Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

You guys have all heard me say "priced for perfection".... With that in mind -- just look at Apple (AAPL).... their business is FINE... their profits are FINE... their stock? Down 35% in one year. OUCH. The reason -- people aren't impressed with their latest offerings... and when a stock is priced for perfection - it gets KILLED by stuff like this. You always need to be aware of this phenomena.

The hard part is to know when that is happening. For me - it's just a pure judgement call. Kinda like I've reminded people "when the grocery clerk is telling you about the money they made on "X" --- RUN! Well --- stocks are like that... when the TV is talking about the stock -- and the guy on the corner -- and the gas station guy.... RUN (SELL!).

It's fun as hell if you bought low -- and ride the wave to the crest... but most of us never are that clever. We don't discover the stock until it's near the crest... and that's when you get your ass handed to you. So just LIVE AND LEARN is all I'm sayin'. It's always so tempting to jump in because something is "hot".

I've learned to walk away from "hot" (flipping houses anyone?).... because I figure I'm just joe average and by the time I've figured out it's hot - it's too late - the smart money has already come and gone.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Lol... yeah.. i had a feeling when i personally was bored with their progress earlier this year.. and i watched it tumble.

I was smart tho, quite a few years ago (kinda). My AAPL stock I bought is currently up 225%. Not bad huh? it was up almost twice that earlier this year. Did i sell? Nah. I wasnt that smart. I only invested $25 in it originally. It was my first stock i bought when i first opened my account a number of years ago. It's no worth a whopping $90, which is +225%. But, its going to cost me $10 to sell it. Thus, taking a large chunk of my "gain" and then having to deal with taxes on it. So I didnt bother. Its not enough for the hassle. lol.

And i was "kinda" smart cuz i bought it. BUT i didnt have enough money to be "really smart" and buy a bunch of it. lol

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Today, my friends, is not one of those days to be on the sidelines!

up 2% TODAY!

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdahlg68 View Post
Today, my friends, is not one of those days to be on the sidelines!

up 2% TODAY!
WOohoo! I'm about +1.5% on my Investing 102 stocks.

Question.. Anyone else here a numbers/spreadsheet whore like me? LOL. I have a spreadsheet (Google docs, actually) that i keep a tab on EACH of my stocks. the Original Purchase, later purchases, all the dividend payouts, etc. Well, ive been keeping track of each of them since i started this whole thing. I keep track every couple months of my "total return", "yield on cost" etc (since it was a manual and bit more tedious project). BUT, I ran into a feature today where i can pull in Google Finance Stock bits from "live" from the web. So using this, I've made a "Summary View" tab where it auto calculates my current stock +/- for the day, my TOTAL RETURN, by Yield On Cost and also the Current Yield of the stock, etc. Totally cool!

So now I can see realtime (well, 20 minute delay from the market) my vitals and my total return (which, i may add, is GREAT!).

Its the "=GoogleFinance" function.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.

Last edited by toy71camaro; 09-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM

You guys don't even want to know what my gain was today in DOLLAR terms....
HAHAHAHAHA

The take-away for investing 102 --- you just never can afford to be out of the market -- or trying to "game" the market. Your biggest gains will be made on very few days during the entire year... and if you happen to be out on those days -- you can't catch up.

This is what I've learned over the years doing this -- just stick to your good companies --- invest regularly -- and don't be in and out. Sometimes that SUCKS.... but long term you'll be way way ahead and that is the goal.

Note too -- McDonalds gave us a 5% raise on the dividend today.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,564 Times in 694 Posts

The market sure loves the Fed................

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
The market sure loves the Fed................

No --- the Market LOVES low interest rates....

Oldest market saying is one worth learning:

When interest rates rise the stock market dies

Give me 7% tax free muni rates and I'll be out of the market in a heartbeat! But as long as you can't make any returns with interest bearing investments you HAVE to be long the stock market. Not to mention that the low rates help companies make profits. When they start having to pay out more for borrowing (overhead) -- and inflation starts creeping in -- WATCH OUT....

But for now --- let's drink the tea!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,564 Times in 694 Posts

So the Fed and QE are keeping the interest rates low. The market was down this morning in advance of the Fed meeting, and as soon as they said no tapering it's off to the races. Every time there's talk of cutting back by the Fed the market seems to stumble a bit, and as soon as they squash that talk it takes off again. I don't think the market is as related to the economy as it once was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
No --- the Market LOVES low interest rates....

Oldest market saying is one worth learning:

When interest rates rise the stock market dies

Give me 7% tax free muni rates and I'll be out of the market in a heartbeat! But as long as you can't make any returns with interest bearing investments you HAVE to be long the stock market. Not to mention that the low rates help companies make profits. When they start having to pay out more for borrowing (overhead) -- and inflation starts creeping in -- WATCH OUT....

But for now --- let's drink the tea!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
So the Fed and QE are keeping the interest rates low. The market was down this morning in advance of the Fed meeting, and as soon as they said no tapering it's off to the races. Every time there's talk of cutting back by the Fed the market seems to stumble a bit, and as soon as they squash that talk it takes off again. I don't think the market is as related to the economy as it once was.

Well -- the FED is between a rock and a hard place. They've driven into the corner so deep that lifting is going to cause issues. Interest rates are artificially low -- so the minute they "lift" (back off buying bonds) interest rates are going to rise and they'll rise quickly. So much is based off these low rates -- that anything UP from here will seem like a shock. Obviously -- home mortgage rates at 5% should be seen as a gift from heaven --- but when people get used to 3.5% --- 5% will be shockingly high. It takes time for businesses and people to adjust. They will --- and they can --- but it doesn't lessen the shock value.

The market is related to the economy --- but more so to individual businesses and their profits and GOING FORWARD what they have to say. Now everyone that has a brain can figure out that if interest rates rise --- that will come straight out of the bottom line... no different than a house payment that rises... and wall street is all about profits. It will take time for businesses to adjust to higher costs --- and then the suppliers will raise prices because they have higher costs --- and then the next guy and the next guy --- and we WILL have an inflation problem.

When I was in the importing biz in NYC --- during the late 70's and early 80's --- we couldn't raise prices as fast as our costs rose... and we ended up with "surcharges" for freight costs etc. It was cheap to rubber stamp a surcharge on an invoice vs reprinting the price list monthly! Everyone was doing it. I can tell you that is a very toxic business environment.... and it's what all the economists have been warning about.

This is why you've seen anything that is interest rate sensitive - getting hammered. I warned about this months ago! I sold all my bond portfolio (for a nice gain) well in advance --- and sure enough --- muni bonds have been getting hammered in face value as the "thought" the FED might ease (buy less bonds than the current 85 BILLION per month).

We have a free market --- except that we've had one player creating all the rules! The minute the rule maker stops making up the rules -- we'll go back to a free market... and the problem with that is nobody wants that to happen -- even though they really don't want the FED loading up the balance sheet with debt so it's a real double edged sword.

Think about it this way --- real simple..... everyone was grousing about the cost of cars SOARING on Barrett Jackass..... 150K for "clone" cars. REMEMBER? It was crazy --- but people also LOVED it because it made them feel good about their "investment" (in their own car). So it was fun -- and people bitched because they were being priced out of the market -- but it also meant they could sell their average '69 Camaro for 75K so they were happy too. THEN THE REAL MARKET CAME BACK - and suddenly the 75K they could have gotten was back to normal and they would be lucky to get 40.... Now they hate the world and everything in it.... yet it also brought down the stupid money prices being paid --- so really --- it's almost an even exchange. What people want is to borrow for a house at 3% and earn interest at the bank of 6% --- but it just doesn't work that way does it.

Last edited by GregWeld; 09-18-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM

I finally decided to wade in with some individual stocks. I bought first thing this morning so my timing was alright. ha ha I took your advice and bought 4 big cap stocks. I'm playing with chump change at this point but I'll keep learning, buying, to give my portfolio another branch.