Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
When I'm showing someone how I invest -- I'll bring up this very fact. People say "well it's gone up a lot! So I can't buy it now - it's up too much"....

REALLY? Pull up a 10 year chart of the company (pick one) and say -- okay -- show me on this chart (as it's doubled or tripled over the last 10 years) when you would have bought... or as YOU'RE telling me -- that it was too high to buy... 'cause what that chart is telling me is that it's still going up and over time it will be higher than where it is right now. (We're not talking "hot stocks" here - were talking about our good long term high dividend payers -- NOT Netflix etc).
Good point. The fear of losing keep them from starting.. Yes, no netflicks, or groupon, ect...

I just don't get it, so i don't invest in it..Sure as it went to the moon, I was wondering about netflicks, but never bought, i could not see it in 10 years, and since i am not in and out, i just stayed out of that, and went with longer term assets..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

It's why it's called INVESTING -- not GAMBLING.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM

This is "investing 102"..... <smiling here>

Altria (MO) is a nasty old "terbacky" company.... I don't smoke -- but the world smokes - china - asia in general - europe... they're all puffers....

I'm using this as an EXAMPLE of why I don't care about the "exogenous" events I was talking about in an earlier post today....

At what point did all the worlds PROBLEMS ( -- (Greek debt - Chinas inflation - USA debt etc - oil too high - oil too low - Iran's idiots rattling their sabers....)affect MY investment???

Total Return
1 Year
+24.7%

3 Year
+102.5%

5 Year
+91.5%
Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This is "investing 102"..... <smiling here>

Altria (MO) is a nasty old "terbacky" company.... I don't smoke -- but the world smokes - china - asia in general - europe... they're all puffers....

I'm using this as an EXAMPLE of why I don't care about the "exogenous" events I was talking about in an earlier post today....

At what point did all the worlds PROBLEMS ( -- (Greek debt - Chinas inflation - USA debt etc - oil too high - oil too low - Iran's idiots rattling their sabers....)affect MY investment???

Total Return
1 Year
+24.7%

3 Year
+102.5%

5 Year
+91.5%

Well Done... That is why I am here...

To learn more than to share... Again I have skills, but I am a Newbie...

And sometimes it shows.. Again I am Investing, and I am coming to find that I am speculating too... And sometimes although I have done good, I could have done GREAT. a wee bit of tail chasing

So back to school I go...
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Pretty amazing huh?? I mean -- all the noise that's on the news -- the world is exploding -- the employment rate has gone crazy - houses are worth ZERO and here's Altria -- UP 91%

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

After buying five dividend stocks in the last couple weeks I glanced (kid duty and late) at the Dow this morning and had a tiny newbie panic attack. Just checked my positions on the 100 block purchases and it's insignificant dollar amount compared to their average 5.1% dividend yield.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Pretty amazing huh?? I mean -- all the noise that's on the news -- the world is exploding -- the employment rate has gone crazy - houses are worth ZERO and here's Altria -- UP 91%

tobacco and alcohol... Great plays... anytime, all over the world... Just even better now..
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
After buying five dividend stocks in the last couple weeks I glanced (kid duty and late) at the Dow this morning and had a tiny newbie panic attack. Just checked my positions on the 100 block purchases and it's insignificant dollar amount compared to their average 5.1% dividend yield.
Boy...The nail just got hit on the head..

It is not about the balance, but the income stream, or for some , the re-invested dividend that will grow over time..

Seig... Great point... That is the noise we should not listen too...

they are like weathermen...they spend the whole damn day talking about up or down, or sideways... They beat the poor horse until he says stop it...

So you are track when you tune out the noise and don't worry about the bouncing ball..

Saw the day coming, everything down but treasuries, and no big deal...

Just another day.

But I am looking to adjust my strategies... Doing good is not doing Great, and i am looking to improve my skills and returns..
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy09 View Post
Boy...The nail just got hit on the head..

It is not about the balance, but the income stream, or for some , the re-invested dividend that will grow over time...

Then I had another panic attack when I checked my last filled order and noticed I forgot to check reinvest dividend.

That's a historic paradigm shift for this kid.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Good Post Sieg!

This is when -- I've said time after time -- after you buy and then when they're down and you're starting to second guess yourself -- go back and just revisit WHY you bought. Look at the 5 or 10 year chart -- check the 5 year total return - check that dividend percentage.... then INHALE and relax... If you did your homework -- and it's a name you know and understand and all those other things are correct... that's the best you can do. Ya bought LAST WEEK -- the little man said take it down - let's test Sieg's guts! Go back and look at the LONG TERM CHART.... low on the left high on the right? Is that time period a week? An hour? Or 5 YEARS. Relax.