Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Good for you Trey!!

I grew up next to a guy with a red w/ white stripe and interior 70rs and I loved that car! If you are looking to sell I would go red! If you do black interior do black stripes....it will look killer and everyone will appreciate it and want to buy it!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM

I got a bunch of clamps and fixed all the gas lines. I let it run for several minutes and set off a few car alarms lol. It's a pain in the ass to start though, need to adjust the timing, took 3 cars to jump it. This thing is gonna shred those poor 205's in the back lol.. Now I am onto the wiring....
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Car drives now, scared as hell to drive it though. But I moved it to the body work bays, if it stops raining I will start stripping it down maybe tomorrow, most likely Wednesday. The car will be painted black, same as my Trans Am.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM

Nice to see you got it going down the road. Minitubs are overrated. Tuckin' 205's is where it's at. I know you are going step by step, but do you have any ideas for wheels?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Trey,

Good to see you making progress on the 73'...........what wiring were you working on? Should be sharp in black !!

Paul
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude327 View Post
Trey,

Good to see you making progress on the 73'...........what wiring were you working on? Should be sharp in black !!

Paul
Everything lol, nothing works, not even the ignition. I have to turn it off by disconnecting the distributor. I need to at least get the tail lights and head lights working. I ended up breaking the blinker moving the car.

Started stripping it today and I also got my antique plates. All I need is insurance and working tail lights and I have a road legal car.

Anyone think I should sell the 454 and build a sbc or LQ4?

Thinking about getting something like these.. Probably just get some dog dish hubcaps for now lol.. Have a little sleeper.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

I NEVER have an opinion....

#1 -- SLEEPERS are old skool kool... understate and over deliver... dog dish or AKA Poverty Caps -- on rallys are kool... EVERYBODY has billet wheels... and they won't do much for "performance" --- your money would be better spent on GOOD TIRES.

#2 -- A little 454 is better than a big small block... They're more fun down low in the RPM's and can deliver huge torque... which is what is really the fun part of a street motor. HP does nothing (is nothing actually except a math equation)... I'll take bottom end grunt any day. Makes the car way more fun to drive... every time you even touch the throttle. You won't get much for a 454 anyway... and you could probably drive the thing for 2 years with the money you'd save just keeping it - vs the "savings" you might get in gas milage.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

One more "point" -- not a very good one - but a point non the less...

What rear gear ratio does that ol' rat have? Do you know how to check this without opening it up? The ole mark on the ground - mark on the tire - mark on the driveline - spin the tire ONE TIME and have someone count the turns of the driveline...

The right gear in there will really wake that baby right up -- and if you get it right - should also give you decent highway cruising. I'm assuming it has a TH400 tranny.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Yeah, a sleeper would be pretty cool. Gotta figure out how to get 315's on these tiny ass wheels.. The open headers are gonna throw the sleeper thing out the window though haha.

I stripped the whole roof, trunk lid and some of the quarters to bare metal and of course it starting raining, oh well.. Need to re-strip the doors and quarters, haven't got to the fenders yet..

I am getting pretty good at body work, I repaired a fender on a suburban and it came out great. I wanna do as much as I can on this car, shouldn't be too hard and it will save some money in the end.

Last edited by TreySmith; 02-10-2010 at 08:10 PM.