Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
Just got my first 2 dividend payments this week.

Feels pretty good.

Thanks everybody!
Congrats!!!

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Congrats!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Woot! Congrats Captain!
Thanks!

it was only like 50 bucks, BUT its 50 bucks I didnt have before
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's exactly the attitude to have.

Case in point, my shares in OXY. It's an oil stock so it's down. I unfortunately bought at a record high a couple years ago so I'm perpetually down for now. However, I go into my cost basis where it lists all transactions, and I just sit back and look at all the free money I was given for being invested with them. It's not a lot but it adds up. It has really helped soften the current down trend.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
That's exactly the attitude to have.

Case in point, my shares in OXY. It's an oil stock so it's down. I unfortunately bought at a record high a couple years ago so I'm perpetually down for now. However, I go into my cost basis where it lists all transactions, and I just sit back and look at all the free money I was given for being invested with them. It's not a lot but it adds up. It has really helped soften the current down trend.

So besides the dividend you have earned over the last couple years. Seems like you can hold on and save your money and continue to purcahse more shares and consider them on sale? Correct me if I am wrong but that seems to be a main point I have taken from this discussion. Understand why you have the stock and when it go on sale purchase more?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:33 AM

Hi Greg / Others,

Sears announced it is going to offer 200 to 300 stores for sale to a REIT to raise cash, and lease them back. Any insights on what this can signal for a company that uses this strategy?

My thoughts are unchanged after the announcement: they cannot survive with the current business model. They raise one-time cash, so what...now their ongoing expenses are higher. Assets are to be bought and held, like we do... not sold.

1968 Camaro: "TRACKDAY"

Build In Progress: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10706
Old 11-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
So besides the dividend you have earned over the last couple years. Seems like you can hold on and save your money and continue to purcahse more shares and consider them on sale? Correct me if I am wrong but that seems to be a main point I have taken from this discussion. Understand why you have the stock and when it go on sale purchase more?
thats what I gather, buy more for the long.

As soon as OPEC reduces output, prices should come back or if another war breaks out.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 11-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSOILGUY View Post
Correct. If you pull up the 10 year chart on OXY, you'll see it looks great. If you do research on OXY, you'll see they are a solid company with a great history of paying a dividend and being managed properly. They are very big too. They just aren't as well known as the others because they don't have gas stations. They are down right now because of industry wide issues not something they have done. Nothing at OXY has changed to cause the price drop. So over the long run, I have no doubt they will do just fine and I'll make money. Right now would be a great time for me to buy because shares are much cheaper, ie on sale, compared to what my average cost basis is for all the shares I currently own.

For my particular situation, my intent at this point though is to simply wait until the beginning of next year when I go to make my next Roth payment. OXY is in my Roth account, and I've already maxed my contribution for 2014. If I had it in my regular brokerage account, I would have been buying more already.

One other good thing about OXY being down, or any dividend stock you're in, is that your dividend payment buys more. Remember, it's on sale. So OXY pays me for owning them, I get a larger chunk of shares with each payment they give me since the stock is on sale, and when the price goes up I make that much more on the free money they gave me for owning them.

Did that answer your questions?

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Last edited by WSSix; 11-07-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
Hi Greg / Others,

Sears announced it is going to offer 200 to 300 stores for sale to a REIT to raise cash, and lease them back. Any insights on what this can signal for a company that uses this strategy?

My thoughts are unchanged after the announcement: they cannot survive with the current business model. They raise one-time cash, so what...now their ongoing expenses are higher. Assets are to be bought and held, like we do... not sold.
To me this is the same thing as someone taking out a home equity line of credit because they need money.

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 PM

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
To me this is the same thing as someone taking out a home equity line of credit because they need money.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. The retail world has changed... and Sears didn't - hasn't - or couldn't. IDK and really don't care because to me the store ceased to exist about 25 years ago. I wouldn't bet against them - but I wouldn't invest in this name either because it has just about nothing a guy wants in an investment. A dying business... in an overcrowded retail space... with virtually no hope of regaining it's luster. Buy / invest in businesses that are solid and not on the cusp of having a bankruptcy auction.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Is anybody on here investing in 3D printing? Has this been talked about? I see lots of this being talked about in the news. I can't remember where or when but sometime this year I believe the first 3D car was printed. Whos leading the way in this technology?