Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHarvard View Post
J
EDIT: Just saw the front sheet metal bit too.... You've got some work ahead of you, but honestly if you have the parts, why not do it yourself? It's really not that hard, it's just labor.
Which part are you referring to?

I have the skill to do it but its a lot harder never putting one if these together when you didn't take it apart. I have am lost as to what he to use and what should for on first and where I should start. Time is my biggest factor and garage space. Im a full time college student with a garage way too small.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegguy View Post
Which part are you referring to?

I have the skill to do it but its a lot harder never putting one if these together when you didn't take it apart. I have am lost as to what he to use and what should for on first and where I should start. Time is my biggest factor and garage space. Im a full time college student with a garage way too small.
I feel your pain, I really do. I started off with a single car garage with a basic socket set for tools and a full time student then full time work and grad student at the same time. Hell, some of my student loans went to buy Camaro parts. Don't let that get in your way, it's really not that difficult to find out where things go if you take your time and go slowly.

Do you have a friend/neighbor in the area that know this stuff? The front sheetmetal is fairly straight forward. If you got a front bolt kit for the car from one of the restoration shops like YearOne or whatever, the bolt kits are pretty much a process of elimination.

I too don't have the cash to pay someone to finish my car and I rarely (emphasis on RARELY) truly have a %100 idea of what I'm doing, but it has to get done one way or another. If I mess it up, oh well, try again... It's just a giant jigsaw puzzle. You really can't hurt anything by trying yourself.

Ok, so you use the wrong bolt here or there, so what? Grab another one. So, you scratch the paint, big deal, buff it out. The interior doesn't look %110 perfect, try it again. Nothing on a car is permanent and can be fixed or repaired. If you don't start now, you'll never know how to figure it out.

Good example, I just did the mini-tubs on my car by myself. I really can't afford to pay someone to do that, even though it might have been finished better than my quality. But, it had to be done. No questions. That first cut into the car was the worst, the thought, "Oh ****, I just messed this entire car up" went through my mind for a week. But, I went slowly, asked a lot of questions and now it's done and I have the ability to say, "I did that, sure it's not the best quality in the world, but I own that". There's no turning back when you start hacking up a car like I did, hell, I had to cut into the frame! You don't think for a second that that was a little freaky for a guy who has never done body work before?

Throwing a front end on a car is tiddly-winks compared to that. I grew up with just my mother and I'm an only child, so I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes or guide me along. Like you, I didn't know how to install a front end, but I do now. Because I got over the hump and sucked it up and tried. Sure, I messed up along the way, but by god, I know how to do it now.

Sorry, long post.

~Eric

tl;dr - You can do it.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM

After looking at your project a second time.I think you are right.This is a simple job.I would think about 5K including any part's needed should take care of it.Good luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Here's my final thought on your question and your dilemma... You have two main issues:

Lack of knowledge

Lack of money

Time is "free" regardless of everything else going on.... because you can manage your time.

I'd join the local hot rod club -- i.e., -- the local Chevy or Chevelle or Camaro club.... go to some meetings -- plead your case -- see if someone steps up to come over and help get you going -- and then maybe be there for "LOCAL" help. It's always more fun to do these things "together". I even make my brother in law drive up here from Portland -- just so we can do stuff on HIS car together... we always have fun too.

You'll have more pride in the project doing it yourself -- you'll meet some new friends -- and you'll save a BUNCH of dough...

BTW --- NOBODY (and I know all these guys) on here is trying to be a smart ass or squash your dream... we've all been in your shoes and we've walked that mile. But we also all have experience.... and that experience is saying -- no matter the "bid" it WILL BE more... and take longer...

The work appears to only require simple hand tools.... and a bit of 'experience' to perform... There are a ton of books with photos etc on how to restore your car... I'd start by buying one or two - and then join that club as I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

BTW --- NOBODY (and I know all these guys) on here is trying to be a smart ass or squash your dream... we've all been in your shoes and we've walked that mile. But we also all have experience.... and that experience is saying -- no matter the "bid" it WILL BE more... and take longer...
Yep, actually quite the opposite!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry -- completely disagree.... what people are trying to do is get a complete accurate view of the project. The OP was a little vague... lacking good photos - and a "it depends" question. It's taken a circuitous route to get some idea of what the project actually is... but the discussion is all good. Sometimes "intentions" doesn't come thru via a typed response...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry -- completely disagree.... what people are trying to do is get a complete accurate view of the project. The OP was a little vague... lacking good photos - and a "it depends" question. It's taken a circuitous route to get some idea of what the project actually is... but the discussion is all good. Sometimes "intentions" doesn't come thru via a typed response...
Uhh.. Greg, I think we missed each other on that one...

I was implying that were weren't being smart asses and that we were actually trying really hard to encourage him.

Not sure how that got mixed up, but regardless ^^ was what I meant.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was implying that were weren't being smart asses and that we were actually trying really hard to encourage him.

Greg --- so much for "knowing everyone around here" !!!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Okay -- but even after re-reading your post -- I still get the same takeaway from it. But as long as we're in agreement -- it's OKAY!

When I read these posts -- First thing that comes to me is -- I wish he lived closer - I'd be there in a heartbeat to help get him going.

To the OP -- Here's how I look at these projects --- DON'T try to wrap your head around EVERYTHING that needs to be done... just pick up one section -- do some research or ask questions about THAT PARTICULAR PART of the project - pick up a tool and START.... then move to another "job". It's not as hard as it looks -- but is overwhelming in it's entirety.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Greg --- so much for "knowing everyone around here" !!!

Careful! I know where you live!

BTW -- Can't remember when I dropped off the '32... but it's finally moving along.