Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2022, 02:42 AM

If the floor is flexing to the point its a problem with hitting the driveshaft you have many other issues . 4 people in a car shouldn't "move" the floor more than 1/16 ..1/8 inch max
Old 10-28-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
If the floor is flexing to the point its a problem with hitting the driveshaft you have many other issues . 4 people in a car shouldn't "move" the floor more than 1/16 ..1/8 inch max
Under load, I could see it being more....
Old 10-28-2022, 05:16 PM

The floor will flex a bit with more passengers in the car, and flex more over bumps and under load. I agree that no way it should move 1”, but what I was trying to say is leaving extra clearance for the driveshaft is much better than not leaving enough… replacing the tunnel is not a job you want to do twice.

It’s also a good idea to leave some extra room just in case you ever change the transmission or rear end later and things have to be adjusted a bit for proper u-joint working angles (different transmission length, different rear end style with a different pinion height relative to the axle centerline, etc.)
Old 10-31-2022, 10:06 PM

My Chevelle is low, but not un-driveable low. I had the family in the car a couple years ago, my 16 yr old son in the back…now 18…and we hit a bump coming off a bridge here in N. Ga. The driveshaft kissed, and I mean just barely smooched the rear tunnel/floor crossmember. It left a faint mark on the driveshaft that only went about half a revolution, so it was sure enough just a faint smooch.
Got it on the lift that evening and expected it to be a re-paint of the driveshaft. It wasn’t bad at all. I put two turns in my adjustable rear coil overs, and we never had that happen again. It’s close back there at ride height…very close. I wish I had cut that all out Jody and fabbed it all the way back, by re-doing all the crossmembers, but I did like your doing yours and only opened it up enough to get my T56 mag in. My front u-joint sits directly under the front crossmember and to get my angles right, the 1350 joint misses the crossmember by maybe 1/8”. It’s all very close. I run a custom HW 3” driveshaft because I’d have to raise the car up some with a bigger but stronger 3.5” driveshaft.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Che70velle For This Useful Post:
camcojb (11-01-2022), jarhead (01-28-2023), kwhizz (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
My Chevelle is low, but not un-driveable low. I had the family in the car a couple years ago, my 16 yr old son in the back…now 18…and we hit a bump coming off a bridge here in N. Ga. The driveshaft kissed, and I mean just barely smooched the rear tunnel/floor crossmember. It left a faint mark on the driveshaft that only went about half a revolution, so it was sure enough just a faint smooch.
Got it on the lift that evening and expected it to be a re-paint of the driveshaft. It wasn’t bad at all. I put two turns in my adjustable rear coil overs, and we never had that happen again. It’s close back there at ride height…very close. I wish I had cut that all out Jody and fabbed it all the way back, by re-doing all the crossmembers, but I did like your doing yours and only opened it up enough to get my T56 mag in. My front u-joint sits directly under the front crossmember and to get my angles right, the 1350 joint misses the crossmember by maybe 1/8”. It’s all very close. I run a custom HW 3” driveshaft because I’d have to raise the car up some with a bigger but stronger 3.5” driveshaft.
My car was fairly low, and before I sliced my floor my u-joint working angles were nearly 5 degrees with the transmission as high as it would go with the front yoke almost rubbing the tunnel and the rear end pinion angle adjusted as best as possible. Vibration at freeway speed was terrible to the point the mirrors were useless, I trashed the slip yoke bushing in the tailshaft in only a few thousand miles, and the rear balance weight on the driveshaft (4") would frequently "stripe" the floor over bumps with just me in the car.

My half ass fix for a little while was to take a hammer to the floor for a bit more clearance where the driveshaft was rubbing and also add the El Camino / station wagon bump stop spacers to the rear end which raise the bump stops about an inch. That stopped the driveshaft hitting the floor, but losing an inch of bump travel meant the car would hit the bump stops constantly over any little road imperfection. That made for very, very unpredictable behavior in turns over bumps when the bump stop hit the frame making the spring rate effectively go sky high resulting in instant oversteer... yikes.

After slicing the floor u-joint working angles were down to 0.7 degrees; zero vibration even at well above triple digit speeds and no more driveshaft clearance issues or rapid wear of the tailshaft bushing. I was able to remove the rear bump stop extenders and actually shave the rear bump stops down to get additional bump travel out of the rear suspension (that snowballed into having to rework and raise the tailpipes... worth it though.)

