Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Why the latches? Also wondering if you thought of just using the windows and guts etc. from the 73-74 doors so you could still use the door panels from the 68-72 car? Maybe your not using stck panels so it doesnt matter.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceL View Post
Why the latches? Also wondering if you thought of just using the windows and guts etc. from the 73-74 doors so you could still use the door panels from the 68-72 car? Maybe your not using stck panels so it doesnt matter.
The late model latches close smoothly without slamming, more like a late model car. Plus we convert them to electric so we can shave the stock lock cylinder.

We could've transferred everything to the original door but since we need to reskin and patch them anyway it made more sense to swap the whole door. The channels as well as the inner door frames with the regulator mounting would need to be grafted. We'll probably leather wrap the 73 door panels and build rears to match.

Aaron Elenbaum
www.ambitionroad.com
[email protected]
704-608-6967

*Now scheduling full turn-key custom builds
*Sheet metal restoration and replacement
*Pro-touring rollers

Follow all our builds on FB--> https://www.facebook.com/Ambitionroadllc
Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 PM

I was wondering on the doors because i have a 72 with perfect doors but I also have 73 doors because I want that vent gone. Sounds like a lot of work to keep the 72 doors instead of swapping. Was it hard to put the latches in and what year car are they from? Thanks a lot for the help. Sweet car you've got!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceL View Post
I was wondering on the doors because i have a 72 with perfect doors but I also have 73 doors because I want that vent gone. Sounds like a lot of work to keep the 72 doors instead of swapping. Was it hard to put the latches in and what year car are they from? Thanks a lot for the help. Sweet car you've got!
I was able to pull the pins and install the passenger door, but the drivers door sat way low so I had to separate the hinges and move it up. The customer supplied the new doors that didn't seem to need as much work (until blasting) so that seemed to be the best route.

I'd say if your original doors are solid and already fit then you may be better off looking at converting them.

I usually use a 2010 Malibu door latch, this time I used 2015 Camaro latches as they have a slightly longer interior pull cable. They aren't "hard" to install, just take time and patience. You'll need to fill the three stock screw holes and drill new ones. Then reshape the latch cutout. The stock striker hole will need to be filled and a new cage plate made for the new GM striker. You'll then need to install electric poppers and mount an electronic micro switch to the outside handles. Don't forget a mechanical cable hidden somewhere in case of a dead battery. All in all it takes about a day and a few hundred dollars for the GM latches. Well worth not having to slam doors over and over on a fresh build.

Aaron Elenbaum
www.ambitionroad.com
[email protected]
704-608-6967

*Pro-touring rollers

Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition Road View Post
I was able to pull the pins and install the passenger door, but the drivers door sat way low so I had to separate the hinges and move it up. The customer supplied the new doors that didn't seem to need as much work (until blasting) so that seemed to be the best route.

I'd say if your original doors are solid and already fit then you may be better off looking at converting them.

I usually use a 2010 Malibu door latch, this time I used 2015 Camaro latches as they have a slightly longer interior pull cable. They aren't "hard" to install, just take time and patience. You'll need to fill the three stock screw holes and drill new ones. Then reshape the latch cutout. The stock striker hole will need to be filled and a new cage plate made for the new GM striker. You'll then need to install electric poppers and mount an electronic micro switch to the outside handles. Don't forget a mechanical cable hidden somewhere in case of a dead battery. All in all it takes about a day and a few hundred dollars for the GM latches. Well worth not having to slam doors over and over on a fresh build.
Hey Aaron,
can you source the poppers and micro switch? or know where I can get them from locally? Mechanically it doesn't work well with the standard handles, but the Lokar electronic handles are very tempting
Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Hey Aaron,
can you source the poppers and micro switch? or know where I can get them from locally? Mechanically it doesn't work well with the standard handles, but the Lokar electronic handles are very tempting
The poppers are autoloc 10# available from Summit or Amazon but prefer to build better brackets so they don't loosen. I have a supplier I get switches from. The stock handles aren't hard to convert. It involves making a small small bracket and mounting to the handle with #4 button heads.

Aaron Elenbaum
www.ambitionroad.com
[email protected]
704-608-6967

*Pro-touring rollers

Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition Road View Post
The poppers are autoloc 10# available from Summit or Amazon but prefer to build better brackets so they don't loosen. I have a supplier I get switches from. The stock handles aren't hard to convert. It involves making a small small bracket and mounting to the handle with #4 button heads.
Perfect, thanks for the information as always
Old 07-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm glad this was asked. I don't necessarily want electric door poppers, but I've always been curious about the new latch and striker bolts. Especially now as I'm currently dealing with a loose door on the TA from worn out latch and striker components.

Thanks for the great info Aaron.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Yes, thanks for the information. Awesome stuff! I was thinking the same thing about the original doors which fit great. I guess I will just modify them since they fit perfect. I am not sure what is involved in that? Gosh I hate those VENTS!!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM

Tucked and modified front bumper.
Attached Images

Aaron Elenbaum
www.ambitionroad.com
[email protected]
704-608-6967

*Pro-touring rollers