Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Carbon Fiber vs Goodmark 2" steel cowl induction hood for 67 to 69

I need to make a decision on a hood. I know that a Goodmark will have filler from one end to the other to make it fit right. My question is does a CF hood fit right? I have seen them on a few members cars and you can see that some are off a little and some fit pretty nice. Those that have them, would you do it again. Please PM me if you want to keep your opinion private.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I've bought a hood, as well as numerous other parts from Anvil. I'm guessing you're referring to them and since I've dealt with them here goes my opinion. Their stuff fits pretty well. Our car has aftermarket front fenders and at one time, had an aftermarket header panel, that seemed to screw everything up. I ended up getting their header panel as a replacement to the one that was crap. Overall, their stuff fits well. I can't say that it was "perfect." You won't get high end, tight gaps, by just bolting their stuff on. like anything, you'll need a little filler if you're looking for perfect, but that is like anything else. The edges of the panels weren't as crisp as the guys at the shop wanted, and they noted that they were a little rounded. Also there were some high and low spots, but nothing bad. As we were fitting the front metal (and carbon fiber) the hood didn't fit perfectly, and one edge, was high, while the other was low. I was worried the hood was the problem, but after D!ck at Best of Show worked his magic adjusting everything, it all fit into place nicely.

I hope that helps give you an idea of how the carbon fiber stuff fits. While there were a couple little issues, I hope those didn't come across as negatives. Nothing, not even an original hood would fit perfectly.
We made the decision to go with Anvil's carbon fiber stuff because we figured the price difference would even out when it came to the amount of time it would take to straighten everything out. While we didn't keep track of the hours, I'm guessing that statement is probably true. Our experience with them has been great. I know their header panel fits a hell of a lot better than some other companies. If wanted the look of bare carbon fiber, I'd run their stuff without paint, and I'd be happy.

Oh and if you're in the area stop by and pay them a visit. They have a really cool shop.

Matt

Last edited by Matt@BOS; 09-06-2009 at 09:32 PM.