Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Good because when you get much older I want Laura to be able to have enough money to be able to hire someone to change your diapers.
Walk-off homerun to deep centerfield.........ouch!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Kenny Rogers song.....

Little boy starts home with his bat and ball.
Says, "I am the greatest, that is a fact,
But even I didn't know I could pitch like that!"
Says, "I am the greatest, that is understood,
But even I didn't know I could pitch that good!"
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Good because when you get much older I want Laura to be able to have enough money to be able to hire someone to change your diapers.
OH NO!! She gets to wipe my drool....my boys get to change my diaper. I did theirs, now its their turn.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprovee View Post
OH NO!! She gets to wipe my drool....my boys get to change my diaper. I did theirs, now its their turn.

HA! Good luck with that!

Best just to plan on hiring it done --- and with Investing 102, you'll be able to!

Cost me half a million bucks out of pocket expenses for the last 4 years my Mom was alive.... OMG! You have no idea what it takes when they get old.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM

This article is good example and reinforcement of the fundamentals of investing 102.........IMO.

------------------

Sometimes when choosing dividend stocks to invest in, the supposedly "boring" big blue-chip companies can actually be the most exciting and lucrative way to go. For example, an investment in Exxon Mobil (XOM) made three decades ago has appreciated by more than 3000%, assuming all dividends were reinvested. One of the world's most recognizable brands, Coca-Cola (KO), is a perfect example of this. Despite a relatively modest 3% annual yield and low volatility, Coca-Cola can produce massive gains over the long run due to steady performance, reinvestment of and raises to the dividend that can rival pretty much any other strategy.

Coca-Cola in 2013

Most people know Coca-Cola for its soft drinks, but most people who don't follow the company aren't aware of just how diverse its product line has become. In addition to the Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and other soft drinks, the company's product portfolio also contains such brands as Powerade, Full Throttle, Dasani water, and Minute Maid juices, just to name a few.

The company also has a tremendous international presence that still has some room for growth, particularly in the emerging markets around the world. Currently, North American beverage sales account for about 45% of the company's revenue, with Europe, Asia, and Latin America each accounting for about 10% of total revenues or about $5 billion annually from each region. A relatively small presence in Africa (6% of revenues) and the company's investments in bottling operations make up the rest.

Trends in the industry have been somewhat away from the carbonated soft drinks, at least in the U.S., and Coca-Cola has taken steps to strengthen its other brands, particularly Powerade, Minute Maid and Dasani. The company has made several smaller but effective acquisitions over the past several years, including Glaceau (Vitamin Water), Great Plains (Honest Tea), and several other overseas brands of juices and teas that aren't well-known to U.S. consumers.

Historical trends, and will they continue?

Since its founding, Coca-Cola has established one of the best track records in the market of steady performance and dividend increases. While shares have just about quadrupled over the past two decades, the real story is Coca-Cola's dividend, which has risen by over 500% from 4.3 cents per share quarterly to today's 28 cent quarterly payments. Even more impressive than the overall increase is the consistency with which it occurred over time:

So, throughout the past two decades, Coca-Cola raised its dividend by an average of 10% per year on an extremely consistent basis, even during the height of two recessions. Since the company's dividend represents a payout ratio of just over 50%, there should be no issue continuing raises for the foreseeable future.

Let's examine what a hypothetical investment in the company would do over a 30-year time period. It is a pretty fair assumption that the dividend raises will continue. It is also fair and reasonable to assume that the share price will continue to increase by 6.4% annually, which is the company's historical average. Assuming that all dividends are reinvested, this means that a $10,000 investment in Coca-Cola today would grow to $267,821 after a 30-year period. Not so boring anymore, is it?

Summary

Regardless of whether you employ the above strategy in your own portfolio, Coca-Cola is an excellent investment for your future. That 3% annual yield will look a lot better in a few decades after being raised each year, and you can bet that the company will continue to add shareholder value by increasing revenues and completing share buybacks. When it comes to income investing, steady and predictable wins the race, and this is an excellent addition to a portfolio with those goals in mind.

The safety and predictability of Coca-Cola, not to mention the consistent performance of the company, make it a far better alternative for the low-risk parts of your portfolio (like your retirement holdings) than trying to pick the "next big thing." Sometimes the "old" big things are just what you need!

Matthew Frankel - posted on Seeking Alpha
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Good article Sieg.....

Ask "rich people" what they're invested in --- they'll start naming Coke - McDonalds - Chevron - AT&T

Ask "normal people" what they're invested in.... They say "mutual funds" or "my work IRA"...

Ask a "newb investor" what they're invested in... it's "I'm waiting for Twitter to IPO" or "I'm waiting for FaceBook to split".

On the surface a guy might think "oh sure - he's got plenty of money ---- but I've got to make mine!" Nooooooooooooo....... "the rich guy" knows that not losing money is every bit as important - if not MORE important - to creating "wealth".
Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Another great day to be in the market!

Sitting at almost +2% average over all my investing 102 stocks. Woot!

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM

These are great LEARNING DAYS ---- because a couple weeks or a month ago -- everyone is bleeding - dying the death of a 1000 cuts... market acting tired and weak.... and that's when "new" people get discouraged and sell... and then BAM! A big ass gain and then they're out and can't get that back.

Remember me telling you to please remember the good times back a few months?!?!?!? That was to give you all courage to hang in there when the days get short and dark and dreary....

Today was a perfect example of why you stick with INVESTING... buying on the darkest dreariest days if have can muster the guts....

In a "normal" market (yeah? What's that mean? I'd like to see one....) your gains are made on very few days in the year.... very few -- like 8 or 10 days out of the entire year! If you're OUT on them and trying to be cute and game the market.... then in the long run you lose.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM

The next few days and weeks will be interesting.

I sold my shares of Dell today that I bought in '99 and have one more dog IPO of the same era to eliminate that's a negative 70% gain to dump. Also added to my position in PFE this morning.

Portfolio is at 40.5% gain........if I would have learned these tricks 20 years ago GW would be my pit assistant.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
The next few days and weeks will be interesting.

I sold my shares of Dell today that I bought in '99 and have one more dog IPO of the same era to eliminate that's a negative 70% gain to dump. Also added to my position in PFE this morning.

Portfolio is at 40.5% gain........if I would have learned these tricks 20 years ago GW would be my pit assistant.

I did -- and I need a pit assistant!
LOL

I have three race cars in this trailer! You know how much work it is to load and unload all this crap!?!?!