Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
One beautiful thing that has happened in the last few days as a result of this pullback is the plummeting of mortgage rates.

I just rate locked this morning at 4.25% on a NON owner occupant 4 plex. The rate I was looking at just last Friday was 4.625%. And I was okay with that. But that's a huge spread in just 2-3 days. And that's a lot of fixed savings over 2-3 decades.

Basically, I just got lucky.
Yep, true that, last week I was quoted a 4.0 for my personal home and today at 3.8750 %
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
One beautiful thing that has happened in the last few days as a result of this pullback is the plummeting of mortgage rates.

I just rate locked this morning at 4.25% on a NON owner occupant 4 plex. The rate I was looking at just last Friday was 4.625%. And I was okay with that. But that's a huge spread in just 2-3 days. And that's a lot of fixed savings over 2-3 decades.

Basically, I just got lucky.
Sweet....Get the payments on auto draft with extra principal to get that baby free and clear in 15. Otherwise, you'll blow it on diapers and car warehousing. hahahaha
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm a little uneasy with the pull back that's occurring as well. Mainly because I'm just not sure what to do with a couple stocks. KMP is a big one that I'm really not sure if I should pick up more shares in it knowing that it is going to be bought soon. I won't be getting rid of any of my shares but should I buy any more? I honestly don't know how to approach it since it will be rolled into KMI soon. This one may be beyond the scope of Investing 102 though.

OXY is going to suck for a while longer simple as that really. I'll add some more there I do believe and just ride it out. If I owned any of the other big oil companies I'd be doing the same thing.

My last oil stock is an MLP as well. It was and still is a gamble so there's not a lot of money invested there. It is so cheap that I really think I should spend some more on it and just see what happens. The dividend is well over 10% now because of the price drop. So yeah, decisions decisions. I'm glad I'm in this for the long run.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
Yep,

I think everything I have is red except for 1 name I own in the financials sector...

it feels bad man, haha

But I am pretty confident in the stuff I bought, just everything seems to be dropping, I keep trying to channel my inner GregWeld and say "look at the 5 year chart, look at the dividends" haha

Trust me ---- everyone does the same thing no matter when they got started. At some point you're going to be dripping red ink. But you actually only LOSE the money if you sell!!! You don't sell --- you collect dividends --- and if you have extra dough - you but and bring your average down. Just don't get greedy.

Think about a guy that bought shares in 1935 --- or 1950 --- or 1986 or 1996! We are far higher today than at any of those points (just random numbers I typed). At each and every one of those points - they were most likely talking about how over valued the market was... or their houses.... or whatever else they'd bought -- like the nickel loaf of bread.

When I was a kid -- McDonalds sold you a burger and a coke --- 25 CENTS for both items! We thought it was ridiculous..... You only got 50 cents for raking old lady Smiths entire yard of fall leaves.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM

Trey -- I'm a little pooped after driving the semi 600 miles today. But I wanted to respond.

First thing people need to remember -- YOU NEVER HAVE TO BE IN A RUSH TO BUY.

Playing KMP is now what's called "arbitrage". In other words -- you need to do the calculations for what KMI stock is going to be -- because you're going to get "X" KMI shares PLUS CASH - for each KMP share.

I sold KMP (posted it up here) at high prices --- and it's come down a lot since -- but I bought KMI.... I took a hit in the dividend percentage (for now) but I had a huge cash gain in the KMP.....

RIGHT NOW - OIL SUCKS..... people are freaked out - hell - entire countries are freaking out. IMHO that's when you buy. We all know oil is a requirement for daily life. It might be on sale now - but everyone will figure out how to get it back up. It's too important to too many governments.

Just don't get greedy -- you'll feel better if it goes lower -- and of course - when things snap back you'll kick yourself for being such a wimp! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I'm a little uneasy with the pull back that's occurring as well. Mainly because I'm just not sure what to do with a couple stocks. KMP is a big one that I'm really not sure if I should pick up more shares in it knowing that it is going to be bought soon. I won't be getting rid of any of my shares but should I buy any more? I honestly don't know how to approach it since it will be rolled into KMI soon. This one may be beyond the scope of Investing 102 though.

OXY is going to suck for a while longer simple as that really. I'll add some more there I do believe and just ride it out. If I owned any of the other big oil companies I'd be doing the same thing.

My last oil stock is an MLP as well. It was and still is a gamble so there's not a lot of money invested there. It is so cheap that I really think I should spend some more on it and just see what happens. The dividend is well over 10% now because of the price drop. So yeah, decisions decisions. I'm glad I'm in this for the long run.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 PM

GORDON..... as a borrower you suck. Nice score on the 4 plex!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Some good advice I read once on whether to hold onto a stock that has declined or not:

Regardless of what you paid for it, if you would be a buyer at the current price you keep it. If you would not be a buyer at the current price, then you sell it.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 10-16-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Sweet....Get the payments on auto draft with extra principal to get that baby free and clear in 15. Otherwise, you'll blow it on diapers and car warehousing. hahahaha
That would be nice if the building wasn't 108 years old (literally) and needing a tad bit of work. More upside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
GORDON..... as a borrower you suck. Nice score on the 4 plex!!!
Thanks. Let's hope it just stays upright for awhile. Kinda like you.

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Playing KMP is now what's called "arbitrage". In other words -- you need to do the calculations for what KMI stock is going to be -- because you're going to get "X" KMI shares PLUS CASH - for each KMP share.
This is why I think I'll just let it ride. I don't think I want to get into crunching the numbers to figure out if it's a good deal or not or at what price that changes. I have the shares now, they are earning a dividend, and I'll be rolled into another great company soon. If the sale of KMP wasn't already known, I'd be all over buying more though. Otherwise, things are peachy as far a I'm concerned. Thanks Greg.

Erik, I think that's a decent way to look a stock choice.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Here's a better way to look at a stock that is falling --- or a "market" which is falling.

If you loved the stock at 100 -- then you should love it at 80...

Here's why I don't play in the "priced for perfection" stocks. It's a given that not all of them blow up.... many go on to make people small fortunes...but when they blow up - they blow up.

You guys check out NETFLIX (NFLX) today..... DOWN 100+ ---- That's in ONE DAY. I can't personally stomach stuff like that.

BTW -- Yesterday while the market was taking a drubbing.... the account I use for sharing info on here was UP. It's also UP this morning. That's what I love, and can live with.

Last edited by GregWeld; 10-16-2014 at 09:07 AM.