Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by protour73 View Post
Closer to your age than you know!!
Truth be told, 55

Well -- like I always say --- sucks to be you! LOL

So 10 years to retirement -- then live another 20 plus -- so that's 30 friggin years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protour73 View Post
Reading as much as I have in this thread, I had a hunch you'd take that stance...... I also wonder what their "fees" usually amount to annually?? Which has the effect of taking away from the company's "match" money
--------------------------------------------------------------
Actually it's = my company kicks in .50 cents for every dollar I invest...up to a max of 6% of my salary.

It's a nice match -- and MOSTLY makes sense to join that pool --- just do a minimum of research to see what you can invest in --- and adjust accordingly.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:11 PM

reurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Well I would have to disagree with those that say the 6% match is "FREE" money... because it depends what the investment is in. Pouring money into a POS fund is LOSING money big time... or loss of opportunity. So it's not really free... and in fact could cost you HUGE.
I hear what your saying, but what your talking about is an extreme/rare instance. It is still an immediate 50% return on investment ("FREE").......it doesn't get any better, period. With my 401k I get the 50% match regardless of what I contribute to and I can move the money to any of the funds available.

1969 Camaro - LS2/4L70E
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrod View Post
reurt
I hear what your saying, but what your talking about is an extreme/rare instance. It is still an immediate 50% return on investment ("FREE").......it doesn't get any better, period. With my 401k I get the 50% match regardless of what I contribute to and I can move the money to any of the funds available.
Lots of unknowing people put their IRA's into BOND FUNDS ------ and that's the kind of thing I'm talking about --- no matter WHAT --- you MUST understand and learn what you're doing or the match is wasted - as is the time it took to accumulate some money etc. People just seem to fall asleep when it comes to investing and THINK that because they're in a 401K all is right with the world.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Lots of unknowing people put their IRA's into BOND FUNDS ------ and that's the kind of thing I'm talking about --- no matter WHAT --- you MUST understand and learn what you're doing or the match is wasted - as is the time it took to accumulate some money etc. People just seem to fall asleep when it comes to investing and THINK that because they're in a 401K all is right with the world.
What your saying is a given......if you don't know what your investing in you shouldn't be. As a general rule the 50% match is a no brainer.

1969 Camaro - LS2/4L70E
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM

I'm 7 pages into a 358 page thread. So far it's awesome and I can't wait to read it all! So many pages to go, forums rock my world. A car forum and a thread on investing, but this time it's someone that actually knows what they are doing. Gotta love it! I'm going to need some coffee!

I'm 30 yrs old and have a good head on my shoulders as far as money goes. Sadly my wife and I haven't saved what we'd like to but we have Roth accounts and a business and I have a solid job with Deloitte. Currently I want to invest to save for retirement, save a boat load of money for our second house to buy in 2-3 years and pay off my school loans - went back to school and graduated in 2013 yay!

IRA/Roth is good and this thread is very informative and just helps to drill down into the basics. Where I struggle is picking those 'big name big cap stocks that pay you a dividend' and finding the info on the company to answer the questions of what type if dividend, large or small, and to know enough about their business and what it means if the stock cut in half. Do I buy more if it cuts in half? What determines that? Does it count on a retail customer to support their business and drive the stock? I don't trust most people so that's probably a bad idea, or is it?

Back to reading and many thanks to you Greg. Sadly since I don't have the buckets and buckets of money that some do, when I get into the mood of investing and saving it makes me want to sell everything and just save save save. '68 Camaro for sale? Haha, noooo!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redefined View Post
I'm 7 pages into a 358 page thread. So far it's awesome and I can't wait to read it all! So many pages to go, forums rock my world. A car forum and a thread on investing, but this time it's someone that actually knows what they are doing. Gotta love it! I'm going to need some coffee!

I'm 30 yrs old and have a good head on my shoulders as far as money goes. Sadly my wife and I haven't saved what we'd like to but we have Roth accounts and a business and I have a solid job with Deloitte. Currently I want to invest to save for retirement, save a boat load of money for our second house to buy in 2-3 years and pay off my school loans - went back to school and graduated in 2013 yay!

IRA/Roth is good and this thread is very informative and just helps to drill down into the basics. Where I struggle is picking those 'big name big cap stocks that pay you a dividend' and finding the info on the company to answer the questions of what type if dividend, large or small, and to know enough about their business and what it means if the stock cut in half. Do I buy more if it cuts in half? What determines that? Does it count on a retail customer to support their business and drive the stock? I don't trust most people so that's probably a bad idea, or is it?

Back to reading and many thanks to you Greg. Sadly since I don't have the buckets and buckets of money that some do, when I get into the mood of investing and saving it makes me want to sell everything and just save save save. '68 Camaro for sale? Haha, noooo!

Well - - first off thank you.

Secondly -- you have a good amount of time on your side... so if you get started you'll have a nice retirement.

Third -- Yeah - the thread has grown a bit -- but much of it is repeated info - so you'll have to learn to skip when it gets repetitive.

