Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

I read with interest a couple days ago that BOEING (BA) was going to lay off 8,000 workers.... I thought (immediately) OH OH! I don't own the stock - it's generally (in my mind) a boom or bust industry - although less so now that there's really only the two players.

So just because I was reminded of it by another article - I looked up Boeing. Just as I had thought might be the case - the stock is down Year to Date - and for the "year" (last 12 months). So - as I usually do -- I stretched that chart out to 5 years -- WOW! Up 70+ %.... so down 8% this year now doesn't look so bad.... so out to 10 years I went -- WOW! Up 60+ %...... and it pays a real decent dividend....so out I went to "ALL" -- it's ONLY up 7000+%

LOL

Just using this as another example of what you "think" and what you "KNOW". Usually a big difference. No I'm not buying BA or even recommending it - what I am saying is that a little actual research goes a long way....
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm still around too! LOL.

I check the thread every day or two for new posts, but don't have much to offer in added value on top of what we got. Unless some new players come in and start asking questions.

Overall, I'm very happy with what I've learned and put in place from here. It's done well, and I'm continuing to grow that nest egg!

I did drop in a few new names in the bucket in Feb. We'll see how they play out. Was in some industries I wasn't in yet.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Tesla (TSLA)

Interesting discussion on Tesla (TSLA) this morning on CNBC. They just had LINES to put down money on their newest offering! That was when I first bought Apple (AAPL) way back when (long since sold) because the stores had lines out the door! Always a good sign right? I mean - WTF - People standing in line to buy your stuff should spell big $$$ and profits.

However.... As the talking heads pointed out. There is a big difference between loving a product, or business.... and loving THE STOCK. This particular stock is priced at a point that values every car they build at 1 million dollars! Holy WOW!

However... there are MORE BUYERS than sellers for the shares! As this morning they're up quite nicely simply based on the lines out the door. They LOOSE money on every car they build (now). So what people are buying is the future. The future is unknown, but apparently people feel that eventually the stock will be worth more than they paid. Will that play out well? Who knows. It has to fall in the gambling category in my humble opinion. So did FaceBook - Amazon - Microsoft (back in the day) and even Apple was a big gamble when they first roared back to life from the dead.

It's so interesting. What to do? Play a little? Or just watch? Danged if I know! Some times investing is just emotional - we don't want to be the only guy that didn't make money on something.... damn the torpedos! I always find that owning something like this is so gut wrenching - because its moves are usually violent. One days news has it soaring - the next day it drops like a rock. It's 52 week range? $141 to $286 !! That is a serious rollercoaster! Can you stomach $50 drops? It's such an interesting problem isn't it? Personally? I think it's the future. What worries me as an investor is, is there some other larger company that comes out with a Tesla beater... or do they just stand by and let them build the market? Think about Amazon and Microsoft in their infancy. Amazon was virtually unimpeded in building out it retail store crusher! Now all the big box stores are so far behind they can't possibly catch up. We all buy stuff on Amazon! IBM gave up on personal computers and handed that whole technology to Microsoft... and the rest is history. So is this what Tesla is doing?

Last edited by GregWeld; 04-01-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Default Tesla (TSLA)

I found this article after that last post.... Interesting information in it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...-test-38080836
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Article I found interesting on stock brokers, financial advisors, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/finan...-heres-robbins

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 04-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
Article I found interesting on stock brokers, financial advisors, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/finan...-heres-robbins

Great article.... and I have discussed this many times in the past. That people THINK their mutual fund has no fees or that some broker has their best interest in mind. Poppycock!

There's nobody that is inhaling and exhaling - that can't do quite well doing all of this on their own. The key is nothing more than a basic understanding.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Bottom line, people are looking for the path of least resistance, the easy way out. This is one of the worst times to put your head in the sand. Do you research, take responsibility, work on your debt aggressively, which will allow you to allocate more for investment.

I think debt is an under utilized topic in this thread. The more money you piss down the hole, the less you have to create your future. 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

My goal is to be debt free by Fall. Owe NOTHING on the house, land, cars, boat, credit cards, student loans, NOTHING. It's looking promising.

This creates freedom to spend time with your family and pursuing new interests, it also creates the opportunity to INVEST LIKE CRAZY. That will turn into wealth that will engender a legacy for you family and allow you to GIVE to those in need.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Bottom line, people are looking for the path of least resistance, the easy way out. This is one of the worst times to put your head in the sand. Do you research, take responsibility, work on your debt aggressively, which will allow you to allocate more for investment.

I think debt is an under utilized topic in this thread. The more money you piss down the hole, the less you have to create your future. 70% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

My goal is to be debt free by Fall. Owe NOTHING on the house, land, cars, boat, credit cards, student loans, NOTHING. It's looking promising.

This creates freedom to spend time with your family and pursuing new interests, it also creates the opportunity to INVEST LIKE CRAZY. That will turn into wealth that will engender a legacy for you family and allow you to GIVE to those in need.

Americans need to learn a very important adage:

"You can not spend your way to wealth"
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
There's nobody that is inhaling and exhaling - that can't do quite well doing all of this on their own. The key is nothing more than a basic understanding.
I tried explaining this at my last shop steward meeting when a couple knuckleheads wanted to put ANOTHER .20 in one of our pensions. I was told that most members weren't as savvy with their money as me and that I needed to think of the group as a whole.....that's more than Poppycock! The meeting ended with me suggesting that people were either ignorant or lazy if they didn't at least look into what their money is NOT doing for them.

The bad, .20 went to the pension
The good, discussions have started about a financial course for 2nd year apprentices explaining the three pensions and other ways of investing.

I don't say much in this thread but I'm reading and rereading it constantly....thank you.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm trying to get my employees (coworkers really) to do a Roth IRA, their companies pension, SSI, and individual savings. Cant spend more than what you make, related to that, my dad always said "its not what you make, (at work), its what you keep". I partially agree with that,but its hard to keep anything when the cost of living (bare essentials) is more than you make . Either move or get a better job or better education or work more!!!

Bottom line, dont work too much, dont work too little, but PAY ATTENTION (my #1 problem lol)