Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Yep! I called Bondurant and left him a message that I'd like a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
The good news is you can't teach drive but you can hope to dial it back a hair.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

My problem usually comes when I'm on the track with nobody in front of me --- then it's harder to judge your speed and I tend to hammer it too hard.
During my very first PDX at Heartland Park Topeka in my Monte, during my second session I had a pretty good instructor who once he figured out I wasn't going to kill him, really started helping me find my way around the track the fast way. There was a local Corvette group out there with us and they were driving us crazy...super slow in the corners then drag racing us down every straight instead of pointing us by.

At one point I finally got past the last one for a while and took off down the back straight... They had the chicane setup that day and as we started to get close to it, the instructor said... "Don't forget to drive here..." I nodded my head and he said "It happens"...

I went in a little bit hot but just had to lift a bit, not loosing the car or anything...but I've never forgot him saying that and every time I've got out in front since, not following (chasing) anyone, his voice comes back to me. "Don't forget to drive here"

Sorry about the damage Greg but glad nobody got hurt.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
During my very first PDX at Heartland Park Topeka in my Monte, during my second session I had a pretty good instructor who once he figured out I wasn't going to kill him, really started helping me find my way around the track the fast way. There was a local Corvette group out there with us and they were driving us crazy...super slow in the corners then drag racing us down every straight instead of pointing us by.

At one point I finally got past the last one for a while and took off down the back straight... They had the chicane setup that day and as we started to get close to it, the instructor said... "Don't forget to drive here..." I nodded my head and he said "It happens"...

I went in a little bit hot but just had to lift a bit, not loosing the car or anything...but I've never forgot him saying that and every time I've got out in front since, not following (chasing) anyone, his voice comes back to me. "Don't forget to drive here"

Sorry about the damage Greg but glad nobody got hurt.

Great advice Lance!

Yes -- the last thing you want to see is your kid or family getting hurt (let alone ANYONE else) when you're supposed to be out having fun. He was sore - but fine. The seat is good -- he was wearing my new carbon fiber helmet so had less head weight.. and was well strapped in.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
The good news is you can't teach drive but you can hope to dial it back a hair.

I gave him the advice that Sieg gave me to tell him --- Just fold "it" in half….

I think he started out that way -- and the yellow group I put him in was pretty jammed up - but as the day went on - the group thinned out -- and I think the first time he had some room to run --- it ended up this way. Trust me when I repeat -- this little car is very quick… it's very deceiving because it's so small…
but with a 63% rear weight bias… that can stack up against a guy real quickly.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Send him the bill, that will knock his ego down a notch.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 AM

I was communicating with Greg the day of the Laguna event. Greg sent me photos of the wreck. I laughed and then asked Greg "Whats the first thing Alex said to you after he wadded the car up?" Alex's answer....Will it buff out?
Gregs response....What turn did you lose talent in?

I was laughing my ass off. What a great line
Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Greg,
What kind of motor is in the lotus? Something with a roots blower?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr View Post
Greg,
What kind of motor is in the lotus? Something with a roots blower?

Lotus uses TOYOTA motors ---- this one is a 2ZZ-GE 1.8 liter motor with a supercharger. It is rated at 252 hp.

It was used - without the supercharger in Corolla T Sport - and Celica GT-S and even the Pontiac Vibe…

When you add the supercharger -- it turns into a nice little motor that revs to the moon. It is completely stock motor - stock valve train etc… and is rev limited to 8500 rpms. The variable cam timing doesn't kick in until 6200 rpms and there's a HUGE difference in available power if you keep the rpms up.

Check out the cam when it goes from just cruising around to "race on" mode -- hahahahaha

Intake Exhaust
Duration Valve lift Duration Valve lift
Low Cam 228° 7.6mm (.299) 228° 7.6mm (.299)
High Cam 292° 11.2mm (.440 lift) 276° 10.0mm (.393)
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
I was communicating with Greg the day of the Laguna event. Greg sent me photos of the wreck. I laughed and then asked Greg "Whats the first thing Alex said to you after he wadded the car up?" Alex's answer....Will it buff out?

GW - I'd consider having Brian save a box of goodies from the repair put them in a big black box labeled Lost Talent and wrap a big bow charcoal and yellow around it for a Christmas present.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post

Damn that's funny.