Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Default JRI shocks

I see Detroit speed has switched to JRI shocks with their subframes now. Anyone use these before? Was there a problem with the old style?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

There's nothing wrong with the Afco shocks that DSE has been using. In my opinion, they're a great deal, and a quality all around shock. I've got them on my car, which has complete DSE suspension, and I don't feel the need to change. I'm simply not a good enough driver to warrant going out and replacing something that is already pretty good. The JRI ones are just better. JRI's shocks are supposed to provide much better rebound damping than Afco, which has allowed the DSE test cars to pick up (or would that be lose..?) a bit of time on the track. The Afcos had a bit of a difficult time handling quick transitions, i.e. a really fast, and sharp left-right-left series of turns. I even noticed it a little on a few autocrosses. How much better are the JRI shocks? I'd like to know as well. JRI's are some of the best out there; many of the top competitors are running their shocks. With DSE always looking to up their game, and JRI looking to branch into our segment, I'm really not surprised to see the partnership.

Matt

Last edited by Matt@BOS; 03-21-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 AM

and Mike Maier runs JRI shocks... just sayin. They must be ok.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 AM

For those who are looking to upgrade there koni's or afco's, Wes at DSE tells me the adjustable remote canister JRI's are 900 bucks a piece Im looking for some adjustment and think Im gonna talk with ridetech about there tripples, Im just curious how the ridetech and JRI's differ/compare to each other.

Rich
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ragtp View Post
For those who are looking to upgrade there koni's or afco's, Wes at DSE tells me the adjustable remote canister JRI's are 900 bucks a piece Im looking for some adjustment and think Im gonna talk with ridetech about there tripples, Im just curious how the ridetech and JRI's differ/compare to each other.

Rich
The JRi shocks are MASSIVELY better than the Ride Tech and AFCO stuff. A shock guru I know recently went through and was able to get the AFCO shocks to work in the DSE stuff for about $1000 for a major project car on here. I didn't get any specifics but the shocks weren't even close to right.

Just as a little back story JRi is a team of people that left Penske to make THE best shock on the market for our application. If anyone is looking for a great car setup and shock tuning guy then I would talk to : http://ankenyracingenterprises.com/home.htm
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ragtp View Post

Rich
Looks like double adustables are $999 for the pair. Not bad for a nice set of shocks. Unless that's the price with the subframe only.
http://detroitspeed.com/1967-1969%20...-subframe.html

Coming from a racing background and Penske, I have to wonder about reliability on the street. Shocks are clearly a BIG deal if regards to performance. I doubt DSE would use them unless they are reliable in a street application. They want to be at the front of the pack to sell more parts. Those DSE cars have changed a lot of the past 3 years. Kyle is one hell of a better driver and the cars are more Rowdy to achieve these goals. Just one more step in the progression towards a full blown race series.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Looks like double adustables are $999 for the pair. Not bad for a nice set of shocks. Unless that's the price with the subframe only.
http://detroitspeed.com/1967-1969%20...-subframe.html

Coming from a racing background and Penske, I have to wonder about reliability on the street. Shocks are clearly a BIG deal if regards to performance. I doubt DSE would use them unless they are reliable in a street application. They want to be at the front of the pack to sell more parts. Those DSE cars have changed a lot of the past 3 years. Kyle is one hell of a better driver and the cars are more Rowdy to achieve these goals. Just one more step in the progression towards a full blown race series.
Yeah, that would be $1000 added to your subframe order.

And for those saying the JRIs are massively better than Afco or Ridetech's offerings, that is probably true. I am going to have to pull out a food analogy on this though I would liken the Afco and Ridetech shocks to a good ol' chunk of well marbled choice cut New York steak. The JRI's would be prime. If you asked most of us to cook those two steaks ourselves, they would probably end up tasting pretty similar. My point is that I think you're going to need someone pretty skilled to make the JRIs really shine.

For the cost of upgrading all four corners, I think I would rather just go to driving school for a week. If it was an option at the time of purchase, I'd be willing to shell out the money.

Matt
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
The JRi shocks are MASSIVELY better than the Ride Tech and AFCO stuff.
Based on?
1969 Camaro - Dusty
Old 03-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OLC View Post
Based on?
Marketing of course.
I saw a couple cars At RTTC running other "masively inferior" shocks that ended up doing not to bad.
I am not saying they are not good, better or the best because I have no information to base an opinion on, but the hype is definatly there, the credentials are there no doubt all that should add up to a great product.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm with you Matt. You are getting awful good at these analogies. I'd bet the difference between the afco/jri and ridetech/jri is a a different ball game. One of these days I'll get rid of these single adjustable varishocks and I'll let you know.