Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Should there be a lot more articles written about the LS Engine Platform?
Coverage of the LS Platform (Gen III and Gen IV) should be increased a lot. 35 63.64%
Coverage should be equal between the three Engine Types (SBC, BBC and LSx) 13 23.64%
Coverage is about right the way it is. 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
I'd like to see more on electronics. EFI retrofits, stuff like that.

I've owned 2 LSx vehicles, a vette and my current SS truck. Those things sho do run good!

But they ugly. With a capitol UG. They can be a lil pretty if you hide the coils and cover em with polished turbo plumbing, but a stock ignition N/A motor, you could mirror polish the whole thing and it would still be ugly.

There will never be an LSx in my early muscle.

If the LT1 in my vette ever quits tho...
I personally love the way the LSX engines look. They are more of a "function over form" design. Very mechanical looking. A nice contrast from the traditional look of a V8 engine. I like that. I think they're killer looking and even better without the goudy coil pack covers. Just my $.02.

And I'll never do another classic car without one again.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

for any true gearhead ...undoubtedly the LS motors are bad ass... it doesnt matter whose colors you wear. But keep in mind on how you phrased this. " The future of hotrodding...". The LS motor is just another power plant and for everyone of us that would want to read an article on the LS motors there are others who want to read about hot rodding a nailheads, flatheads, stovebolts, W blocks, & Y blocks all the way up to big inch lincoln and caddy motors.......
Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@AirRideTech
for any true gearhead ...undoubtedly the LS motors are bad ass... it doesnt matter whose colors you wear. But keep in mind on how you phrased this. " The future of hotrodding...". The LS motor is just another power plant and for everyone of us that would want to read an article on the LS motors there are others who want to read about hot rodding a nailheads, flatheads, stovebolts, W blocks, & Y blocks all the way up to big inch lincoln and caddy motors.......
========================

Tony:

With regards to Hot Rodding, "nailheads, flatheads, stovebolts, W blocks, & Y blocks all the way up to big inch lincoln and caddy motors", there are literally about a dozen of the, "Old Time", Rodding Magazines that regularly have write ups on these types of builds as these have been their Bread and Butter for 75 Years.

Ironically, you want to start talking real $$$$$ try buying Hot Rod parts for those. Holy Moly!!! Since many of them are not well known anymore, finding Vintage "Go Fast", parts for them is often the only source for someone.

I've been trying to buy a Factory 2X4 set up for a 65 Nail head. How about $1200-$1500 just for the intake and a couple carbs that need to be completely gone through, and this is for a 1965 Intake!

There are several you mentioned that some parts are available, but given the LSx Technology is current and lots of new parts are coming out for them, they still seem pretty under represented relatively speaking.

Sometime go to a Borders book store Magazine Rack, you'll be blown away by how many car magazines there are in print covering the older vintage stuff.

Ty
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM

I’d like to see as many LSx articles as other the other engines. There are part advances for all the engines that should be covered.

One type of LS article that I haven’t seen is a “cheap” LS build up. Start with a Craigslist 6.0 truck short block. A back-yard hone and re-ring. Spend some money on some high-value heads and cam. Then dyno it with both the factory FI and then a carb setup.

Dyno results for FI vs. Carb are somewhat predictable but how about a real world in-car comparison between the two? I’d be curious to see fuel mileage difference between FI and a Holley.

I really like the technology and the aesthetics of the LS motors (with the coils hidden). Until recently they have seemed to be a lot more money than a Small Block build – mostly since you start with an expensive motor before you even start changing anything. Now that they are out there in vehicles I’ve seen some that are looking attractive as raw material for a cheap build-up.

Road Racer and PT Wanna-be

My Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...95&view=videos
Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fuehrer
....One type of LS article that I haven’t seen is a “cheap” LS build up. Start with a Craigslist 6.0 truck short block. A back-yard hone and re-ring. Spend some money on some high-value heads and cam. Then dyno it with both the factory FI and then a carb setup.

Dyno results for FI vs. Carb are somewhat predictable but how about a real world in-car comparison between the two? I’d be curious to see fuel mileage difference between FI and a Holley.
My vote as well. Budget Craigslist/e-bay/swap-meet purchase build-ups & FI vs. carb comparisons.