Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Wow another GW thread off the rails who would of thought that could happen?

Oh is the Mustang done yet???

The plans have been consolidated into actions. But we still have a month before the 5 mile Nor Cal Shelby Thunderhill event. I had only signed up the Lotus to run because unlike "others" around here - when I say I'm going to an event - I go to the event! This last week I registered the Mustang as well - if that tells ya anything.

It should be a fun weekend - but I'll be busy setting up (actually Ron Sutton will be busy) the Mustang with all her shiny new parts... and learning the 5 mile track configuration.

On top of that - the AiM SmartyCam GP HD camera I'd bought for the Lotus... and all it's sundry parts - turned out to be defective... and had to be uninstalled and sent off to be fixed. So at the same event I'm going to attempt to get it working properly so the videos post up lap times - speedo - tach - G's - and where I am on the track, overlaid.

There! We're back on track (pun?) now.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Morning Greg I love how your projects just keep right on "track" < see what I did there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The plans have been consolidated into actions. But we still have a month before the 5 mile Nor Cal Shelby Thunderhill event. I had only signed up the Lotus to run because unlike "others" around here - when I say I'm going to an event - I go to the event! This last week I registered the Mustang as well - if that tells ya anything.

It should be a fun weekend - but I'll be busy setting up (actually Ron Sutton will be busy) the Mustang with all her shiny new parts... and learning the 5 mile track configuration.

On top of that - the AiM SmartyCam GP HD camera I'd bought for the Lotus... and all it's sundry parts - turned out to be defective... and had to be uninstalled and sent off to be fixed. So at the same event I'm going to attempt to get it working properly so the videos post up lap times - speedo - tach - G's - and where I am on the track, overlaid.

There! We're back on track (pun?) now.

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 09-06-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Morning Greg I love how your projects just keep right on "track" < see what I did there?

Nice work!

Not sure how this went from race car to a shed build... LOL But I derail lots of threads around here myself so don't really care. These threads are no different than hanging out in the shop blabbing. The conversations tend to get off line sometimes. No biggie.

But with your help we hit the apex... we're into the roll thru... and hopefully we're punching it towards the exit onto the straight! <covered everything there!>

The only hangups with the Mustang remodel would be parts not shipping... and I don't think we're running into any issues there so far. I didn't need custom pistons or anything like that in the motor rebuild. The new Carrillo rods weren't a problem (replacing the Olivers). 8 new Formula 43 wheels were spec'd and ordered. The 8 new Hoosier R7's have shipped. Sutton has the other stuff going... BMR Racing is re-routing the rear brake lines out of the driveline tunnel to a safer place - and also away from the heat of the exhaust... as long as we have things torn up. Ron has worked his magic on the geometry... and I would assume his good working relationships with most of the parts suppliers have us in good shape for getting stuff done.

I've discovered that having someone like Ron Sutton do this kind of stuff - managing and figuring things out... saves A TON of time! In the past - I'd have done this on my own. I'd first have to research and learn about what I "think" I'd want to do... then tear stuff apart... then figure out who supplied what.. and find out if they had what I need (they never do because I'd have come up with some BS thing that nobody makes)... and all of that takes a lot of time and energy... Sutton knows where he's taking the car and understands the market for what's needed and just gets it done! Couple that with he's done all the math up front - and then when we hit the track - he knows what's going on and can dial it in with the minimal feedback I can supply. BINGO.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM

If Ron know's how to set up AiM Smarty Cams you've got it all covered.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
The only hangups with the Mustang remodel would be parts not shipping... and I don't think we're running into any issues there so far. I didn't need custom pistons or anything like that in the motor rebuild. The new Carrillo rods weren't a problem (replacing the Olivers). 8 new Formula 43 wheels were spec'd and ordered. The 8 new Hoosier R7's have shipped. Sutton has the other stuff going... BMR Racing is re-routing the rear brake lines out of the driveline tunnel to a safer place - and also away from the heat of the exhaust... as long as we have things torn up. Ron has worked his magic on the geometry... and I would assume his good working relationships with most of the parts suppliers have us in good shape for getting stuff done.

I've discovered that having someone like Ron Sutton do this kind of stuff - managing and figuring things out... saves A TON of time! In the past - I'd have done this on my own. I'd first have to research and learn about what I "think" I'd want to do... then tear stuff apart... then figure out who supplied what.. and find out if they had what I need (they never do because I'd have come up with some BS thing that nobody makes)... and all of that takes a lot of time and energy... Sutton knows where he's taking the car and understands the market for what's needed and just gets it done! Couple that with he's done all the math up front - and then when we hit the track - he knows what's going on and can dial it in with the minimal feedback I can supply. BINGO.
Yup. All on track to run the NorCal Shelby Event October 18-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
If Ron know's how to set up AiM Smarty Cams you've got it all covered.

Nope. Not a clue.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 PM

Ron emailed pics of the new Formula 43 RAD 10 Clubsports and the new Hoosier (DADDY?) A7's mounted up... two complete sets ought to hold me for one weekend of chasing Charley!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 PM

A backup set of F43 wheels.... that's when you know you've "arrived"..

Nice wheel choice. Gwen must have handled that decision.

What sizes are they?
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
A backup set of F43 wheels.... that's when you know you've "arrived"..

Nice wheel choice. Gwen must have handled that decision.

What sizes are they?

I don't understand? Why wouldn't you have a back up set of wheels and tires - and why wouldn't they be the exact same or equivalent?? Takes me two days to get to a track event --- I'm not wasting 4 days going back and forth over not having a stinky set of backup tires and wheels.

Gwen just shrugs her shoulders.

They're Round....

They're 18" X 9.5's

Tires are the same old skinny 245 X 18 X 35ZR
Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM

18's huh.....Did you get a cup holder?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
18's huh.....Did you get a cup holder?
To clear those 15" carbon platinum titanium rotors he'll be upgrading to next.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer