Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Default To watermark or not to watermark...

A recent post response to a rendering thread...

"...these are beautiful. Id like to suggest though that you add a watermark to what you place on a board for renderings and stuff. I saw a car this year at a large show that shall not be named that 90% of EVERYTHING was identical to what an innovative company had designed- right down to spoliers and 'hard to find ' parts that they made. The only thing different was the color. And I know the original design was plastered all over the internet before it was finished and Im sure some backwoods company thought it was cool to steal the desgns- instead of paying for them like shops SHOULD be doing. YOU renderers (Is that a word?LOL) are worth your weight in gold to see the builders vision- and people shouldnt forget that!

DAMN shame.

First off, Thanks Lenny! This is a topic I saw on another art based forum and a couple guys have asked me about it as well. We pretty openly post here, and anticipate that everyone here respects our ownership of the art and designs. But, there's always somebody that doesn't. I designed a diner last year and someone later involved with the project tried to steal the design rights claiming he designed it so he could go off and franchise it. The owner spent a bunch of money and we both spent a bunch of time with laywers to show that we owned the designs and when the other guy was served court papers he backed down and settled out of court agreeing to go away and never associate himself with anything to do with the project. What a waste and pain it was because of someone dishonest.

We're going to ramp up the monthly art show next month, so should we start putting water marks on our work? I haven't because I didn't want to be the oddball and I don't mind if someone here uses my art as a desktop or prints it and hangs a copy in their work cubicle, but if I ever see my art getting used for commercial purposes I'll come unglued. What do you all think?

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Seems to be a pretty sticky subject. That I am aware of it hasn't been a problem for me. For people that it has been a problem or people who use art as their only means of putting food on the table, then I often see water marks. Would a water mark stop someone from building a car that looked exactly like the drawing? Be tough to prove. As far as designing a product or something marketable, I think it is obvious to have it registered if you don't want it taken. Unfortunately, dishonestly and humans are found together too often. Nothing will stop someone from doing it but if you've already claimed the rights legally, you have the law on your side.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Absolutely, without a doubt!!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. If you make money on your talent, skills and creativity, protect yourself and your clients that are paying for the work. I've learned the hard way and it's not a good feeling.

Colter has a great point, now that this is my family's primary income, I'm forced to be aggressive about preventing this stuff. It's too bad, there are so many projects I'd love to post but can't.

Hermance Design
My Facebook

Last edited by Hdesign; 01-06-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the insight, both of you. I've felt a bit weird thinking of putting it on there for things I've posted here only because I didn't see others doing it. I think I may do something like this in the future and hopefully everyone viewing can understand and look past it and enjoy the art. Maybe we all should.

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build
Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM

I think the only thing a watermark will do is keep someone from using it and saying it was their idea. Nothing can stop someone from using the style, colors, or look from a photo, rendering, and using it on their car. If it is that important dont show anyone.

I would put a mark on it, If someone really wants it, they should give you something, even if it is just for the wall, at least something to help the cause.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Anyone currently or considering sellings prints of their designs? I know I'd buy a few as decorations around the house.

It is great to be back in the States!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:05 PM

I'm actually going to be doing that later in the year. I'll be sure to post their availability when the time comes.

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM

I have to second Ben here too. Stuff I've sold the rights to, no one but the client has ever seen. What I DON'T need is my clients getting ripped off. I've been given permission to post them but I think I get enough traffic just posting the drawings I do for fun and family and the drawings I do of existing cars or cars that are going to be built. For me, those sorts of drawings are well protected because to steal them only makes the thief look bad. It's all too easy to prove they are mine or they belong to the person who had me draw them and we hang out on forums like this so we can publicly bash people like that if they make the mistake of claiming one of our drawings or designs. heheehe. No one is going to hate you for protecting yourself though. If they do hate you then it just means that they don't get it. Also I think style is natural protection. When you see a Hermance drawing ... you know it's a Hermance drawing. How stupid would you have to be to try to say it's yours? My greatest goal is to define my style as my own.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM

oh, and I'm totally open to selling prints of at least some of my stuff. Some of it I can't but I'm all for it.