talk all they want about the "poor people" that have lost their houses due to this entire real estate mess..... and how they shouldn't loose their house - and it's all the banks fault (BS!) etc. ME? I just see an opportunity to buy low -- and sell higher... I might feel sorry for the people having to move etc -- but that won't stop me from striking a deal for the property (I bought a 600K building for 335K from the bank holding the construction loan). Not my fault someone borrowed and the value went down and they couldn't make their payments. I had nothing to do with that. Not my problem. Not my worry. My only concern is to see if the deal can make money for me... cause if I don't buy it - someone else will. Thus my point about - I can grouse about the lousy bank kicking out the owner and taking the building - and NOT buy it.... or I can make an offer and hopefully turn a profit. My job isn't to fight over what's right.... my job is to make money and take care of my family.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM

There's plenty of room at the top, it's the bottom that's crowded.

You can try all you like to try to change the way things are out there, good luck. Take the circumstances and play the game to the best of your ability. Listen, read, learn from your mistakes and take advantage if you have the means. If you don't, get yourself in position to take advantage next time around as it will come. It always does...

Success is the refined study of the obvious. It's not rocket science becoming wealthy in this country. There is plenty of opportunity if you have the desire and self discipline. Set some goals that make you stretch and grow as a person, work hard at it, manage your personal finances, manage your business finances, stay accountable, take advantage of the handful of Springs in your life, invest your money wisely, and don't fall for the get rich quick schemes. All good things come from labor. Most of all, take 100% responsibility for your own life. Nobody else gives a **** if you die sick and broke.

Just my opinion...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
You might want to include a TAX professional in this discussion BEFORE actually taking any action. One slip up and you get killed. The IRS is not very forgiving.

I once had a check sent to me --- and deposited it into my account --- to transfer into the IRA..... BIG MISTAKE -- paid takes and a PENALTY for that little slip. Even though it was an honest mistake --- they could care less.
I'm not an expert on this but I do know this much. You can only convert a 401k to a traditional IRA if you no longer work at the company that you had the 401k with. In my case I didn't change jobs but I changed employers when we were bought out. This made me eligible to make the transfer. As long as you still work for the company that you have the 401k with you're stuck there.

The other key factor is to do a trustee to trustee exchange, i.e. from your 401k administrator directly to say Schwab or other brokerage. LIke The Master said, the money must not touch your hands or any of your personal accounts in any way. Schwab is REALLY good, if you call them they can explain to you just how to do it without any penalty

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Nobody else gives a **** if you die sick and broke.

Just my opinion...

EXACTLY!