Fourth -- It doesn't take much to open a discount brokerage account -- and that's where you'll find a lot of info on what you're missing --- i.e., the dividend etc. But you can also get a lot of that info right on Google Finance -- and I'm sure Yahoo Finance etc.

Fifth -- It sounds good to say -- but stock don't ordinarily or regularly get "cut in half". 10% is considered bear market territory... and 20% is huge... and then that's what you'll learn by sticking with the reading of the thread -- you'll be averaging down and buying more shares when the stocks are low as compared to when they're higher priced. Trust me - stick with it - and you'll get a handle on all of how that looks.

Sixth -- Again - if you stick with the homework here - a lot of how you choose stocks -- is explained in the thread. It's really basic basic thinking - not rocket science -- and will serve you well especially given your age. You'll learn about total return -- dividend investing - investing in things you can understand and or use or recognize the companies that you do business with.

Glad to have you on board!

And don't sell the car -- but do share the "expense" with the "investing" side -- and you can do both...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Since that's the case, spend your money on building the brakes and suspension and not replacing a good engine with another good engine that just happens to make more power. You're in the ATL metro area. You will never be able to truly run with the power guys in the area so be cooler than them. A thumping 68 that can handle will turn more heads than an M5 and be way more unique.

Concentrate on maxing both you and your wife's Roths out. Until you get a better understanding of stock selection etc, you can have the money in a targeted retirement account within the Roth IRA. Do you know what the money in your Roth is currently being invested in?

Good luck. Glad you're getting something out of this thread too.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I'm 30 yrs old and have a good head on my shoulders as far as money goes.
That's all you need!

I'm 55 and committed to investing in 1999. Though I didn't have the wisdom shared in this thread to save me from a few mistakes which when you apply compounding to those losses it would make a substantial (probably $50K) difference to my current portfolio.

You might consider opening a Schwab or other account and buy a few shares (10 or so) of a few solid name dividend stocks in different sectors reinvesting dividends just to get your feet wet and give you a feel for the game so to speak. Then watch what happens on a small scale to get you familiar and comfortable with the procedures.

Combine the additional 10 years you have on me and the knowledge shared here and you'll be looking good at age 55........if you don't get greedy!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM

Years ago I messed around with some trading and had a Scottrade account. Nothing is in it that account now, also have Fidelity and Vanguard but the Fidelity will be merged over into Vanguard shortly - for independence related work reasons. That being said maybe I'll open one up here, thought I'm not sure of any local - doh! I know there are both Scottrade and Fidelity close ha.

Greg do you pay attention to the P/E much when you're looking for a new stock? Or even though it gives a sign into what the investors are thinking is it the same as 'water cooler' chat at the office, if the P/E is to high you might be to late? Or is P/E more for the day trader type?

Oh and my current Roth IRA is in - American Funds The Growth Fund of America A (MUTF:AGTHX) with the following the top 10 holdings (most don't fit the mold of what's talked about in this thread - no dividends!):

Security Net Assets
Gilead Sciences Inc (GILD) 4.13%
Amazon.com Inc (AMZN) 4.00%
Google, Inc. Class A (GOOG) 3.36%
Home Depot, Inc. (HD) 2.36%
EOG Resources (EOG) 2.05%
UnitedHealth Group Inc (UNH) 1.61%
Philip Morris International, Inc. (PM) 1.53%
SOFTBANK Corp (SFTBF) 1.50%
Nike, Inc. Class B (NKE) 1.46%
Comcast Corp Class A (CMCSA) 1.42%

WSSix - that's the problem, it doesn't NEED anything! It has suspension and motor and... and.. and.. haha. It just doesn't have everything I WANT done to it. I think what I'll end up doing for now is ditching the leafs, even though aftermarket upgrades, for a 4 link and mini-tub along with a good tune for the motor/carb and call it a day! For now at least. We need/want to build a new house within 3 years that will have a nice workshop/garage so that's #1 on the 'spend money' list!

But back on topic!!! I just sold a set of wheels I had sitting around in the garage and currently have one of my guns for sale. Soon as that sells maybe I'll toss it towards some of these stocks that have been talked about here and use some on the mods mentioned above.

Last edited by redefined; 01-01-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM

American Growth (AGTHX) - the mutual fund you mention you have --- has a 5.75% FRONT LOAD --- which is a BS word for "commission". Gawd I hate Mutual Funds... and the horse they rode in on.

And it had a pretty good year this year -- however - it's 10 year average is only just that - average - @ 7.94%

It's not a bad fund -- it's just average -- and in a bad year such as 2008 - it was down damn near 40%... but everything was crushed then so it just went along for the ride.

RE: P/E -- that's just ONE metric.... and is rather useless IMHO and that's why what's the most important metric you'll hear me beat into everyone around here is TOTAL RETURN -- who cares how it got there and why and what all the other pretty little numbers are ---- the big question is DID I MAKE MONEY ON MY MONEY AND IF SO - HOW MUCH. If you have a 5 year Total Return number that's over 100% --- you doubled your money in 5 years.... That's an important number.