Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Default Wilwood install question

I started installing my Wilwood brake kit last night and can't get the caliper to center on the rotor. The rotor passes through the caliper diagonally. I'm guessing it's a mounting issue with the adapter bracket. I used the washer(s) specified by Wilwood's instructions (wondering why they were needed, but wanted to follow the instructions). This makes the bracket face diagonal to the rotor face. It's not parallel to the rotor like you'd think it should be. My car is a factory drum car, so I used the hardware for a drum spindle to mount the caliper. The variance isn't huge, probably 1/16" - 1/8" What's considered acceptable?

Thanks!
GeoffP
68 Camaro LT1/T-56 4.10
87 Camaro IROC-Z LT1/4L60E 3.23
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM

You should be able to shim it until it is very even clearance side to side. But with that said, you have pistons on either side of the caliper, and as long as you have a free wheeling hub before you use the brakes, the caliper pistons will firm it up first time you hit the brakes.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 AM

I just ran into this same problem tonite while installing my six piston Wilwood kit on my 66 Chevelle. The shimming of the bracket wasn't clear at first to me, but after I got a few steps further into the install, found exactly what you found and shimmed it to match up much better. I just don't like how Wilwood doesn't supply safety wire, and new cotter pins with the kit. Now I know why Frank supplies safety wire and pliers with his kits.

This Wilwood thing is fresh to me although we've sold kits in the past, I've been using BAER on my personal cars for 5 years, but on this car thought I'd try something new... I have to say, I'm liking Wilwood so far....