Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy09 View Post
Again I am still learning, so bear with me. I really hate 401K and the Mutual Funds in them... Fees and terrible choices....

But in my Schwab self run plan, I do own , along with many other things, these Mutual Funds. I am not saying to buy them, remember , I am a novice, but I picked Great performers, but i am not sure if it is the best route..

I have the following

OIBAX,LSBRX,TGLDX,TPICX,SAMIX,TGINX,PTTDX,

I did the research, and these picks crush the similar funds of others..

But I am going to have to do so much homework after reading this thread...

Here is the AVERAGE ANNUAL RETURN PRE TAX....

So here's the thing -- If I can get a 5% DIVIDEND annually -- that's near where your total return is on some of these! And that's discounting any growth in the share price! Still -- there's a couple good ones in there and if you can get 10% annualized growth rate - that's doing pretty well. Not great - but "okay". The GOLD fund -- TGLDX is the one that's gone exceptional... so lucky you IF you bought it 3 plus years ago. I wouldn't buy it now thats for sure because that would be to assume gold is going higher from here... and I wouldn't make that bet.

The OBIAX 10.47%

The SAMIX 5.29%

The LSBRX 9.71%

The TPICX since inception is DOWN 7.67%

The TGINX 10.04%

The PTTDX 6.47%

The TGLDX 23.80%
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOVERY ROOM View Post
I now what you mean, Im looking at everything now because of the info hear....WOW. ( I take it that GW hates funds)

Hate is not a strong enough description....
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Yes.. I truly believe that just doing the investing and research, and networking like we are doing, will be more than most will ever do...

With study and Smart work, we will do well...But with a little more effort and research, we can do even better, without being greedy...IMHO

What I hate the most about FUNDS - is the comparisons -- because it's so hard to do... and there's so many BAD funds out there...

People say to me - man the stock market really sucks - my mutual funds are down 20% and I just want to slap them! Because somehow they think "their mutual fund" is hooked to the hip of the stock market... and they're NOT...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
What I hate the most about FUNDS - is the comparisons -- because it's so hard to do... and there's so many BAD funds out there...

People say to me - man the stock market really sucks - my mutual funds are down 20% and I just want to slap them! Because somehow they think "their mutual fund" is hooked to the hip of the stock market... and they're NOT...
Being the novice, it is hard for me to compare my funds to anything other than similar funds of it's kind. But they are so sliced up, I can't compare them to anything individual ..

A lot of my stuff doesn't follow the Market...Heck, some of my Gold funds don't even follow the price of Gold...

So I am still figuring things out.. I am just trying to limit my errors, and any under performing..

but the process of learning, and the rewards of doing something, are well ....addicting..

P.S. If their funds are down 20%, they have the wrong funds...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Being the novice, it is hard for me to compare my funds to anything other than similar funds of it's kind. But they are so sliced up, I can't compare them to anything individual ..

A lot of my stuff doesn't follow the Market...Heck, some of my Gold funds don't even follow the price of Gold...

So I am still figuring things out.. I am just trying to limit my errors, and any under performing..

but the process of learning, and the rewards of doing something, are well ....addicting..

P.S. If their funds are down 20%, they have the wrong funds...

Well -- that's the big issue with funds -- it's really so hard to accurately gauge the performance. Most are just mediocre... and when you factor in the 1% fees (many are slightly less and many are more)... that's just money for nothing. You funds - except the one - are decent. But I still would be willing to bet that you can do BETTER on your own.

Ya know -- 1% fee on a 100K IRA account is 1 grand.... after 10 years -- that's 10 grand in someone else's pocket. It's one thing if I'm paying people to MAKE me money - then one could argue that the 1% is money well spent... but when people wake up and after 10 years they're barely ahead... then that fee is beyond stupid! 100 grand - after 10 years - better be 200 grand or something is wrong!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Well -- that's the big issue with funds -- it's really so hard to accurately gauge the performance. Most are just mediocre... and when you factor in the 1% fees (many are slightly less and many are more)... that's just money for nothing. You funds - except the one - are decent. But I still would be willing to bet that you can do BETTER on your own.

Ya know -- 1% fee on a 100K IRA account is 1 grand.... after 10 years -- that's 10 grand in someone else's pocket. It's one thing if I'm paying people to MAKE me money - then one could argue that the 1% is money well spent... but when people wake up and after 10 years they're barely ahead... then that fee is beyond stupid! 100 grand - after 10 years - better be 200 grand or something is wrong!
Thanks Greg..

Man, I will have to run some other holdings i have , by you on another day. I really do appreciate your taking the time to give me your opinion.

Yes, most of my buys were in 2008/2009, so I am a happy guy..

Again I kept most of my money out of my 401K and self invested. the hidden fees in a company plan are madness..

On another note, I go by the car shop tomorrow to get pictures underneath before they take it off the lift..Then it is a test drive....WOOT.

Last edited by Bucketlist2012; 01-11-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Ok, I thought I would wait , but here are some other holdings I have.

BPT, KMP, SDRL, SLW, SPH,CEF, GTU, TIP,SCHO for cash on hand
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Ok, I thought I would wait , but here are some other holdings I have.

BPT, KMP, SDRL, SLW, SPH,CEF, GTU, TIP,SCHO for cash on hand

You need to get diversified.....
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks, I thought so...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Here are the top 10 holdings in the only fund I have left:
FSTMX Fidelity Spartan Total Market Index Inv
Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) 2.75%
Apple, Inc. (AAPL) 2.48%
International Business Machines Corp (IBM) 1.58%
Chevron Corp (CVX) 1.45%
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) 1.33%
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) 1.25%
The Procter & Gamble Co (PG) 1.24%
AT&T Inc (T) 1.21%
General Electric Co (GE) 1.19%
Pfizer Inc (PFE) 1.09%

The current value of the fund is $12,530.74 after my initial investment of $10,000 about 3 years ago. I believe that if I were to divide that $10,000 between those top 10 holdings 3 years ago I would be in a much better position. Something I will be considering within the next couple of weeks. I may not go with the exact 10 listed but I think I can do a lot better than this.
Once I can get my Rollover IRA working for itself I will focus my attention on my Schwab account and my Roth IRA.