Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takid455 View Post
GT3 RSR - Oh Noes!!! they are truly bad arse.

do you really need all that blue tape? your stuff gets chipped that badly? even a mistubitshi emblem??

saran wrap is def a FAIL.
They're fast as all hell when driven right. Sadly many owners drive like they're shopping for groceries and are too scared to push the limits on a 140k car. Can't say I blame them, but they sure are fun to pass in a 41 year old camaro.

The blue tape this is hilarious to me. Do they tape up their cars for road trips as well?

Never been driven in the rain?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill steez View Post
how often do these track days happen?? i really want to go to one and get some instruction.
constantly. There are tons of groups out there that run.

So far I've run with speedventures and this new (to me) group Open Track Racing. They book track time and you pay a portion of the rental, usually around $200, sometimes as low as $120. Bigger tracks like Laguna Seca can cost up to $300...

Look at the schedules of the tracks you want to drive on and find organizations running and contact them to see if they'll let you run.

The two I have mentioned are both great groups, but Open track racing defitely is a lot more laid back and fun. Kailo is an AWESOME guy and so is his wife. Every single person I met was nice as all can be.

Speedventures is a great group as well, but these are both CA based track run groups. Open track racing lets instructors run for free as long as they volunteer to instruct which is awesome. Speedventures charges.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath Pontiac View Post
That looks like a blast! Videos like that are a bad influence on me, I see that and want to sell my "toys" and build a track car.

Someday.
It says 1969 Firebird in your sig....

I saw a guy running a Cadillac DTS rental I see no reason why you can't run your firebird I ran the Roval at Cal Speedway with a 4speed, manual steering, and drum brakes....

Run what ya brung, and have fun doing so!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Is that a Cadillac DTS hanging with you guys?
Northstars don't lack torque.... That rental car was hauling on the straights and leaning like a yacht in the turns. Absolutely AWESOME. The driver was 65+ years old as well and knew the line
Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Great vids. Awesome eclectic mix of cars too.
Yeah it was a fun day, lots of surprises out there for the day. I was excited as all hell to see that indy car run. Cool
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
So, Rogue and RSR Guy are talking after the session:

Rogue: Hey man, that was really cool chasing you around the track!

RSR Guy: Oh- you're the guy in the old Camaro?

Rogue: Yeah- that's me!

RSR Guy: Oh OK cool. Ya- that was a good time!

Rogue: I was filming the whole thing on my in-car video. I can't wait to watch it!

RSR Guy: Oh wow! That's awesome- I'd love a copy!

Rogue makes the guy a DVD, and he rushes home to watch it.

...whereupon he hears Rogue calling him every nasty name in the book...
Pretty much. The instructor was just toying with me anyway. I believe he and another instructor came out for the sole purpose of having with with the camaro. He was on street tires without his aero. That cars capable of running a 1:29 at big willow. I was running 1:41....

On the straights I was catching him, on the turns, he was GONE, on street tires. I learned a lot from his lines. Next event I want to ride with Jack and get some instruction from him. I introduced myself to him at lunch and thanked him for one of the best times I've ever had on a track. It was a blast.

I hear Mary Pozzi has quite a sailor mouth while driving too, so I'm not alone
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Cool video.. good job representing us "old Camaros" lol

Your name was brought up. John, photographer for Car Craft was out there. Bald guy, real soft spoken and nice. I told him I'm constantly giving you **** about your fancy paint

We really need to get everyone together. I want to meet you and the Pozzis, and attempt to either destroy, hang, or fail miserably keeping up with Penny.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byndbad914 View Post
so the car you were following is known as BB2 or Black Beauty 2 and the owner is Jack Olsen. He is an AWESOME dude and really a great guy to everyone. His car is much faster than :40s and I HIGHLY recommend asking him for a ride in his car. You (and I with my V8 914) have the HP to climb on him or leave him in the straights, but corners are what matters.

I have only trusted 2 people... ever... to drive on a track while I rode along and he is one of those two people. He takes T3 differently than I do but everywhere else I have followed him with my car when I was out there and vice-versa and can say he is a solid guy (this was before I went tube chassis, etc and moving to CO 3 yrs ago). He has gone back to few aero aids but it is still a fast car.

Work on T1 - you are leaving a LOT on the table hugging the inside of that turn on exit because that is a fast turn and scraping that much mph is loosing significant time. I say any chance you get to go out with that group, go and if Jack is there follow him every chance you get and you will definitely learn from him. Tho' I like an earlier line thru 3, that can be just how your car works so you need to figure that for yourself. I am a momentum driver even tho' I have a ton of right foot "momentum" on tap, I prefer to ease thru v. brute force T3.

The other guy I trusted to ride with had a later model 911 and I just had to see what it was like to go 'round in the :28s Man I miss that track!!!!!!!
Yes! Jack! I tracked him down and thanked him. He was snickering as was the whole table of instructors, so it was pretty obvious he was just out there having fun with the old 69 camaro. Very nice guy and I learned a lot just by following him. I regret not talking to him more and asking him to ride along and put me in check for a session. Next time hopefully.

I was having brake pedal issues so you'll notice I was pumping the breaks before every turn to make sure I had a firm pedal. Need to bleed the wilwoods and get a power bleeder I think.

T1 definitely is a much faster turn than I was taking it, but the brake issues were keeping me from putting absolute confidence in them. If I can't get a solid reliable pedal out of the manual wilwoods I'm going to add hydroboost. Definitely kept me from running as hard as I could, but it was still faster than previous outings. Power steering is a must. I didn't venture offtrack once this time, something I commend the power steering for.

Its a track truly suited to high horsepower cars and drivers with balls. Not for the weak minded thats for sure. Entering turn 8/9 I was in 5th about 130mph. Without the rear spoiler it was too hairball so I dropped the speed and kept it lower throughout the day until following Jack around. What a fun day and good run group to play with. Kailo is hilarious and every person I met is good people. Had a blast. I need to get some more instruction, but first work on this brake issue and the rear aero.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM

I'm still waiting on the 'professional' photos from the track. They got a few of me in full 4 wheel drift with my hand out the window giving a thumbs up

Easy rider baby

How to pack.

Colder than all hell. I had two sweaters and a t-shirt on and was still cold..

My tall goofy ass dwarfing the car

My friend/navigator is tall as hell as well

the organizer Kailo's toys...

How the timing setup was. The Trackmaster app works GREAT as a simple laptimer and data logger. Can't beat the $5 price. Rupp do you run this in penny?

Last edited by rogue; 03-12-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Dane - you are 100% correct about Kailo and the group as a whole, probably one of the coolest groups of people I ever ran with (other than when me and 19 or so workmates/friends would rent the track )

So I highly recommend to anyone thinking of lapping to look them up. This is NOT wheel 2 wheel (W2W) by any means as you can see in the vids - it is gentleman's driving with point by passes, etc - because everyone wants to go home with all four fenders in place so it really is a great way to actually learn how to drive a car.

Jack I think is getting out to the track on a more regular basis, he had his first kid awhile back and that kept him grounded at home quite a bit but he is making it out more from what I can tell on the Porsche board he frequents.

As for T7-9, I don't know if Jack would ever remember but it was maybe the first time I ever went out with them now that I recall, but I was in front of him and we went up and over the hump and I went inside a bit too far and hit the whooptie-do of a bump there and the whole car felt like it shifted a foot to the left almost instantly and he flat dropped out of the gas expecting me to lose it. 'Course that didn't happen and I managed to keep the throttle planted and drive thru it, but man that was a pucker moment.

Same day I found out the gear ratios for my trans I found online were incorrect and I thought I was just cruising the front stretch and way off my mph wanting to keep him up with me. I looked up near the end going into T1 and I couldn't even see him in my mirror. I thought I was rolling along holding 115-120mph when I was actually shifting into 4th at 140mph! I was hitting 155-160 when I was actually on it

Dammit I love that track! MPH monster.