Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB66SS View Post
Timely post for me, just picked up .45 caliber worth of break-in protection. Better to be over prepared and never need it in my lifetime than to need it and not have it just once.
How true
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Do you guys know if california allows ccw permits?

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,582 Times in 709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John510 View Post
Do you guys know if california allows ccw permits?
almost impossible to get in most counties, not sure about where you live.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 PM

2 big dogs, instant on lights, and my guns... Ill keep them all and feel safe thank you very much... as soon as I turn 21 ill be applying for my concealed... Had somebody get shot at point blank with a shotgun while sitting at a stoplight a few months back, crazy people out there

Car Junkie since 1990
Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 PM

About a year and a half ago my entire house was cleaned out. I'd moved everything to my new (to me) home and was at the old one to sell it.

Only the cars in the garage, 1 bedroom set, and a couple couches were left. Nextdoor neighbors didn't see anything. I found out a couple months ago from a next street over neighbor that they saw a crew of 4-6 come with a big huge truck during the day!

They took pretty much everything, and right out the front door. If they took the TV they took the table it was on. The only thing they left in my closet was my motorcycle leather. Not even a hanger on the floor. The cubbords were bare, closets emptied, clocks, telephones, cleaning supplies, guitars/amps, car parts, lamps, bed linen, stereos, computers, etc. all gone. When they stole the fridge (with the food) the water feed for the icemaker flooded the house. It took a couple months to sell the old houseand by the time I got to my new home the black mold had taken over and destroyed everything organic that was left including the cabinets, walls, mouldings, doors, and carpeting.

The house was destroyed inside, all of my personal posessions, gone. Was it someone who'd been there or someone they told? Cable guy, phone guy, home inspector, water, electric, appraisors, real estate, or maybe even a neighbor? Who knows? Be suspicious of everyone!

The ending is that no, the insurance company didn't cover it. After fighting for a year, (during which I had to find another place to live while continuning to pay all the expenses of the home) they didn't even cover half the costs of the repairs and none of my personal posessions (posessions includes appliances even though they came with the house). I tell everyone now READ YOUR POLICYS!

So after over a year and a half later, I finally moved into the house. I stayed at a local motel a couple days and got a bathroom functional and put a hot water heater in. Now I have to do (and pay for) everything else the insurance company wouldn't pay for. Electrical and plumbing, Bathrooms, kitchen cabinets, counters, floors, trim, fixtures, appliances, mouldings and finally paint.

So if you see something that seems even mildly unusual even in broad daylight call the police! You have no idea how much grief and expense they would have saved me if they'd just called to have the police check when they saw them loading a truck after I'd just moved in.

70 Firebird Esprit, 400 TA clone type "The 14 car"
lab-14.com
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM

There are a lot of great suggestions by everyone. Craig's points about knowing your neighbors and looking out for each other, one of the best safeguards there is. My neighbors and I look out for one another and it has made a difference more than once. They are quicker to call the police than the alarm company. Plus the response time of the Sheriff's Department can be long. A few years back I had a pushy salesman walk into my yard and I told him he needed to leave. He continued to push the issue and I threatened to call the police which didn't faze him. Finally I told him that I was a police officer and if he didn't leave I would arrest him. He still wanted to sale me "cleaning products" I didn't want. Finally I physically removed him from my property and he played the "race card". If you see something out of order call the police, I am always glad to respond to something suspicious that is legitimate than have to take a burglary report or something worse. My department still does house checks when people go on vacation. One more suggestion. Inventory your property, take pictures, record serial numbers. If you become a victim of a property crime this is very helpful information. I can't begin to count the number of times I have stopped people with what I know to be stolen property and no way to prove it.

Be Safe.

Robert
Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G/A-body View Post
One more suggestion. Inventory your property, take pictures, record serial numbers. If you become a victim of a property crime this is very helpful information. I can't begin to count the number of times I have stopped people with what I know to be stolen property and no way to prove it.

Be Safe.

Robert
That is awesome advice!

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 04-16-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDuke View Post
12 Guage & AR-15 can be your friend in situations like these
both are not well suited for close encounters in a residential house.. i would especially not fire an AR15 in a house where anyone i cared for lived. it will over penetrate whatever you fire it at.. and killing your kids with a thru wall shot isnt the best way to stay in good terms with the wife... and the 12 ga has a very tight spread at distances within buildings

a 4 inch revolver with 357 or 38+p and a good stopping load is all you need, and it never jams (anything smaller is real hard to use well).. have one close with a tactical light fitted, and carry an additional light (one is none, two is one as they say about **** with bateries) a pouch to put around your neck with an extra light, a speedloader a key to the dead bolt lock etc etc.. and perhaps maze or pepper spray is nice to have handy (i sleep in my adams costume and dont have pockets to put anything when i wake up at 3....)

passive security is also great.. doorphone or a small opening in the door to talk to strangers without exposing yourself or giving them an opportunity to enter forcefully.. cameras (and signs that warn about them) will deter most people not wanting to get caught on camera in the act of somthing punishable.

and the best weapon is common sense
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
About a year and a half ago my entire house was cleaned out. I'd moved everything to my new (to me) home and was at the old one to sell it.

Only the cars in the garage, 1 bedroom set, and a couple couches were left. Nextdoor neighbors didn't see anything. I found out a couple months ago from a next street over neighbor that they saw a crew of 4-6 come with a big huge truck during the day!

They took pretty much everything, and right out the front door. If they took the TV they took the table it was on. The only thing they left in my closet was my motorcycle leather. Not even a hanger on the floor. The cubbords were bare, closets emptied, clocks, telephones, cleaning supplies, guitars/amps, car parts, lamps, bed linen, stereos, computers, etc. all gone. When they stole the fridge (with the food) the water feed for the icemaker flooded the house. It took a couple months to sell the old houseand by the time I got to my new home the black mold had taken over and destroyed everything organic that was left including the cabinets, walls, mouldings, doors, and carpeting.

The house was destroyed inside, all of my personal posessions, gone. Was it someone who'd been there or someone they told? Cable guy, phone guy, home inspector, water, electric, appraisors, real estate, or maybe even a neighbor? Who knows? Be suspicious of everyone!

The ending is that no, the insurance company didn't cover it. After fighting for a year, (during which I had to find another place to live while continuning to pay all the expenses of the home) they didn't even cover half the costs of the repairs and none of my personal posessions (posessions includes appliances even though they came with the house). I tell everyone now READ YOUR POLICYS!

So after over a year and a half later, I finally moved into the house. I stayed at a local motel a couple days and got a bathroom functional and put a hot water heater in. Now I have to do (and pay for) everything else the insurance company wouldn't pay for. Electrical and plumbing, Bathrooms, kitchen cabinets, counters, floors, trim, fixtures, appliances, mouldings and finally paint.

So if you see something that seems even mildly unusual even in broad daylight call the police! You have no idea how much grief and expense they would have saved me if they'd just called to have the police check when they saw them loading a truck after I'd just moved in.
WOW!!! That sucks. Thieves are getting more brazen.
Good advice though.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 PM

I have 2 dogs that are very jumpy, good neighbors that work nights = home daytime. Best of all, I have several aluminum bats around the house, wife wont let me have guns (something about my temper). I would have a blast if someone dared enter while I was home.
Robbed while gone on the otherhand.... rob me blind. I have great insurance and could always use upgrades