Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Default Moog, Proforged, Hotchkis, etc. steering components-which one?

Talking specifically about steering components: looking for quality components that'll take city road abuse and work well on an occasional road course. From what I've read opinions are all over the place. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:12 PM

I used the tall Proforged upper ball joints on a 70 Chevelle and was very impressed with their quality and fit. so far nothing has let go and I can be tough on things. my 2cents.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 PM

when we did the suspension on my brothers 67 chevelle we used the full setup from SC&C, with the AFX spindles etc... I posed the same question to Marcus, and from what I remember of the conversation it seemed that the new stuff from moog is also made in china these days and may or may not be any better than the no name stuff at the parts store, his suggestion was to reuse any of the old stuff that didn't show signs of wear/slop as they may be better quality than anything you get new, and anything that needed replaced go with whatever has the best replacement warranty from whatever local parts house you deal with. Unfortunately all of his stuff needed replaced, so after much research and reading forums we found the Pro Forged stuff, if I remember right it was a thread over at the team chevelle forum that somebody from Pro Forged chimed in on and revealed that their stuff was not made in china but some other Asian country (Taiwan maybe?) but their quality control and materials were better than any of the Chinese stuff blah blah blah. anyway after pricing stuff from the local parts house and comparing to the pro forged stuff we ended up buying the kit from proforged which came with all the steering components we needed including some nice looking aluminum toe adjusters, all the other parts had some sort of black coating on them so they look much nicer than the bare ones you get everywhere else. We haven't gotten the car completed yet so we haven't been able to drive on them yet so I don't have any feedback about longevity or anything.

I know this may not be of much help but it seems that's one part of the equation the after market hasn't really stepped up to when it comes to all the suspension goodies available, and these components i'm sure will wear out much faster anyway due to the added loads with the better suspension and tires we have now.

72 Nova SS, Plans have changed a little:artmorrison front subframe, and rear 3 link, pretty much stock ls1 and six speed with a single turbo for around 550hp. with a few other things mixed in.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct

and why do we modify everything...."BECAUSE STOCK SUCKS"
Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Another vote for Proforged. Their e-coat lasts forever and we've punished their products on thousands of road course laps, auto-x laps and hundreds of drag passes.

ramey
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

We have gravitated to the ProForged components as well. We used to use Moog stuff, but the consistency of quality and delivery have suffered greatly over the past 5 years.
Yes, the Proforged components are made offshore [Moog is made mostly in Mexico]. I am as big a proponent as anyone for American made products...unless there is clear evidence that American made is inferior or unavailable. The Proforged pieces are not just "the best we can do"...they are really strong and well made units. In addition, their business model supports consistent delivery and prompt development of new products.
Air Ride Technologies, Inc.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 PM

Glad to hear what we ended up with seems to be the best available option.

72 Nova SS, Plans have changed a little:artmorrison front subframe, and rear 3 link, pretty much stock ls1 and six speed with a single turbo for around 550hp. with a few other things mixed in.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct

and why do we modify everything...."BECAUSE STOCK SUCKS"