Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57hemicuda View Post
It may be crooked, too long, etc. etc., but every time I see the pics of that car, I say to myself, wow that is cool as hell. I know we all have different taste in cars, but a full frame, down in the weeds is hard to beat.

This is your chance to make it better then it was before, faster, stronger. If I could make the six million dollar man eye noises come out of the computer it would be awesome. All kidding aside, when its done, as low and wide as thing is, this thing will be up there as one of the best Camaro builds of all time. Stay the course and gitter done.
Agreed!

Don't let one crook taint your vision Payton.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It may be crooked, too long, etc. etc., but every time I see the pics of that car, I say to myself, wow that is cool as hell. I know we all have different taste in cars, but a full frame, down in the weeds is hard to beat.

This is your chance to make it better then it was before, faster, stronger. If I could make the six million dollar man eye noises come out of the computer it would be awesome. All kidding aside, when its done, as low and wide as thing is, this thing will be up there as one of the best Camaro builds of all time. Stay the course and gitter done.
Im with creative Ron, don't fucuss on the negative. Take the bad, embrace it, hold it and turn it around on its heals. Many of my own great accomplishments were born from mistakes.
I would love to see a 110" wheel base track car.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Well aren't you a bundle of positivity today.

Stay classy, Baltimore.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

Here is some of what has happened up to this point. Once I got the car back to my house in September, I noticed a few things right off and broke out the tape measure.

First issue was he built/ordered my rear 2 inches too narrow. He did correct that problem but it took me 6 months to get it...and then he did not weld the lower TA mount on so I had to have that done.

At the same time I noticed that he built the "bird cage" for the watts to close to the stanchion tubes on the rear end housing. I have 1.25 inches of compression travel before it hits. The shock mounts are on the inside of the frame rail an is part of the "bird cage." The mount is too close to the frame so I cannot attach a shock without it hitting.

While we are still at the rear, the mount for the fuel cell was built to the wrong measurements. No off the shelf fuel cell will fit, so that has to be remade.

Front LCA that he fabbed are too wide. Can only get 18 degrees of turn at ride height and about 8 degrees at compression. I let him know about the problem and told him he needed to move each side in a minimum of an inch. Had a conversation and sent pictures. Where the wheels contact the control arm is 9 inches wide; on the same spot as a stock C5/6 arm it is 7 inches. He made me a new set of arms and sent them when he sent the rear end. The new arms are still not correct. He moved the leading tube in but left the back profile of the arm the same, essentially no correction since it was hitting in the rear.

Everyone knows that the car's wheel base is 2 inches too long. I texted Jake and asked "so how are we going to resolve this?" He said to move the entire clip back 2 inches. I asked who is paying? He said "I will to a point of what makes more sense of me doing it or someone there."

We will see if he steps up and pays for it to be corrected. I know for sure there is no way my car is going back to his shop with as many issues as it has now and the time frame he is on to complete anyone's work.

In the next couple of weeks we are going to level up the car and start pulling measurements and checking geometry, so I will keep you posted.

Almost forgot, to add insult to injury, he cut out my gas fill location off of the tail pan and used it to make a part for another customer without asking me.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post

Here is some of what has happened up to this point. Once I got the car back to my house in September, I noticed a few things right off and broke out the tape measure.

First issue was he built/ordered my rear 2 inches too narrow. He did correct that problem but it took me 6 months to get it...and then he did not weld the lower TA mount on so I had to have that done.

At the same time I noticed that he built the "bird cage" for the watts to close to the stanchion tubes on the rear end housing. I have 1.25 inches of compression travel before it hits. The shock mounts are on the inside of the frame rail an is part of the "bird cage." The mount is too close to the frame so I cannot attach a shock without it hitting.

While we are still at the rear, the mount for the fuel cell was built to the wrong measurements. No off the shelf fuel cell will fit, so that has to be remade.

Front LCA that he fabbed are too wide. Can only get 18 degrees of turn at ride height and about 8 degrees at compression. I let him know about the problem and told him he needed to move each side in a minimum of an inch. Had a conversation and sent pictures. Where the wheels contact the control arm is 9 inches wide; on the same spot as a stock C5/6 arm it is 7 inches. He made me a new set of arms and sent them when he sent the rear end. The new arms are still not correct. He moved the leading tube in but left the back profile of the arm the same, essentially no correction since it was hitting in the rear.

Everyone knows that the car's wheel base is 2 inches too long. I texted Jake and asked "so how are we going to resolve this?" He said to move the entire clip back 2 inches. I asked who is paying? He said "I will to a point of what makes more sense of me doing it or someone there."

We will see if he steps up and pays for it to be corrected. I know for sure there is no way my car is going back to his shop with as many issues as it has now and the time frame he is on to complete anyone's work.

In the next couple of weeks we are going to level up the car and start pulling measurements and checking geometry, so I will keep you posted.

Almost forgot, to add insult to injury, he cut out my gas fill location off of the tail pan and used it to make a part for another customer without asking me.
WTF!?!

only one thing to do now....Shelby gas filler flip cap.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
WTF!?!

#Winning

Skip
Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
WTF!?!

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 PM

Payton this sounds all too familiar...I am sorry to hear all the crap you have to wade through I've been there with Jake. After 2 years I finally ended up with almost everything he owed me, I gave up on the axles. It is just mind boggling, to treat customers this way and expect to stay in business. I still really like the parts I got from him, but the stress and everything that comes along with it is not worth it. I hope you get it all resolved and it all works out for you.
-69 Camaro Hardtop (Full Frame Project)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/384710...vrolet-camaro/
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post

WTF??? I hate it when people pull crap like that.

Hope everything works out for you. Love your previous 69 Camaro. No doubt this one will be killer when you're done.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Default I am really sorry to hear this happened to you!

had a long post and some of my typical brain dumping Figured it not appropriate or necessary, so...

The summary: the dude that built that chassis is a total dipsh!t (which appears I simply concur with everyone else here so no news there). A kid that saw a handy man build a deck on a cabin "this one time at band camp" could do a better job. At least he would have seen a guy use a plumb bob, level, and tape measure to square up the framing.

I hope you can keep it rolling and get back in there, and I am with everyone else, keep the faith! I can imagine how hard it is to stay motivated, but I too think it will be pretty bitchin' once it is done and fixed by a guy that knows his stuff.