Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Having built MANY complete cars on my own -- what really amazes me about this thread - if you go back to page one -- how many guys are not here anymore… And I don't mean they died -- but where are they - why aren't they posting - and did they ever complete the build??

It's real easy to get "burned out" building these cars in a two car garage with inadequate tools or skills - or both… not to mention the costs of just hard parts.
I totally agree. It will be 9 years for me on jan 1st and I wanted to sell it many times. Im nearing the end but it has been a very difficult long road!!!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
It's real easy to get "burned out" building these cars in a two car garage with inadequate tools or skills - or both… not to mention the costs of just hard parts.
No doubt, and that's a shame. I think a lot of people start with good intentions but no idea of just how much $$$, time, and tools are needed to build a car. I would imagine that often the spouses have even less idea of what is needed! lol

"Liquidating excess cash through the automotive hobby!"
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 AM

That's why I will always "buy the body, build the drivetrain"...

I try hard to recognize my limitations and avoid them. Bodywork is one of those. Plus it also seems to be one of the tasks that takes the longest and costs the most money.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 AM

So how about making this an "OFFICIAL CALL OUT" ?

I'm thinking, If you've posted about your project on here, you still have the car, and if you're just stopped by life or whatever got in the way.... Just give us a sign of your progress or why you are on a brake or if you simply jumped ship 'cause it was (insert reason that apply's) .

What do you think?

Personnally, i sold my project once it was done as i had a guy that WANTED it... ( read : i could not turn is money away! ) and have had a few projects in and out since. I now have an almost all original carthat i enjoy driving.
I also have a basket case project i am looking to start sometime....

Having built a few nut and bolt cars (rotisserie/ show style) i have bought my last car mentionned above (the one i drive) and have a hard time even thinking to change some stuff on it because i know i can undo it, but with 3 little girls (5,9 and 11) i just dont have the time anymore and also, my primary budget is to the house and kids needs so the cars come wayyyyy late in the picture so, I NEVER KNOW WHEN ID GET IT BACK TOGETHER, thats why i keep it all together, that way i enjoy it and so can they. I will prolly do some bolt ons (bars, arms, shocks) but nothing too wild on this one (42k miles 69 Camaro 100% original except fast ratio box and wheels /tires) the other is a 67 Camaro in need of everything and i dont need it running as i have the other one...so im THINKING i could start her slowly, but then the money factor comes in....altough im thinking to do a build style like Ron's Blue mustand and go full frame, i could put time in instead of money. Im at home all the time now (got invalidated from work inciden so i have pretty much all my time) but then its cause of my back....so theres your other factor HEALTH!!

Im just trying to sum up all the variables you can come to think of as to anwser your wondering of "why or where" are the guys..... I have covered a few possibilities just by myself LOL!!!! So....how about you guy's??

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 12-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM

I know for me I started my build thread in July of 2010. Since then I have had a MAJOR eye injury and built a pole barn. Interesting that I actually have an appointment with the eye doctor today (just a followup).

The wife and discovered early on that building my car in our two car garage was NOT going to work so well so we built a 40x64 barn for me to work in. You might be asking yourself how I went from a 2 car garage to a 40x64, well all I can tell you is when the wife tells you "I don't think you'll be happy with a 30x40 I think we should build a 40x60 you DON'T SAY NO! Of course now we are busy paying the barn off (should have it paid off by May of '14). We had about 1/2 the funds to build it or so we thought but then like most project we spent more than planned! Surprising I know!

So now that the barn is done enough to work in I have no real money to invest in the car. I have been doing some work here and there but progress is slow. I rather enjoy working on it as I don't get to work with my hands at work much anymore. I would like to say she'll be done in 3-5 years but I'll leave the timing up to God on that one. Currently my goal is to have the shell ready for the chassis by next winter. We'll see.

Well that's my story I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Chris
Old 12-16-2013, 02:47 PM

I'm building mine at home. I kept waiting and waiting; hoping I'd have enough money to do a '69 Camaro some day. Then, this year, I finally realized that if I don't bite the bullet, I'll never do it. There are so many people that dream about things for years and then never get around to it or something happens to them. I decided I don't want to be one of those guys and if it makes me happy, I'm just going to do it!

So, I sold my 2009 Subaru daily driver and used the funds to purchase a Camaro and the engine/transmission out of a 2004 GTO. Now I'm stuck driving my 1959 Willys truck to work as it's my only other vehicle but the heck with it. I'm doing it. Some of my friends and family think I'm crazy but at least I won't regret not having tried it.

I have been slowly preparing for this as far as tooling up my shop the last few years though and bought myself a 2 post lift this year.

This picture tells most of the story. My old Willys with Wisconsin winter road grime all over it and the GTO pull-out in it. Does that make this a modern vehicle? I mean, technically it has a fuel injected engine "in" it.

