Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Buffett's quote "Never invest in a business you cannot understand" is definitely something to consider if anyone is considering 'investing' in BitCoin....

1968 Camaro SS
Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADY View Post
Buffett's quote "Never invest in a business you cannot understand" is definitely something to consider if anyone is considering 'investing' in BitCoin....

The only "investment" here -- is you hope there's a larger fool out there when you want to sell..... because otherwise there is absolutely ZERO behind any of this except that someone will pay more for whatever "it" is. It's not backed a a single thing - it apparently is up for grabs from hackers... and there's nothing behind the exchanges either apparently.

I like to make money -- but I also LOVE to actually try to be somewhat intelligent about it.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Tesla

I just read that UPS has placed an order for 125 Tesla electric trucks..... Not sure how many they've sold or have orders for now - but it has to be quiet a few now.... WalMart order some... Pepsi.... Anheuser-Busch.... Sysco.... J B Hunt... DHL....

These folks aren't stupid....

Maybe I better pay more attention to this floundering company. My take is that Musk is trying to build too many money losing businesses at once... a battery company - a solar energy company - a space flight company - and a car company that can't make a profit and can't deliver cars on order... but WTH.... he's selling stuff! And investors keep buying the debt.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I just read that UPS has placed an order for 125 Tesla electric trucks..... Not sure how many they've sold or have orders for now - but it has to be quiet a few now.... WalMart order some... Pepsi.... Anheuser-Busch.... Sysco.... J B Hunt... DHL....

These folks aren't stupid....

Maybe I better pay more attention to this floundering company. My take is that Musk is trying to build too many money losing businesses at once... a battery company - a solar energy company - a space flight company - and a car company that can't make a profit and can't deliver cars on order... but WTH.... he's selling stuff! And investors keep buying the debt.
One of my customers is looking to start running electric trucks in his oil transport business. Oh the Irony.

But its going to a real thing in California with all our regulations. And the overall scope of the oil business is already changing in a huge way to get the oil companies out of California while still pumping the oil.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Bitcoin is looking pretty smart.......

LOL

OMG.......
Old 12-22-2017, 10:37 AM

DOH
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 PM

40% in a week. Doesn't sound like investing, sounds more like roulette, wait, thats not fair to roulette
Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Just some "for the way you think" about investing -- or when you're shopping for places to put your money.......

REMEMBER PLEASE!!! I'm not saying buy this or buy that -- I'm using this as an EXAMPLE --- a way to think... it can apply to almost every investment. You can buy Apple -- if you think their business is good - or you can buy one of their suppliers?

Let's pick on Amazon for an "instance"

Amazon is hugely pricey.... dang near $1200 per share (I personally wish they'd split 4 for 1).... and this simple fact closes many investors out. They think - WTF - I can only buy 2 shares with my $2500 deposit this quarter. And they're right!!

But --- start to think about the beneficiaries or ancillary businesses that benefit from THEM....

Box sellars?? Amazon buys a lot of boxes --- way more than retail stores do - they buy bags... Everything Amazon sells gets shipped in a box....

UPS ??

FED-ED??

Oh yeah...... As Amazon grows -- won't these two favored shippers get their fare share?

I just read this:

"Good news for FedEx and UPS: People just opened $90 billion in unwanted gifts".

UNQUOTE: Somebody is paying to ship those back aren't they? UPS and FED-EX get it going both ways? And how much of those returns generate another purchase.... another box.... another shipment....

Think of it like car companies having good sales --- every car/truck comes with 4 tires.... LOL

Merry Xmas you Deplorables
Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Building these cars benefits those guys big time as well. I rarely ship anything out these days, but every time I go to UPS and the fleece me for $20 to ship nothing nowhere, I recall all the money I pissed down the drain shipping car parts. Had to be over 5k just building a car from start to finish. And like you said, all the returns where they get you going and leaving.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Those free returns are not a good thing for any of the parties concerned..except the entity getting the return back themselves. UPS, Fedex and any party involved in getting those returns back into the shipping system ALL loose money on them.

Amazon and the likes hold a gun to Fedex and UPS's head when negotiating new contracts\discounts...include returns for free or next to it or don't get the contract.