Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Lance,
Here is an article for you to read, he also has other good articles.
It started with $10k in 2006 and just kept the reinvesting the dividends.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4440...ortfolio&ifp=0

What you need to focus on is

Best of Breed stock
Dividend payouts
Growth or steady charts 5-10 year
Diversify

that's basically all you need to start, do your homework and buy.
Everything else, your thinking to much sitting on the side lines while everyone else is making
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Investments always come down to one thing, timing. You must put yourself in a position to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. That means you are prepared to ride out the storms when the economy slows, stock market tanks, or the real estate bubble pops. An investment means that you are secure in your position and can wait for greener pastures to liquidate. If you can't, you have made a serious investing mistake due to your expectations. If there is one thing I've learned, almost everything is cyclical including investing. Can you capitalize when the timing is ripe? That's the million dollar question.

Greg always talks about it not being rocket science. It's the basic fundamentals that get you there. A goal and a plan to back it up. A well thought plan....

Last edited by Vegas69; 12-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Lance --

November is NOT a great month for dividends -- the normal calendar quarterly months are better -- but I just want to show you some DIVIDENDS… This is from the account I use here for posting. I want to ask you if I care during the day what the share price is…

These are all solid companies - and the dividend is as reliable as clockwork (maybe an atomic clock). If I was re-investing these dividends - think about the amount of shares I'd be purchasing EVERY quarter - and by the end of the year think about not only would my dividends be increasing because I have MORE shares -- many of these companies have increased their payout as well - helping to compound even further.

So while you're busy figuring the percentage return on the current dividend -- what YOU ARE MISSING is that I might have bought these companies 5 or 6 years ago for half what they are trading at today -- and my ACTUAL dividend rate is double or triple the current published percentage. So maybe I paid $25 per share for AT&T back in 2009 when it was paying .41 a share per quarter and now I'm getting .48 per share per quarter. Suddenly the current 5.44% rate as quoted today is actually ME earning 7.68% today. Not bad and if you add in the capital growth.. well then I'm looking pretty good for the boring telco stock investment.

11/29/2013 Qualified Dividend SBUX
STARBUCKS CORP
$260.00
11/27/2013 Cash Dividend NTI
NORTHERN TIER ENERGY LP
$7,440.00
11/15/2013 Cash Dividend NNN
NATIONAL RETAIL PPTYS RE...
$8,100.00
11/14/2013 Cash Dividend KMP
KINDER MORGAN ENERGY LP ...
$13,500.00
11/07/2013 Cash Dividend HYG
ISHARES TRUST IBOXX $ HI…
$4,601.62
11/01/2013 Qualified Dividend T
A T & T INC NEW
$9,000.00
11/12/2013 Cash Dividend JNK
SPDR BARCLAYS ETF HIGH Y...
$2,961.68

I should add that JNK and HYG dividends are paid MONTHLY not quarterly. But my point is that when you're looking for investments… dividends are not a bad way to go = and over time - they get better and better. Obviously I have some serious share counts in some of these in order to get these types of dividends - but even if a guy retired with 1/10th of what I'm showing here --- and he gets SS on top of this… he can live decently in retirement. Especially if the monthly bills are under control.

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-15-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 AM

My only reason for posting the analysis of MO Friday was to see what my return might have been back when I was in the market if I had owned MO.

Several have accused me of thinking too much by doing this exercise, but at the same time all suggest that each of us do our own homework and research then decide what to invest on based on said research.

For the record, my FA had me in the "dividend income" plan in the 2006-2008 period, and I understand it very well. What I experienced was in lock step with what MO went through. A stock in their "dividend income" plan would cut it's dividend (for whatever reason) like MO did in 2008 and not only would the share price plummet, but at the same time they'd decide the stock didn't fit the parameters of the plan, so they'd sell it and go into another stock. The net result typically was a capital loss on the sell wiping out the return made up until that point.

I haven't gone back and looked at it since, and I haven't seen where anyone else has corrected my numbers from Friday...but if they are true, how can one NOT include the 3% a year ROI on the stock for the 15 year period in their analysis?

Sure, I agree, the 5 year history numbers look fantastic, but doesn't just about every stock's 5 year chart look great. It's because they start at the bottom. The 10, or 15 year charts look much different... In my opinion one can not claim to disregard "timing the market" yet cherry pick the time periods to show return history of a certain stock or strategy.

