Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Best handgun for home protection?
.45 acp 103 39.16%
357 mag revolver 26 9.89%
9mm semi 67 25.48%
.40 semi 67 25.48%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Females do have a faster reaction time than males.
Not sure that's really ever been established -- or that it's just a "wives tale".

Reaction time and reflexes are largely dependent on the male or female in question. Tests done to gauge this have turned up mixed results due to the difficulty of establishing consistent testing methods. Age, training, and natural aptitude all play a part in this and makes it very hard to say for sure. However, the tests that have been performed state that men are a bit quicker to react than women.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Females do have a faster reaction time than males.
Are you talking about jumping to conclusions or shooting?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 AM

took someone long enough to get it. LOL

im terrible at telling jokes. I always forget to leave the punch line.

the guys at mythbusters did a test and Kari had shorter reaction but longer action times. Episode 189 – Hollywood Gunslingers

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts
Default Front Sight training

I took the 4 day Defensive handgun class at Front Sight the week after SEMA… I have to tell you that 4 days of that is INTENSE… but worth the effort. They not only have you shooting far better and far faster than you ever did -- they discuss important topics such as Morals - Ethics - Legal liability, etc.

You start really early the first day since everyone has to have a thorough gun and ammo check… and that first day is L O N G… and they start promptly at 8AM on the range.

Couple of things --- This place is not only out in Pahrump -- it's also out in the pucker weeds about 13 miles from Pahrump. AND there's a lot of people taking their various courses. I was shocked at how many people were there! But they have shotgun courses - rifle - sniper - tactical courses - defensive courses… so when you add it all up = there's a lot of folks out there every day.

My course was training for you to be able to draw from a concealed holster - meaning your jacket etc is completely covering your weapon - and zipped up etc - and you have to draw and put two in the torso area in a hand sized pattern in LESS than 1.5 seconds. If you think you can do this - go ahead and try. Just make sure you don't put a racing stripe down your leg.

SAFETY was really strict… and I liked that! You're in an open range with about 20 other people you don't know - and you don't know their skill level. They had this down to a science.

We went thru about 600 rounds… (you bring your own ammo)… which doesn't seem like much - but you have to be ACCURATE with that ammo… and you're drawing and firing from various distances. So it's PLENTY of shooting as far as I'm concerned. This isn't target practice -- this is drawing - moving - scanning for "other targets" (perps)… there's a whole bunch going on.

Anyway -- I'd highly recommend this school for those so inclined. It's very professional - well run - great instruction… lots of DUST and SUN… and lots of on your feet for long hours… but the net result was extremely useful.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 PM

personally, i prefer a carbine for home D and the pistol for out and about (when in VA and other places that allow it). my FNP40 goes bang every time and fits my hands well but it is meant for the type of CQB that would be encountered in a home, just need a suppressor now..its a lil loud shooting inside...

comes down to.. just use what is most comfortable to you and practice, practice, practice, practice. run different routes through your home until you can do it blindfolded and in the dark. dry fire, a lot. hell, use airsoft as a training aid. train as you fight, fight as you train. your life may depend on it.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM

I vote for 45acp and not that plastic gun crap...

Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Glocks & Air Soft

I had a Gen 3 Glock 22 with night sights and a 3.5lb trigger etc. that I had for most of the time I was on active duty... got scared when my two little boys (now 6 & 10) started playing Air Soft "Call of Duty" with the neighbor kids.

Those things look a LOT like my G22 with the exception of the red/orange tip. Long story short, I got rid of it for the same reasons GW discussed earlier... I had the weapon in one spot with a trigger lock, the clips in another and the ammo locked up in a safe elsewhere... "hold on Mr. Intruder, I know you just kicked in my front door but I need a few minutes!" LOL

Didn't make a lot of sense, so I got a Mossberg 500 18" Tactical for my wife (aka Black Betty) and a 590 20" for me... but regretted selling the .40 ever since.

So for Christmas this year, my wife surprised me with a new Gen4 G22! Glock has "blue label" pricing for retired military and police than can't be beat! And Glock got it right with the new Gen4 as it comes with most of the mods everyone was doing to old Gen3s... beavertail backstrap, dual springs for less recoil, etc. I'll just add the Trigicon night sights and the 3.5# or "dot" connector again.

Now our HD is set imo with the G22 in a nightstand drawer safe, loaded up with 3 clips of Critical Defense hollow points and two Mossberg's with Critical Defense 00 @ 1600fps. When my wife hears a noise in the middle of the night, I grab the Glock and she grabs "Black Betty"!

My FIL is a custom home builder btw... in case dry wall repairs are needed after we call 911.
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 01-27-2015, 01:57 PM

What's the fascination with Glocks except that they are cheap? I bought one once, put 500 rounds through it and was all over the place. My current Springfield pictured about the first 5 shots at 7 yards could have been covered by a quarter...
Old 01-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetly View Post
What's the fascination with Glocks except that they are cheap? I bought one once, put 500 rounds through it and was all over the place. My current Springfield pictured about the first 5 shots at 7 yards could have been covered by a quarter...
Glocks work fine. Different strokes for different folks. Glocks are here to stay like it or not and they somewhat started the polymer revolution which we've all benefited from. Many defenders bet their life on them and have proved they are an effective combat weapon......no need to trash them.

Zero shoots a Glock and I wouldn't want to go up against him with a shotgun in CQC........even at distance.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,571 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Glocks work fine. Different strokes for different folks. Glocks are here to stay like it or not and they somewhat started the polymer revolution which we've all benefited from. Many defenders bet their life on them and have proved they are an effective combat weapon......no need to trash them.

Zero shoots a Glock and I wouldn't want to go up against him with a shotgun in CQC........even at distance.
There's nothing wrong with them, I've seen guys who are incredibly accurate with them. Mine always go bang, and is more than accurate enough for me.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit