Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 AM

that rear suspension is technically called a 4 bar not a 4 link, and as you can see it is setup already with poly albeit non-articulating bushings. Several companies still sell that setup as "street". I don't think you will have a particular problem with binding in normal street driving. Its not as ideal for cornering as other setups in terms of performance, but I don't think you necessarily need to re-think the setup or bushings, although Jonny joints probably would free it up.

Other than the geometry of the IC and stuff, eg from a binding perspective, how different really is it from the DSE style 4 link that for example Stielow uses, the only difference I know about is they (DSE) use some big compliant rubber bushings that flex just a bit more than these poly bushings.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
that rear suspension is technically called a 4 bar not a 4 link, and as you can see it is setup already with poly albeit non-articulating bushings. Several companies still sell that setup as "street". I don't think you will have a particular problem with binding in normal street driving. Its not as ideal for cornering as other setups in terms of performance, but I don't think you necessarily need to re-think the setup or bushings, although Jonny joints probably would free it up.

Other than the geometry of the IC and stuff, eg from a binding perspective, how different really is it from the DSE style 4 link that for example Stielow uses, the only difference I know about is they (DSE) use some big compliant rubber bushings that flex just a bit more than these poly bushings.

I just don't even know how to respond to these thoughts. Do you really "think" that a 4 bar wouldn't experience bind in corners - and that it's similar to a triangulated 4 bar.... and that DSE sells anything like this.

You do realize that the DSE Quadralink uses a swiveling bar system (on all 4 bars used) in an effort to become non-binding as the car rolls?
Old 12-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Of course it experiences bind in the corners.
But thousands of these systems have been built and sold - is it significantly different from the GM angled 4 bar or the Mustang Fox 4 bar ? Those systems depend on bushing and arm flex to handle the bind. One reason the 4 bar with poly bushings is problematic is because it does not allow as much freedom of movement.

I was not aware that the DSE system uses swiveling bushings. Every picture I have seen of the quadra link they look like bigger rubber bushed rod end style or impregnated rubber bushings. I just went over there and looked - I was not aware of their swivel link system. Interesting solution and I stand corrected on that. But I am looking at the 2005 Build Book for the Joe Rogan 1970 Cuda that uses a DSE 4 link that clearly is not using swivel links, for the reasons you stated they have moved on from that.

That doesn't obviate my main point that 4 bar systems with closely spaced links and joints that allow some flex have been used in thousands of street rod,oem, and aftermarket suspensions.

Where people get into trouble is with rod ends at all 4 links, especially with stiff tubular links and especially with true drag racing 4 links with large non-parallel link paths.

Wasn't looking to get into a tiff over it, just reassuring Ricochet its not gonna be a disaster just to turn corners on his street car.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Of course it experiences bind in the corners.
But thousands of these systems have been built and sold - is it significantly different from the GM angled 4 bar or the Mustang Fox 4 bar ? Those systems depend on bushing and arm flex to handle the bind. One reason the 4 bar with poly bushings is problematic is because it does not allow as much freedom of movement.

I was not aware that the DSE system uses swiveling bushings. Every picture I have seen of the quadra link they look like bigger rubber bushed rod end style or impregnated rubber bushings. I just went over there and looked - I was not aware of their swivel link system. Interesting solution and I stand corrected on that. But I am looking at the 2005 Build Book for the Joe Rogan 1970 Cuda that uses a DSE 4 link that clearly is not using swivel links, for the reasons you stated they have moved on from that.

That doesn't obviate my main point that 4 bar systems with closely spaced links and joints that allow some flex have been used in thousands of street rod,oem, and aftermarket suspensions.

Where people get into trouble is with rod ends at all 4 links, especially with stiff tubular links and especially with true drag racing 4 links with large non-parallel link paths.

Wasn't looking to get into a tiff over it, just reassuring Ricochet its not gonna be a disaster just to turn corners on his street car.

Totally agree Preston -- and the car will be just fine to drive. My point was more that this is a "pro touring" website and maybe Brent was looking to join the fun on the AutoX course or Road race course. The suspensions we see today are pretty spectacular compared to what was available 10 years ago....

I really wasn't trying to get him to change it etc -- I was more just surprised to see that type of suspension "here".

Regardless - the build is spectacular!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 PM

Thanks for input Preston and Greg!! I know the suspension is outdated in comparison to what's out there today. And although I don't plan on tracking this car on a regular basis, I do plan on having some fun with it. As I mentioned, I had already planned on changing out 4 of the ends to Johnny Joints, or have 4 swivel link bars made by DSE to make it better than it is. At the end of the day I just want it to be a nice garage built car the will perform as good as it can, but more than anything be a blast to drive!

Thanks again for the kind words Greg! I can finally see the light!!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hilliard View Post
Great job Brent! Where did you get the AN brake fittings? I'm always looking for multiple sources.
Jay, I bought all of stuff through Pure Choice Motorsports. They are out of Arizona.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Nice to see it's ready to go. Looking forward to seeing when it comes time for the swap.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 12-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The only thing I would "question" is the T placement for the rear brakes. I wonder if this placement wouldn't cause a slight engagement bias to the passenger caliper before fluid is pushed across to the driver side. These t's are normally centered in the car... IDK -- but I'd look into it.
Brake lines transmit pressure, not fluid. The location of the "T" fitting really does not affect anything. Just look at your front brake lines as an example. The distance from the MC to the calipers is never the same from left to right.

Gustave
Old 12-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Nice to see it's ready to go. Looking forward to seeing when it comes time for the swap.

Agree...that will be a huge milestone for both of us!!!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
Brake lines transmit pressure, not fluid. The location of the "T" fitting really does not affect anything. Just look at your front brake lines as an example. The distance from the MC to the calipers is never the same from left to right.

Gustave
That's about as wrong as can be.