Name:  willys-gto.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  73.9 KB

Here is the Camaro waiting for it's new heart.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  79.0 KB

I'm hoping to get it running in time for spring but funds are more of an issue than time for me. I'm going to drive it this summer (hopefully) and then tackle the suspension next winter. I'm hoping to do a better paint job and body work the year after that.

Here's one more of the Willys which I did with my uncle as a project back in High school in '95.

It now has a carbed vortech 350 in it which we slapped in this spring.

Name:  willysfront.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  72.5 KB
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 12-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Your "STUCK" driving your willys!!!!!

Man! I 've been watching a 64 Pontiac Safari wagon here close to me at an old car dealer thats sooooo nice, i want to sell my Suburban to drive this every day....if only i would have the guts. My hat off to you sir!!

And that Camaro does look very nice already so you have your cake already as you get to enjoy it right awayw... Good move!!!

You mentionned high school in 95 so we are about same age i guess, i just turned 41. It would be nice if guys put their candle count so we get a 'curve' of the age and situation of members behind these stories.

Btw... I got a 4 post lift this summer too... Tools are a BIG part of the home builder as i see it. Forking 2500$ out to buy a piece of equipment is a chunk of change we notice. At least i do!!! Last year, my wife got me the Eastwood company's Tig and plasma deal with cart.... One more step in getting a fully equipped shop!!!

Ah man....there i am thinking of the wagon again...thanks buddy!!!

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 12-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot1 View Post
Tools are a BIG part of the home builder as i see it. Forking 2500$ out to buy a piece of equipment is a chunk of change we notice. At least i do!!! Last year, my wife got me the Eastwood company's Tig and plasma deal with cart.... One more step in getting a fully equipped shop!!!
Lead.
I hear ya on that! We bought me a used Bridgeport (10x54 table) and a used 14x40 engine lathe while we were building the barn. On the plus side I can make just about anything I need on the downside my wallet is about $3800 lighter (including the shinny new phase converter to run the lathe)!

I have already done a couple little side jobs to help offset the investment but not even close to $3800!

Chris
Old 12-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot1 View Post
Your "STUCK" driving your willys!!!!!

Man! I 've been watching a 64 Pontiac Safari wagon here close to me at an old car dealer thats sooooo nice, i want to sell my Suburban to drive this every day....if only i would have the guts. My hat off to you sir!!

And that Camaro does look very nice already so you have your cake already as you get to enjoy it right awayw... Good move!!!

You mentionned high school in 95 so we are about same age i guess, i just turned 41. It would be nice if guys put their candle count so we get a 'curve' of the age and situation of members behind these stories.

Btw... I got a 4 post lift this summer too... Tools are a BIG part of the home builder as i see it. Forking 2500$ out to buy a piece of equipment is a chunk of change we notice. At least i do!!! Last year, my wife got me the Eastwood company's Tig and plasma deal with cart.... One more step in getting a fully equipped shop!!!

Ah man....there i am thinking of the wagon again...thanks buddy!!!

Lead.
Now, don't get me wrong. I love driving my Willys in reasonable doses. I does leave a bit to be desired as far as comfort however. It rides like a lumber wagon (unless you have a complete engine and transmission in the bed, then it's a lot closer to comfortable) and it's obnoxiously loud, but that's my fault. It's not too loud inside, in fact, the wind noises, rattles and squeaks are louder than the exhaust but outside....well, let's say that small children start crying when they hear it coming.

I graduated in '97. Actually, the Willys was my first vehicle. I bought it for $250 and then we bought a parts truck for $100 and my uncle and I restored it for my junior year. It's....evolved since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm399 View Post
I hear ya on that! We bought me a used Bridgeport (10x54 table) and a used 14x40 engine lathe while we were building the barn. On the plus side I can make just about anything I need on the downside my wallet is about $3800 lighter (including the shinny new phase converter to run the lathe)!

I have already done a couple little side jobs to help offset the investment but not even close to $3800!

Chris
I'd love to have a lathe and mill. I was a machinist, pattern maker, mold maker and CNC programmer for years and it's still part of my job as a manufacturing engineer to spec what we are going to buy and go and look at new and used equipment. I do more design work than anything these days though. I can always use the tools at work but it's better to have something at home you can just go out and use anytime (and not have to clean up your mess until your damn good and ready)

I don't think it will take you too long to get $3800 worth of value from your equipment. I don't think it will take too long to get $2700 worth out of my lift either.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Thread Dead ?

Was hoping to see some updates on the projects ? Surely there's progress and setbacks ? I know mine is slow since retirement ,,,, wish I had been born rich , or made better choices in education,work,on and on, my grandchildren have changed my priorities. ,! I have said to my friends and family ,I wish I had my $$. Instead of the Nova project,, my how time changes,,, heck I 'm 62 and still enjoy that adrenaline rush ,and the sound of a hot crammed engine,love the G's ! I've got the winter blahs !,