Also for the record, I am not using this example as a reason to stay out of the market, I'm using this research as a way to find my own path for investing for the future... I agree with much of what has been said in this thread, one has to be confident and comfortable with the investment choices that are made. Having been there, done that for a significant period of time...I'm now trying to find a new way to be confident and comfortable...
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
only reason for posting the analysis of MO Friday was to see what my return might have been back when I was in the market if I had owned MO.
#1 - MO is a bad choice to use since it not only went thru the Great Recession but it also split off Philip Morris - which you keep forgetting in your analysis… Everyone that owned MO - got a nice chunk of PM in ADDITION to their shares of MO. I'm not wasting my time going back to research and show you how that took place and what that looked like. I don't mean that in a mean spirited way -- but stuff like that takes time… and I'm just not willing to piss away my time trying to show you how wrong you are (about that particular company). In fact - I never read your analysis - nor have I gone back to check on it's facts and figures. I just really don't care. Again - not mean spirited in that statement. I own a ton of that company and it makes money for me every quarter and I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with that investment over a very long period of time. I - in fact - sold the Philip Morris (PM) shares I picked up because I didn't see a need to own both companies. I used to own Verizon AND AT&T - and likewise did the same there - I sold off Verizon for no other reason than I'm a long term AT&T customer.

Quote:
Several have accused me of thinking too much by doing this exercise, but at the same time all suggest that each of us do our own homework and research then decide what to invest on based on said research.

I think what you're being "accused of" -- which really isn't what anyone is trying to do -- is trying to show you that you're making "investing" too complicated. It's NOT complicated. A person can make it that way if they choose to… but I'll repeat for all those that read these posts… INVESTING is about buying good stuff - believing thru thick and thin that they own good stuff. And letting TIME compound their money. WE ARE NEVER TALKING ABOUT THE GYRATIONS ALL MARKETS GO THROUGH DURING A TIME PERIOD. We are trying to learn that when looking at a longer term picture - that while HELL YES things go down… And we need to learn to live with that because we as ordinary humans will never foresee that "dip" --- and we'll never be back in the market when it rises. History will teach you that had you done nothing - except to let it ride - that you'll be made whole again and then some. And if you're reinvesting the dividend - you'll come out even better.

Quote:
the record, my FA had me in the "dividend income" plan in the 2006-2008 period, and I understand it very well. What I experienced was in lock step with what MO went through. A stock in their "dividend income" plan would cut it's dividend (for whatever reason) like MO did in 2008 and not only would the share price plummet, but at the same time they'd decide the stock didn't fit the parameters of the plan, so they'd sell it and go into another stock. The net result typically was a capital loss on the sell wiping out the return made up until that point.

MO spilt off ANOTHER dividend paying stock -- THEY DID NOT CUT THEIR DIVIDEND -- THEY GAVE YOU ANOTHER DIVIDEND PAYER. Let's be factual.

YOU might have had other dividend paying stocks that cut or quit paying their dividend. I did too. But that is why we don't have all our eggs in one basket. If you had kept every investment you owned to the 5% rule - then that "loss" of dividend would have been very very small to your overall portfolio. And my guess is - that if you were actually in the Best of Breed companies that we're taking about investing in… you'd be very very happy with your overall investments right now. But we can't discuss your individual investments since we don't know what they were.

Quote:
haven't gone back and looked at it since, and I haven't seen where anyone else has corrected my numbers from Friday...but if they are true, how can one NOT include the 3% a year ROI on the stock for the 15 year period in their analysis?

Because nobody is going to waste their time trying to disprove something that nobody cares about. You're MO example was completely flawed by not factoring in the Philip Morris (PM) spilt.

Quote:
, I agree, the 5 year history numbers look fantastic, but doesn't just about every stock's 5 year chart look great. It's because they start at the bottom. The 10, or 15 year charts look much different... In my opinion one can not claim to disregard "timing the market" yet cherry pick the time periods to show return history of a certain stock or strategy.

