Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-18-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I would also suggest that you look at some real estate companies..... not only do they spin off decent dividends - it adds to your diversity. I personally own NNN - but have also owned O... and I'm not recommending either of them -- I'm just saying I think you need more diversity and some better dividends.

O

NNN

BXP
Going to school on these. If you had an opportunity to invest in shares of a commercial real estate LLC or buy real estate shares publicly shared, which would be more attractive to you? Better question may be, what attributes would you look at if considering a commercial real estate LLC that is being organized to buy a single location or land development project?

1973 Trans Am "KLRBRD"
1969 Camaro SOLD
2014 Stingray Z51 SOLD

Old 09-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Looks like BABA is going to be set at $68 I believe. Lets do some gambling without going to vegas! lol
Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichirone View Post
Going to school on these. If you had an opportunity to invest in shares of a commercial real estate LLC or buy real estate shares publicly shared, which would be more attractive to you? Better question may be, what attributes would you look at if considering a commercial real estate LLC that is being organized to buy a single location or land development project?

Single entities always assume more risk. Then you're really investing with the management -- which is fine if you know them and their history of bringing successful developments to market. I've been investing with a guy in apartment buildings for 20+ years and every one of them has a been a total score. My biggest fear is if he dies... Then what? I really have never asked him.. and maybe I should.

Smaller money --- more LIQUID --- as in way way way more liquid is a publicly traded REIT such as the ones I mentioned earlier "O" and "NNN" as well as many others. You can sell with a click of the mouse. Not so in LLC's where you're a minor partner and really have ZERO control as an investor.

If you have tons of money -- don't have any need for it (as in see it go to zero) and have no immediate (5 to 10 years) need for the cash for "other stuff" -- then LLC's have some nice tax benefits such as depreciation etc that work pretty well... and if there's cash flow (interest)... and the upside of a sale and return of principal down the road - they can be real corkers! I was in a 344 unit class A apartment complex in Tucson that was dead money for 4 years - until it was sold to convert to condos - and returned 117%. I'll take a double in 4 years every day if I could get it. But for 4 years before then I was kicking myself for having ever looked at the deal.

So the criteria for these two commercial real estate investments is:

Do you want liquidity and relative safety with a dividend but no tax benefit or
Do you tie up your money (Illiquid) and increase risk (single entity) with a tax benefit... and a possibility much larger total return out to an unknown date.

I own both types... but I have no liquidity issues either... 20 years ago I knew I was gambling (I was 40 and not 60+) - and it worked out well. I've since invested with the same guy in several apartment complexes but I would NOT invest like this with anyone else if he should quit business or whatever. In my mind - I'm not investing in an apartment... I'm investing in him with and I get his considerable skills.

Good question by the way.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMike View Post
Looks like BABA is going to be set at $68 I believe. Lets do some gambling without going to vegas! lol

ALABAMA FOR ALIBABA!! You go girl!! LOL
Old 09-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
ALABAMA FOR ALIBABA!! You go girl!! LOL
Go BABA!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichirone View Post
One thing to watch out for with REITS is that they are very interest rate sensitive. If you believe we are going into a rising interest rate environment you could expect lower share prices. The last few weeks is a pretty good example. As the 10-year yield has risen, most REITs share prices have declined.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM

good article IMO

http://online.wsj.com/articles/dont-...ide-1411140558

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM

I went to make a "gamble" purchase (had a couple items in mind. Baba was one)...

But, I just couldn't pull the trigger. Knowing full well on how many other choices I have that wouldn't be a "gamble" and still go up. lol.

Edit... i went ahead and gambled. Its a very small % of my retirement. and part of it came from some employees that werent performing anyway.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.

Last edited by toy71camaro; 09-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Set my trigger at $89 at 7 am and went to work. I guess my money is safe for a few days.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM

If nothing else, at least its a little excitement in the midst of all the steady eddies just working away like clockwork.

More excitement than throwing it all down on red! lol

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.