Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Safety Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
not a 20 mph accident cruising once a month.
Don't know about you Kalifornian's but this Orygunian can't take his car out ever and cruise it at 20 mph, it just don't happen. Must be that little pucker with horns on his head sitting on my left shoulder.

Disclaimer: I'm also the guy that's done numerous track days seeing 135-165 mph lap after lap with no cage and only 2 wheels.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Don't know about you Kalifornian's but this Orygunian can't take his car out ever and cruise it at 20 mph, it just don't happen. Must be that little pucker with horns on his head sitting on my left shoulder.

Disclaimer: I'm also the guy that's done numerous track days seeing 135-165 mph lap after lap with no cage and only 2 wheels.
My point was that there are a lot of show touring cars around that really just put around and don't give it gas much. So many guys put in the top of line suspension and the latest this and that and don't even sniff its potential. If it's powerful and you wanna test the limits, cage it and go to the track.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM

That's the problem, you build one of these cars and you can't sniff it's capability on the street and that leads you to the track. It happens.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
That's the problem, you build one of these cars and you can't sniff it's capability on the street and that leads you to the track. It happens.
Exactly......thats how I started. Messing around on the street is not cool......to many unsafe variables for you and the public.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Exactly right. Thinking back to the 80s with a 450hp 69 Firebird with GW and Herb Adams suspensions stuff I did some really stupid stuff. At the time there didn't seem to be a proper outlet for my PT car other than Glendora Mountain Road. I'm a little wiser now. Thankfully I found my way to the track on my motorcycles and found the difference between riding at 7/10ths and 10/10ths.

Quote:
700 horsepower and a dry sump.

You really don't know what a missile you are building. That goes for you to Ron. Believe me, 700hp will motivate anything down the straightaway in a big way..
Well I do and it does scare me a bit.

It does come down to do you plan on driving it 10/10ths or not.

I can't disagree with the possibility of a high speed crash and the difference in outcome with a full cage vs a 5 pt.

But to that end do you have a fire suppressant system in your car or do you have a Hans device? If you are preparing for the worst then you should prepare for the worst right?

I don't know what I'm convinced of yet but I think it is a good thing we are all having this discussion.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

If you're going to drive it on the street often, like 3k+ miles a year, not 300, I would just do a four point. It might not be ideal for the track, but I think you should tailor the car for where it is going to see the majority of its time. You need to think about what is going to be safest for you most often. After that, you'll have to compromise on the other end. I drive my car often enough on the street that I think there is a greater chance of me having (another) accident on the street than there is on the track. While there is obviously no replacement for safety items like a full cage on the race track, perhaps the second greatest part of having a safe weekend track car is a safe driver that is always aware of the limitations of what he or she is driving.

Matt
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post

WITH AGE COMES A CAGE

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post
Exactly right. Thinking back to the 80s with a 450hp 69 Firebird with GW and Herb Adams suspensions stuff I did some really stupid stuff. At the time there didn't seem to be a proper outlet for my PT car other than Glendora Mountain Road. I'm a little wiser now. Thankfully I found my way to the track on my motorcycles and found the difference between riding at 7/10ths and 10/10ths.

Well I do and it does scare me a bit.

It does come down to do you plan on driving it 10/10ths or not.

I can't disagree with the possibility of a high speed crash and the difference in outcome with a full cage vs a 5 pt.

But to that end do you have a fire suppressant system in your car or do you have a Hans device? If you are preparing for the worst then you should prepare for the worst right?

I don't know what I'm convinced of yet but I think it is a good thing we are all having this discussion.
Good point. A fire suppression system is on my list. And it doesn't have to be invasive on a street car. I know Albert put one in his latest car and I'd like to see it as I heard it's packaged cleanly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.A View Post
If you're going to drive it on the street often, like 3k+ miles a year, not 300, I would just do a four point. It might not be ideal for the track, but I think you should tailor the car for where it is going to see the majority of its time. You need to think about what is going to be safest for you most often. After that, you'll have to compromise on the other end. I drive my car often enough on the street that I think there is a greater chance of me having (another) accident on the street than there is on the track. While there is obviously no replacement for safety items like a full cage on the race track, perhaps the second greatest part of having a safe weekend track car is a safe driver that is always aware of the limitations of what he or she is driving.

Matt
That's pretty insightful for a 19 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
WITH AGE COMES A CAGE
Obi wan!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Good point. A fire suppression system is on my list. And it doesn't have to be invasive on a street car. I know Albert put one in his latest car and I'd like to see it as I heard it's packaged cleanly.
Check out Penny's fire supression mod. Very

Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Here's my take. Spend the money now or a lot more later. If you're building a street legal race car (which all of theses cars are and don't kid yourself) build it like your ganna do the 150 mph plus. Everybody always says they wont until the cars finished and then have to spend a lot more around a painted car. Then when it's painted you still wont be able to go the full extreme with out harming the paint or apolstry

Yes, it's expensive! What isn't nowadays if you want quality and safety? My customer I'm building the Cuda for said no at first,but then his brother go's. Were building this car with 800 plus hp why wouldn't we put one in. I opened my big mouth and said lets hide it. This cage was the most difficult,time consuming,and challenging peace that i've done. The biggest concerns from the begging were vision out the front and rear windows which never changed because the cage is tucked into the car. 2nd Im 6' 3" and my head won't hit the halo bar or the side down bars. So in the end the customer has full safety no dinging his head and can race it on a track.

In my honest opinion. It's one of those things that are a necessity. If you're building a car of this caliber with this much HP and are GOING to use it on any kind of track or street put a cage in it! NOT a bar! Spend it now and have a peace of mind later.

Here's a few before and after pics.

Mark
Attached Images

www.bentcustomandperformance.com

Last edited by bentfab; 06-04-2012 at 01:58 PM.