Again - you're choosing to argue "semantics" rather than a larger picture view. The point of going back to look at charts is to help choose those companies that have a track record of RISING OVER TIME -- and RECOVERING OVER TIME their share prices. It's "reassurance" rather than hard and pat fact. You're trying to disprove each investment. I choose and have tried to guide the newb investors here - that what we're looking to do is to see that by and large - stocks - over time - go up. They are stair steps to be sure - and we need to realize and acknowledge that - but if overall - you begin to SEE - that over time - prices have advanced - despite the occasional wind sucking periods. Some websites only go back 5 years -- not everyone has the ability to go out and find "since the beginning of time" charts. This is INVESTING 102… it is NOT a primer on how to do every last thing regarding every stock ever in the history of time. Nor is it a primer on how to calculate the very last percentage point during the last 15 years.

It IS a primer on big picture thinking - and trying help people past their fears of something they might not fully understand - or have NEVER understood, i.e., "the stock market" and kinda sorta how investing in it works.

Quote:
for the record, I am not using this example as a reason to stay out of the market, I'm using this research as a way to find my own path for investing for the future... I agree with much of what has been said in this thread, one has to be confident and comfortable with the investment choices that are made. Having been there, done that for a significant period of time...I'm now trying to find a new way to be confident and comfortable...

Sorry --- I can only read into your posts what I see. And to me - and perhaps others (from reading their posts to you) that staying OUT of the market is exactly the confirmation you're searching for.

What we're all trying to tell you -- is that while you're busy figuring - the rest of us are busy making money. Frankly - nobody gives two hoots if you're in or out… and I personally have given up trying to lead you by the nose. I really want to -- but I'm only going to spend so much time (already past that point) of trying to prove to you that you're "method" is a losing battle and that had you just done what I've tried to show people here… you'd have a different outlook/outcome.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION in my mind - that I will suffer "market losses" -- on paper -- My net investment will most likely not be worth what I paid. BUT I also absolutely know that I own some of the greatest companies in the world (you or anyone else here has only been shown a very small fraction of my personal investments)… and that at 60 years old - I plan to live long enough that those investments will continue to grow and provide for me. I won't have REAL LOSSES because I won't sell them and therefore actually suffer the losses. That's for losers. My plan is to be a winner. To do that - I have to stay with my investments and continue to collect the dividends (called getting paid to wait - what are we waiting for? For the market dip to come back and start going up AGAIN as it has always done).

HERE'S YOUR ANALYSIS HOMEWORK.

Show me that owning a home is "profitable". In other words -- take a house that you paid $X for in 19XX year -- and had a 30 year 5% mortgage - and factor in hard costs of upkeep - and a minor $50K remodel - and property taxes (that's an actual hard cost of carrying that "investment")…

What this will look like is that some times your "investment" was okay - and sometimes it wasn't keeping up with inflation -- and what I will tell you - is that all the time you owned it - and you finally sold it for more than you paid for it (that's way different than actually making a profit on it)… that whatever you sold it for - the new house was also equally inflated. So you traded dollars - you didn't actually come out ahead unless you sold in San Francisco and moved to Minot ND.

I own a couple apartment complexes -- let me assure you there were times when they SUCKED… Rents were down (especially when the banks would give loans to buy a house for free) - and we had to improve them just to keep tenants. BUT these pay for themselves and spin off cash flow (like dividends) and if and ever I get ready to sell -- they'll be worth more than I paid for them. Maybe. And if they just hold steady - then they still pay me every quarter. And the idiots that rent make my mortgage payment -- so what's not to like? Point is -- real estate was a HORRIBLE investment during the great recession. Hey! Maybe that's why I held on to 'em.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:32 PM

My post was too long…. so here's the last paragraph.

Think about the market as the NFL -- over time - there are teams that consistently suck -- you might live in that town and be a fan - but dude - your team sucks… always… but you still like football in general. The thing to do in the market is to pick "teams" (stocks) that are consistently DECENT -- not stars today and bottom of the pile next year…. we want to pick stuff that stays in the hunt or are always contenders. Since nobody can predict which team is going to the Superbowl… Lets pick 10 teams that have shown they are always in the hunt. Maybe none of them get to the Super Bowl this year… but maybe we get 3 teams in the playoffs… Hey! I'm okay with that. I need to go back over time to look at their history of W's vs L's… and use that to try to confirm or deny why I might pick them. Is it always 100% correct - hell no. Once in a while some team comes from the depths of despair and kicks everyones butt.. OH WELL…. I'm to looking for 100% perfection on every team - I just want guys that I can stick with even when they suck… 'cause I know in my heart that they'll turn it around (that the ownership - rather than the coach this season - the OWNER has to fire people and get the right mix - so really I'm betting on the ownership). So I'm betting on the MARKET to get it right -- and that will float all my boats… and my job is just to pick a mix of pretty decent stocks I can live with. All the analysis in the world will NEVER get me 100%. Sometimes I might have to dump a team that just can't get it together I'm okay with that. But I need to look longer than just this weeks game.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM

I have to add this thought while my little finnies are typing.

What people have to get their head around is that the market is ALWAYS going to go up and down. But if you have a market like this year - it's up 13% or whatever (I don't honestly know 'cause I don't really give a ****)… and next year it only goes up 5%…. and then it's down 4% and then it's up 9% (the market average over time)… YOU'RE GOING TO BE AHEAD… and if you think about that's just capital gain…. you're up way more than that if you factor in a 5% dividend.

That's why I like to simply look at TOTAL RETURN over time…. It's not any more complicated than that. I want to double my money about every 5 to 7 years… even if I have to suffer a downturn in between. I can only use history as a GUIDE - it's not a guarantee of the future. I just have to have some trust that the future will be SIMILAR to the past.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Altria (MO), maker of cigarettes and other tobacco products, shifted all its ownership of Philip Morris International to shareholders. If you owned Altria on March 19, 2008 you were given shares of Philip Morris International on March 28, 2008.Shareholders received one share of Philip Morris International for every share of Altria they owned.

Lance --- Go back and refigure your MO scenario If you'd just bought them the first day they traded as separate companies (because we know those costs and dates).

We know Altria closed at $22.20 on March 31,2008 the first trading day after PM was split off. That day, Philip Morris International closed at $50.58. The value of the two stocks together on that date was $72.78

Today -- the two stocks combined trade for $122.34

In March of 2008 PM paid .46 a quarter -- today it pays .94
In March of 2008 MO paid .32 a quarter -- today it pays .48

So, just quickly -- since 2008 you had a cost basis of $72.78 and you're now picking up a 1.42 per quarter or $5.68 per year. The dividend is now paying you 7.80% based on your cost. AND you have a $49.56 unrealized long term capital gain. That's a 68% capital gain so far.

What part of that is hard to grasp?

5 year TOTAL RETURN on PM --- 152%

5 year TOTAL RETURN on MO --- 229%

I don't know - maybe it's just me…. The way I FIGURE IT… it might be part of why I'm sitting pretty and retired and running my race cars and hot rods… (forget that we were LUCKY AS HELL to begin with - I still have to manage that).
Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM

I transferred a portion of my holdings in my 401k account to more of a self managed account. I purchased 7 stocks. VZ,KMP,PFE,NU,MO,KO,PG.

I went from 0 dividends to $2,000 annually I love seeing the shares climb on there own. Hey you got to start somewhere.All dividends reinvested.

I also opened up a Roth for Me and my wife with Scottrade. I bought a few shares of JNJ in hers and a few CVX in mine. Whats cool with the Scottrade account is that you can buy a totally different stock with the dividends.It doest have to go back into the same stock.Will continue to diversify those.

Also got my brother to switch his account also.His first 3 stocks were KO,KMP,KMB. So this thread has helped my whole family. Thank's for taking the time to get us going.

John
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech404 View Post
I transferred a portion of my holdings in my 401k account to more of a self managed account. I purchased 7 stocks. VZ,KMP,PFE,NU,MO,KO,PG.

I went from 0 dividends to $2,000 annually I love seeing the shares climb on there own. Hey you got to start somewhere.All dividends reinvested.

I also opened up a Roth for Me and my wife with Scottrade. I bought a few shares of JNJ in hers and a few CVX in mine. Whats cool with the Scottrade account is that you can buy a totally different stock with the dividends.It doest have to go back into the same stock.Will continue to diversify those.

Also got my brother to switch his account also.His first 3 stocks were KO,KMP,KMB. So this thread has helped my whole family. Thank's for taking the time to get us going.

John

Great to hear John!!!

Think about that now for a minute! You're now saving $2,000 a year for doing absolutely nothing and if you're saving on top of that === that's going to compound big time!

Send me a postcard from Hawaii when you're there playing golf the week you retire. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder to myself every day if anyone is actually reading, or if they are, are they seeing some success with any of it. So it's heartening to hear that someone is!