Also, regarding extra passengers in the car... this is an area where keeping the conventional springs in the rear of the car (if you have the factory frame) is an advantage compared to coilovers... because you can easily run air lift bags inside the springs and an onboard compressor to quickly accommodate the extra weight in the car. If it's just you or one passenger in the car, leave only 1-2 psi in them to maintain their shape and not alter your ride height or spring rate. If you put 4 people in the car or put a bunch of weight in the trunk, add some air to the bags via the remote control without leaving the driver's seat and keep your ride height where it should be and stay off the bump stops. That's something not easily done with coilovers unless you crawl under the car to adjust the spring seats. I can't take credit for the air lift bag idea... Mark Savitske from SC&C gave me that tip during one of our many long phone calls over the years. It was one of those "duh... why didn't I think of that?" moments when he mentioned adding the airbags to deal with extra passengers.

I've also installed the air lift bags and compressor on a friend's 70 Chevelle that's also rather low; it used to have frequent driveshaft to floor contact with 2 or more people in the car. Now he can now put 4 people in the car and a big ice chest in the trunk with no issues.

Even though I'm converting the front suspension on my car to coilovers and doing frame mods for them, I'm sticking with conventional springs in the rear just so I can install the air lift bags and compressor even though I've sliced out the floor and driveshaft clearance is no longer a concern for me... it's just a very convenient solution when it comes to putting 4 people in the car or a bunch of heavy stuff in the trunk. Since most of my friends decided to omit AC in their cars for reasons of simplicity or performance and I'm the only one who installed AC in my car (because it was my daily driver for many years) during the summer my friends often decide to ride with me so they don't roast. I guess riding in my car is cheaper and easier than adding AC to their cars...

Last edited by Blown353; 11-01-2022 at 12:53 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
andrewb70 (01-02-2023), camcojb (11-01-2022), Che70velle (11-06-2022), ScotI (11-01-2022), syborg tt (12-07-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 02:21 PM

One of the best thing in these car's are their hidden wipers. I loved to have these cars.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:24 PM

What a great build! I recently went thru the driveshaft tunnel pain.... where my 4" alum driveshaft was rubbing under small bumps...... and under a big compression bump would've been BAD. So the rest had to be cut out and fabbed up for better clearance. You have done just about everything else... so you may as well cut that out too before doing carpet etc.

What kind of power are you shooting for? That RXT 1200HD is what I'm running and it will hold up to well over 1000rwhp in our heavy cars.
I missed it.. what gears are you running out back?

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....

Last edited by gnx7; 12-09-2022 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnx7 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,559 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx7 View Post
What a great build! I recently went thru the driveshaft tunnel pain.... where my 4" alum driveshaft was rubbing under small bumps...... and under a big compression bump would've been BAD. So the rest had to be cut out and fabbed up for better clearance. You have done just about everything else... so you may as well cut that out too before doing carpet etc.

What kind of power are you shooting for? That RXT 1200HD is what I'm running and it will hold up to well over 1000rwhp in our heavy cars.
I missed it.. what gears are you running out back?
Yeah, I've decided to have the tunnel raised, much easier to do now. Plus I'm going back with the reduced height body mounts that RS provides with the chassis, which pretty much will make it a requirement.

This is just a street car that I plan to drive a lot. Maybe 800-900 rwhp max. I went with 3.50 gears and aluminum 3rd member from Currie.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
Che70velle (12-15-2022), kwhizz (12-10-2022), waynieZ (12-13-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 09:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Jody.........As you know it's more fun to "Drive" them rather than "Owning" them !!!..........LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 09:30 AM

Jody,

A friend of mine built that '50 chevy truck. The paint color is Canyon Beige & it is a Mercedes color!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rucumn For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-10-2022)

Tags
70 chevelle, aeromotive, american powertrain, amsoil, baer brakes, borgeson, clayton machine, currie, dakota digital, eddie motorsports, forgeline, holley performance, hydratech, ididit, lateral-g, lokar, magnaflow, mcleod racing, mighty mouse solutions, modo innovations, morris classic concepts, painless performance, protouring, restomodair, roadster shop, rock valley antique auto parts, ron davis, texas speed, thermotec, tmi products, vintage air