Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Photo storage other than photobucket?

Anybody else having issues with photobucket lately? It's so clogged up with garbage ads it barely loads for me even with 60 M internet, and it often locks up and crashes. What a waste of time it's become.

What are some of the better free alternatives for photo storage?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 PM

Amazon s3

https://aws.amazon.com/free/?sc_chan...160831003934:s
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 AM

Picasa Good one
Old 08-31-2016, 08:10 AM

I used to use Google plus, then they changed their formatting and hot linking quit working easily...so I went back to photobucket and have the same experience as you Ben, it is frustrating for sure but I guess we get what we pay for. I have so many pics on photobucket though, it'll be hard to leave and go anywhere else...have seriously thought about becoming a "paid" ad free member justs to see how much faster it gets.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 AM

we do shutterfly. It used to be Kodak gallery but was bought out. Have been using that for at 4-5yrs now. www.shuttefly.com
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input folks. Looks like Picasa has been absorbed by Google. Still gotta check that one out. Shutterfly appears to be free with unlimited uploads while Amazon is free for 12 months and has a pay scale according to usage.

Ironically I got a feedback email from photobucket today. I told them the problems associated with the ads ruin the website experience and their customers will be leaving as a result. They probably already know that and are hoping folks will pay the fee to make the ads go away rather than leave, sort of forcing us into to paying. That's pretty crappy customer service. It is what it is I guess.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
Ironically I got a feedback email from photobucket today. I told them the problems associated with the ads ruin the website experience and their customers will be leaving as a result. They probably already know that and are hoping folks will pay the fee to make the ads go away rather than leave, sort of forcing us into to paying. That's pretty crappy customer service. It is what it is I guess.
Attract enough people and get them hooked and liking your product/service for free, and then eventually monetize it via ads or paid user subscriptions. It's a pretty standard business model since the advent of the internet economy.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 AM

I like photobucket because I can create individual albums for each car or subject and I can organize the pics' order in several different ways. I prefer organizing by file name since I name them like "silver GTO 001, silver GTO 002...". that way I can add more photos later, like from the shop guys' pics, and have them all remain in build chronological order. Creating a link to share is easy. Actually using the website for now is awful unless you pay for it I guess.

Shutterfly does have ability to create specific albums, however organizing within albums by date uploaded is the only option. Creating a link to share is easy. This program seems super easy and clean, and it being cost and ad free and unlimited storage is really appealing. They must make their money by having photo based products available- prints, mugs, etc.

Google photos has a weird way of organizing. It looks like all your photos are in one inclusive album, I don't see a way to create an individual album for each car. Their search is interesting though, the program is able to identify different things within photos, for example I did a search of my photos on tires and it only opened the pics that showed tires on the car. Did the same with a chassis search and it only opened pics of the chassis. The search tool isn't perfect as it didn't bring up all the photos that had tires, so if you're looking for a specific pic in a large album of pics it may take some trial and error. Creating a link to share is easy.

Hope this info helps others.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Attract enough people and get them hooked and liking your product/service for free, and then eventually monetize it via ads or paid user subscriptions. It's a pretty standard business model since the advent of the internet economy.
That makes business sense, but in this case earning revenue from the companies that post ads which ultimately kill website performance and then charging customers money to alleviate the problem by avoiding the ads that companies pay for, screws everyone.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
That makes business sense, but in this case earning revenue from the companies that post ads which ultimately kill website performance and then charging customers money to alleviate the problem by avoiding the ads that companies pay for, screws everyone.
Its doesn't make business sense at some point it will fail to exist. Ain't no such thing as free.

Photobucket uploads way faster the drop box.