Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Are you sure that's how it was mounted? Also, the double sided tape can easily be bonded well enough to radically change the forces applied to the helmet. Take 3M's outdoor double sided tape, the stuff with the red backing, it's ridiculously strong. Plenty of motorcycle riders talk about the drag the camera causes, too. It's very easy to understand how the camera could cause extra damage to the helmet depending on how it is installed/attached. If the helmet fails, then his head is virtually unprotected.
I think they might be saying that instead of allowing a patch of the surface area of the helmet to take the impact (and flex accordingly), the gopro might have concentrated the load into a smaller patch or point, and caused higher stress on the helmet therefore causing it to crack
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

seems the journalist is now trying back track his statement a bit now.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...macher-reports
Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
I think they might be saying that instead of allowing a patch of the surface area of the helmet to take the impact (and flex accordingly), the gopro might have concentrated the load into a smaller patch or point, and caused higher stress on the helmet therefore causing it to crack
Quite possible as well. I honestly haven't looked into the situation at all. I just can easily see how getting in any accident with a camera mounted to a helmet can cause serious, unexpected injuries.

As for the topic at hand, my oil stuff is getting killed! The time to buy again is soon IMO. Weeeeeeeee fun times.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Quite possible as well. I honestly haven't looked into the situation at all. I just can easily see how getting in any accident with a camera mounted to a helmet can cause serious, unexpected injuries.

As for the topic at hand, my oil stuff is getting killed! The time to buy again is soon IMO. Weeeeeeeee fun times.

I think this is the first time for many readers where the market is probably spooking them. This is a good thing -- it's a good test for how people will react. We've had 3 or so years where the market has basically gone up day after day. Now we may be entering a new territory for "the newbs". Of course - nobody needs to report how they're feeling etc or what they're doing - unless they'd just like to... but let me say - it's okay to be afraid. It's okay to question what you're doing.

This is the time when you go back and review the longer term charts -- and to really understand what I've been saying about buying the best stuff and understanding the businesses you've bought.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 PM

I'll worry about timing the market in 25-30 years. I see every month as an opportunity to buy much lower than I'll cash out.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 PM

My brother (whose a CFO of a large company) told me once, "its not timing the market, its time in the market". I like that one. I'm learning alot here lately.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'll worry about timing the market in 25-30 years. I see every month as an opportunity to buy much lower than I'll cash out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
My brother (whose a CFO of a large company) told me once, "its not timing the market, its time in the market". I like that one. I'm learning alot here lately.

Having a longer term horizon is probably the single most helpful "tool" a guy can have when he's investing. The day to day view will just drive you nuts.

Currently -- I think the biggest problem facing the WORLD economies are the very same things that haunt most individuals. They've spent way more than they can pay for. Eventually that will come home to bite people - whether they're an individual or a government (which is just a collective of wallets).
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks Greg.

I used your limit order strategy to pick up more shares in three of my existing positions at pretty good bargains IMHO this morning while I was on my way to work.

Time to go do some more shopping.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I think this is the first time for many readers where the market is probably spooking them. This is a good thing -- it's a good test for how people will react. We've had 3 or so years where the market has basically gone up day after day. Now we may be entering a new territory for "the newbs". Of course - nobody needs to report how they're feeling etc or what they're doing - unless they'd just like to... but let me say - it's okay to be afraid. It's okay to question what you're doing.

This is the time when you go back and review the longer term charts -- and to really understand what I've been saying about buying the best stuff and understanding the businesses you've bought.
Yep,

I think everything I have is red except for 1 name I own in the financials sector...

it feels bad man, haha

But I am pretty confident in the stuff I bought, just everything seems to be dropping, I keep trying to channel my inner GregWeld and say "look at the 5 year chart, look at the dividends" haha
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM

One beautiful thing that has happened in the last few days as a result of this pullback is the plummeting of mortgage rates.

I just rate locked this morning at 4.25% on a NON owner occupant 4 plex. The rate I was looking at just last Friday was 4.625%. And I was okay with that. But that's a huge spread in just 2-3 days. And that's a lot of fixed savings over 2-3 decades.

Basically, I just got lucky.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer