Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM

#65....wow...

I must cruise this site 4-10 times a day...its my computer Homepage

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this site..
Old 11-21-2013, 11:51 PM

I remember actually meeting Scott and Jody somewhere back in time! It was either on the power tour, or at Bristol Bash or something a long time ago! They both asked me to come and play over here and I lurked for many years but didn't join till just a few ago. Actually didn't want to have another board to have to steal my time! LoL! But lurked anyway, guess I thought that was different somehow! LoL!

Anyway, good peeps, low drama and high knowledge content! Keep up the good work guys!!
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM

I think I'm number 21. I recall the "old site" when it was quite literally Jody, Scott, Brent. Trush, Stuart and a few others. It was a pot hole compared to the Grand Canyon it is now. I joined up at the old site planning to PT my 69 Camaro. The smaller site started to grow and Scott talked about transitioning to the new software and resigning up. My sign up date is prior to Jody's (somehow) but I didn't make the top ten. No matter, moderating here has been a real adventure. Met some of the finest humans I've ever known right here. The dudes running this place are first class. Well, besides Charlie, he's just "classified".
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
I'm still around and I read what's going on. I just lurk and enjoy.

As many probably know, I stepped back from running the site and site ownership. I was overwhelmed with trying to balance my family, career, and the demands of running this site. I can't begin to explain the volume of hours it takes to maintain every facet of this site. From the SQL, software licensing, hosting problems, server loads, members having technical problems, advertising inquiries, advertising renewals, creating/changing banners, feature cars, drama between members, vendors problems, etc, etc, etc. It's a full time job.

The site was never about me. It was always about the community. I didn't feel the need to make a big announcement when there was a transition of ownership. I stepped back and felt the weight lift. I focused on my family and other things that I love. Primarily photography, but that's another story.

Now as for the history of this site, it goes back a loooooong way. I was one of the original members of PT.com (like #180 or something). It was in it's infancy. The movement didn't even have a common name. Every magazine had a different label for us (and Frieburger hated us). There were constant flame wars about how big the wheels had to be, bitching about two tone paint jobs - all that meaningless stuff.

I finally got fed up one day, and instead of complaining to Larry, I decided to just go do my own thing. By then, I had become good friends with Jody, Jeff and Brent and asked them, hey if I start a website, would you want to hang out? I registered the specific domain name Lateral-g.net on more or less a whim in the early summer of 2004. It had the basic premise of what we were all about (anti pro-street) and it had a G in it - for Gulbranson. lol

I started with phpBB, and freeware message board that at the time was preloaded in most Cpanel webhosting accounts. It just exploded. I think we got up close to 400 members in 4 months. By Thanksgiving of '04, I knew that the phpBB wasn't going to cut it, it was complete garbage. I tried everything to port the SQL database over to vBulletin, but just coudn't make it work. So I pulled the plug and we started over from scratch. Zero members, zero posts. But I'm glad I did it.

As things started rolling along, the membership snowballed, and all of a sudden, the PT movement was THE place to be for magazines and television. Lateral-g.net was mentioned in countless magazines and on TV. It just mushroomed.

We made every effort to make this place a positive place. Talk to each other exactly how we would if I were standing in your garage. I never once had anyone complain to me that we're too civil and down to earth, but got constant feedback on how much people enjoyed the positive, genuine feel of our community.

I'm proud of the team that I assembled that helped guide me grow the site. In the beginning, every one of the Mods that helped me were parents. Once you have kids, life really gets put into perspective. I'm sure everyone that is reading this and has kids knows exactly what I mean. I listened to everyone's thoughts and input and never took a decision to kick anyone off here lightly. I learned to have thick skin. I learned that there are always 3 sides to every story. I learned that there are really great people everywhere - just take a moment and hear their story.

I've had so many adventures around the country because of this site. I've made so many great friends because of this community.
Hail to the Grand Pooh Bah! I remember our converstaion like it was yesterday Scott. Who would have ever thought it would have grown into what it has. The friendships and knowledge I have been fortunate to capture from this site is second to none. We all have this passion (or addiction) for this hobby and it's great to have a place to come share it. Thanks to Scott for creating this & to Jody for keeping it going.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I love this place. Thanks Scott, Jody, and everyone else for making it a great place to hang out.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Looks like I joined on 06-09-05.

Holy cow has this been a fun ride
+1 Me too, I love this place and it's always been my homepage..
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetking View Post
+1 Me too, I love this place and it's always been my homepage..
+2 Still my homepage also since '05...

#1409...oh well.

, Scott and Jody.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 AM

And my lucky number is…...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
And my lucky number is…...
1525... not too shabby
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 AM

Dang I can't believe I've been a member since aug 05. Doesn't seem that long to me