Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

We also have to wonder, how much of the decline today is profit-taking by those that got shares at, or just above, the IPO price? I'm not defending the stock, couldn't care less about it, but that would be an explanation that could make today's movement "seem" like more of a buying opportunity than a sign of impending doom.

Edit: Upon further review...it looks like the banks issued more shares. So the decline is likely created by the dilution of the additional shares. Greg's point still holds true though, for whatever fundamental reason, how willing are you to stomach these day-to-day swings?

Last edited by JKnight; 09-22-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
We also have to wonder, how much of the decline today is profit-taking by those that got shares at, or just above, the IPO price? I'm not defending the stock, couldn't care less about it, but that would be an explanation that could make today's movement "seem" like more of a buying opportunity than a sign of impending doom.

Edit: Upon further review...it looks like the banks issued more shares. So the decline is likely created by the dilution of the additional shares. Greg's point still holds true though, for whatever fundamental reason, how willing are you to stomach these day-to-day swings?

Totally agree Jeff.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Greg, speaking of this Alibaba stock.

Question #1, whats the difference with a foreign stock and a foreign market like say the Nikkei (did i spell that right?)

#2 so would Coke do a public stock overseas, like on the nikkei?

Or is it a global ipo and i'm not quite understanding the flow of money?

thanx, Mike
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 PM

After reading this TWICE -- I still have no idea what you're asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Greg, speaking of this Alibaba stock.

Question #1, whats the difference with a foreign stock and a foreign market like say the Nikkei (did i spell that right?)

#2 so would Coke do a public stock overseas, like on the nikkei?

Or is it a global ipo and i'm not quite understanding the flow of money?

thanx, Mike
Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 AM

It will be interesting to see the impact of war on the market.

Strategic portfolio adjustments in times of war?

Opportunities?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM

I've been following the Alibaba Group Holding Ltd IPO and have mixed feelings about it.

I want to see how things play out after the lockup. But, interesting about this specific IPO is that about 1/3 of the pre-shares were not "restricted" for lockup, weather or not this will create a stir... well that will have to be seen.

I've never been a fan of IPO hype, I want to see how things sit once the lockup is over and we see the stock hopefully mellow out. If earnings are going to move forward with what is predicted then investing after the lockup will still provide at least a few "baggers" if you are planning a long term hold on the stocks.

Greg, thoughts on the un-restricted shares of the lockup?

Jason

Last edited by JasonElvisHeard; 09-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
After reading this TWICE -- I still have no idea what you're asking.
I guess the Dow, Nikkei, Nasdaq are all just measurement/averageing devices. My question was/is, How is the "Alibaba" traded? i guess the same goes for Sony, Toyota etc...I've nver really thought about it before.

Who handles the purchase of the actual stock? A bank?, if this is waaaay back in the thread, well, i guess i'll reread...

Sorry for not being clear, my brain's weird.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
YES -- this is only one day.... and that's not my point. My point is -- are you truly ready mentally and financially to "gamble".... That's something nobody can answer until they're doing it. Some love it - most people I know don't. Pay attention to your response to yourself... and if nothing else - learn from it.
I agree on this. A few months back I bought shares for a company at $7.60 today they are hovering around at $6. I put $5k, for some it might no be much, but for me it is. Am I about to jump out the window because of it? Nope. I have learned to be patient at this "gambling" hobby.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I guess the Dow, Nikkei, Nasdaq are all just measurement/averageing devices. My question was/is, How is the "Alibaba" traded? i guess the same goes for Sony, Toyota etc...I've nver really thought about it before.

Who handles the purchase of the actual stock? A bank?, if this is waaaay back in the thread, well, i guess i'll reread...

Alibaba is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. It is traded just like any other stock listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The Nikkei is an index which is made up of top 225 Japanese Stocks on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I guess the Dow, Nikkei, Nasdaq are all just measurement/averaging devices. My question was/is, How is the "Alibaba" traded? i guess the same goes for Sony, Toyota etc...I've never really thought about it before.

The DOW -- is a "weighted average" of 30 stocks... each having a divisor assigned to it's stock that accounts for when stocks pay dividends or splits etc.

The Nikkei is the Japanese stock market - Actually called the Tokyo Stock Exchange - and is their "average" similar to our DOW.

The NASDAQ is ONE stock market here - the other is the NYSE aka: The New York Stock Exchange.

It used to be that the NASDAQ was electronically handled trades -- and the NYSE was actual people or "Designated Market Makers" and "Floor Brokers" that were on the floor handling trades... Now days there are fewer seats on the NYSE and many of the trades are done electronically - but there are still Market Makers... and Floor Brokers that represent the members on the floor. There are also what's known as Liquidity Providers that are members of the NYSE... and now you're getting complicated.

Your actual "trade" is handled by a "cleaning house" much the way a bank clears a check. The biggest I think is known as ICE (Intercontinental Exchange) - which owns the NYSE and the Euronext. You place your trade via a brokerage which is really much like a bank -- it has your money... the trade is either done electronically or via a market maker -- and then the actual paperwork behind the scenes is handled by a cleaning house.

NO MATTER WHAT though -- YOU own the share you buy. Even if the exchange was blown up (god forbid) or your brokerage went broke (hope that's not why they're called BROKErages). The shares are yours not anyone else's. The big boys are just facilitators.

Last edited by GregWeld; 09-23-2014 at 09:09 PM.